2024 Catalogue

StuLarge

2 hours ago, LTSR_NSE said:

Hmm and maybe movies could be released to stream for free on the same day they’re released in the cinema… can’t think of any commercial reason why that could be a problem!

I would imagine that a pdf version will be made available after the next issue of Hornby Magazine is released (& catalogue issue is withdrawn) - to maximise sales of the catalogue!

What has movies got to do with it?   No mention was made or reference to that.

The TT 1:120 Catalogue is a 'free' giveaway' so should not be any reason to have a download in the members area.

The catalogue is included with the magazine, therefore it is only intended to initially be ‘free’ to purchasers/subscribers - not gen pop!

I used movies as an example of a product that is initially only available to a limited paying group (cinema patrons) & only released to gen pop later (once cinema ticket revenue has been maximised.)

Surely they are associated though? Hornby Magazine will have a contract to use the manufacturer’s name.

With the TT120 club gong digital only, they were unlikely to print anything themselves. The PDF will presumably be available with the next 10 days or so.

I think Hornby  magazine  have  an agreement or  permission  from  Hornby  to  use the name, thats all.  As far  as l'm  aware,  they  are not connected  in any  way  unless  thats changed  over  the last  couple  of years.

Yes but that will require a licence. Point being that they are associated by sharing the name. Hornby have also supported them by providing pre-production models for their TT120 model. So relations are clearly pretty good. 

2 minutes ago, Moccasin said:

Yes but that will require a licence. Point being that they are associated by sharing the name. Hornby have also supported them by providing pre-production models for their TT120 model. So relations are clearly pretty good. 

I think the main reason that Key Model World likes to clearly differentiate themselves from Hornby Group, is because of editorial freedom. Sometimes they get attacked (wrongly) for being stooges of the Hornby Group. Those types of attacks tend to go something like, “of course the magazine named ‘Hornby’ gives a good review to Hornby’s latest train.” While in truth, they have complete freedom to criticize any Hornby model they please.

I will say that most of the traditional model railway magazines tend to be friendly with the manufacturers. They’ll critique the products, but they won’t be overtly hostile. I think that’s a fair position to take in the model railway world. Someone reporting on large financial institutions or large food corporations should have a more adversarial approach when it comes to their relationship. In the world of model railways, things are smaller and more intimate. The stakes are also smaller and companies in a more financially precarious position. Hornby, Bachmann, and Dapol are not reaping billions in profits. Some like to criticize “big model trains,” when in truth even the largest player is still a small business. 

No need to be a brute in this industry. 

But you are right that Hornby Magazine/Key Model World does have a warm relationship with Hornby Group. Besides licensing the name, Key Model World also publishes the yearly Hornby OO range catalogue. They also received exclusive news like the first images of the CAD renders of the KFA wagons. And of course, they were one of the first stockists to officially begin selling Hornby TT:120. They also stocking HM7000 too. So, they clearly do have a good relationship.

• Like 1

From a manufacturers perspective it was a poor decision to not support their own range with a self published brochure from immediately after range launch. Allowing Hornby magazine an add on is one thing but they are only a licensee of the name on a magazine. Ask yourself why Key Model World wanted that name? It’s a strong brand, Hornby should not allow the tail to wag the dog.

Lazy, cheap and ultimately flawed by Hornby Management. They really do need to professional marketeers in there ASAP 

Edited by Rallymatt
Sense
  • Like 1

Blimey this has been rumbling on for weeks now! Hornby can (and regularly do) what they like and owe us nothing… I’m with Hornby on this one. If they did print the catalogue and sold it for £5 then that’s no different to buying it with the magazine so just buy the magazine and throw it in the recycling if you genuinely do not enjoy reading modelling mags. As far as posting it online, we’ve all waited months for TT content in the past so what’s a few weeks? They could have done the announcement with no catalogue at all! It’s all on the website to preorder. 
That’s my two cents anyway, it’s just getting too negative and there’s enough Hornby bashing on YouTube without bringing it here. They’re trying hard to get us what we want and I doubt a catalogue is top of the priority list. (I already have read the comments to disagree with me above so no need to repeat, it seems I am in the minority and that is fine. Just wanted to put a different opinion in on that catalogue).

• Like 5

I found the most useful part of the catalogue to be in the track section. There is a diagram showing the geometry and part numbers. I have not found this on the website but I might have missed it.

The actual plans I have not found so useful except for showing how a few of the components relate. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, taunmarc88 said:

Blimey this has been rumbling on for weeks now! Hornby can (and regularly do) what they like and owe us nothing… I’m with Hornby on this one. If they did print the catalogue and sold it for £5 then that’s no different to buying it with the magazine so just buy the magazine and throw it in the recycling if you genuinely do not enjoy reading modelling mags. As far as posting it online, we’ve all waited months for TT content in the past so what’s a few weeks? They could have done the announcement with no catalogue at all! It’s all on the website to preorder. 
That’s my two cents anyway, it’s just getting too negative and there’s enough Hornby bashing on YouTube without bringing it here. They’re trying hard to get us what we want and I doubt a catalogue is top of the priority list. (I already have read the comments to disagree with me above so no need to repeat, it seems I am in the minority and that is fine. Just wanted to put a different opinion in on that catalogue).

