2024 Catalogue

StuLarge

27 minutes ago, LTSR_NSE said:

Why on earth would Key Model World/Key Publishing go to the trouble & expense of printing something that is freely available on a manufacturer’s website?

I’d say because money was involved. Hornby Magazine has a circulation of 20,051 with 8716 being on subscription (ABC ratings) Even the Forum has just shy of 1m members. Hornby’s own digital reach is worth much more. 
The likelihood is that a digital version of catalogue would not have taken a single ‘extra’ sale away, probably boosted them for those like me who prefer a printed copy. What is critical is to get the shop window working. 

22 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

I’d say because money was involved. Hornby Magazine has a circulation of 20,051 with 8716 being on subscription (ABC ratings) Even the Forum has just shy of 1m members. Hornby’s own digital reach is worth much more. 
The likelihood is that a digital version of catalogue would not have taken a single ‘extra’ sale away, probably boosted them for those like me who prefer a printed copy. What is critical is to get the shop window working. 

Little bit of hyperbole there surely?

This forum does not have nearly 1m active users. The vast vast majority haven't posted in years, if not decades, mostly after posts in the single digits. Presumably all of Hornby Magazine's subscribers are actively opting in to receive it.

Edited by moawkwrd

That’s a fair comment but it’s the only publicly available figure regarding the Hornby Website (?) but the point is they have the data to appeal directly to potential customers. The TT:120 Club has 30k people signed up to it. You could say that 50% (it’s probably more) of Hornby magazine purchasers have no interest in TT:120. 
Potential marketing reach is the the headline figure. HM tops out at 20k. The interesting thing about TT:120 is the appeal to those previously not in or recently in the hobby. How many of us were buying any model railway magazine prior to TT:120 initial launch? Might make an interesting poll for info to feed back to Hornby 

Interestingly, for a while, the new catalogue cover showed in the image thumbnail on the Hornby website even though the original version was displayed after clicking on the link. Currently, the thumbnail is back to showing the original cover. I wonder whether it was changed back due to the agreement with Key Publishing and showing the new cover was deemed to contravene the agreement. 

It also shows that Hornby can update the website easily when they can be bothered!

PS 7 days left for the next edition of the TT120 Club magazine to appear during the promised month of April! maybe they'll both be released together

Edited by Moccasin
clarity

I don’t think it’s that difficult, but then I know my way around the store.

In the shop menu just choose Hornby TT:120 and then the same first menu item “Hornby TT:120” and one of the tiles displayed is brochures and guides - the catalogue is in there. 

I might be wrong, but in the Track Plans section of the catalogue the Diamond Crossings look like they are labelled incorrectly. They seem to have the right numbers for the RH crossing and the LH crossing, but have swapped the pieces.

Could be me.