Agreed. Distribution of the catalogue would have been quite an expensive, unnecessary hit to their revenue. The initial printed 2022 version was clearly a loss leader to demonstrate their commitment and draw people in. The cost to them this time around will likely be much less.

They’re trying a different tack with TT120 and with no tradition, would likely not have wanted to create expectations of them printing an annual catalogue. This way was a good compromise and the track plans and geometry were a nice addition. No doubt both Hornby and Key Publishing will evaluate the success of the initiative and see if it met expectations on both sides. 

• Like 4

The track I have just ordered must have covered the cost of the included Hornby magazine catalogue many, many times over. For a first TT:120 layout I am finding  the Hornby track to be perfectly adequate and I do like the larger radius points when compared to OO.

I have used Peco at OO gauge and I am aware of the advantages but for now I just want to get something built and fairly quickly at that.

@dBerriff Hornby track is great for the quick start. I’m indecisive with track plans and set track has been invaluable. The points as you say are good, they look much more realistic that the OO radius 2 curve ones!

@Moccasin I have always loved set track plans from Hornby or Peco, Such a nice touch. There’s nothing stopping those of us with software from replicating something similar and sharing them… not a bad idea! 

I appreciate the cost implications of print and distribution however an online version is very inexpensive as the artwork is all done. Being critical of mistakes is not same as being negative, I am concerned that Hornby still seem to be rudderless in marketing. I can’t think of another major brand (across all industries) that doesn’t keep their ‘brochure’ up to date and available in some form. 

Hoping that a tt120 track plans book is in the pipeline as you would think that's quite a crucial part in making people want to build a layout, for people who want something more than the set track and extensions that Hornby have at the moment.   

1 hour ago, Rallymatt said:

I appreciate the cost implications of print and distribution however an online version is very inexpensive as the artwork is all done. Being critical of mistakes is not same as being negative, I am concerned that Hornby still seem to be rudderless in marketing. I can’t think of another major brand (across all industries) that doesn’t keep their ‘brochure’ up to date and available in some form. 

It would make more sense to invest the time and resources into improving the website in this day and age. Far more convenient and easier to keep up to date. Hornby is struggling at the moment to keep it error free to begin with.

This aligns with the move away from annual range releases to announcing things closer to when they’ll arrive as well.

A brochure/catalogue is a nice to have throwback to pre-internet times but not a deal breaker really, and if the above is the new way of doing things it’ll be out of date almost immediately anyway.

Lastly, I imagine the lack of a PDF at the moment is due to the exclusivity deal with Hornby magazine whilst that issue is still on sale so likely it’ll be added to the website around the start of next month when their June issue comes out.

Edited by moawkwrd
  • Like 2

I was suggesting the ‘on-line’ brochure should have gone live as soon as 2024 announcements were made, those wanting a physical brochure had the Hornby Magazine option. I doubt that would have detracted from sales of HM. My understanding is the brochure content is commissioned by Hornby and the files sent to KMWP just to print/print distribute, but it’s done now. The digital presence is absolutely critical these days and as so many have said it isn’t well managed 

• Like 3

I think some of you have blown this out of all proportion.  I'm pretty certain that Hornby (the manufacturer) will have had an agreement with Hornby (the magazine) that they wouldn't put up a pdf version of the catalogue until they release the next issue of the magazine. The mag will have had many more sales due to this so wouldn't want to see their sales plumet because people went elsewhere. 

Mountain out of a molehill. 

Edited by Hobby1707822967
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rallymatt said:

I was suggesting the ‘on-line’ brochure should have gone live as soon as 2024 announcements were made, those wanting a physical brochure had the Hornby Magazine option. I doubt that would have detracted from sales of HM. My understanding is the brochure content is commissioned by Hornby and the files sent to KMWP just to print/print distribute, but it’s done now. The digital presence is absolutely critical these days and as so many have said it isn’t well managed 

That's what I was trying to say yesterday.  😃  

Why on earth would Key Model World/Key Publishing go to the trouble & expense of printing something that is freely available on a manufacturer’s website?

Yes Hornby could have uploaded the pdf on release day and simply told those interested in a physical copy to take a hike.

Instead they’ve opted for an arrangement with a publisher to make a printed version viable with an exclusive deal.  Anyone who wants a free digital version only has to wait a short time! (Unfortunately that apparently is an unpleasant feat for those who desire immediate gratification.)

Edited by LTSR_NSE
Grammar
  • Like 4