What's on your workbench?

81F

Hi Teedoubledee 

You have no reason to apologise I asked for ideas.

And you gave what you homestly believed to be fair and reasonable ideas no one can ask for more than that..

Even one I will have to think about 😆

To every one else thanks for your input now for a cuppa and think because all of the ideas are good ones 😆 .

thanks all

regards John

@Buz

I am really sorry but I am going to have to make a really bad joke and I hope you will not take offence...

I think we'll have to call you "Buz kight your (light year) hut". Anyway enough of the bad puns. Have you got an interior? pehaps a small stove underneath the stovepipe. I fabricated one once from a bit of wire and a 00 dustbin (though other bit of tube would do for my signal box - will post photo shortly

Hi 81F

EEK bad pun!!  naughty corner for you 😉 😆

It has no interior  your the second person who has said, I might just as well have gone the extra yard to make it the whole 9 yards, by having at least some interior detail bit late for that roof and basewell stuck down

The next project will have some sort of interior details when I work out how to carve up the large Hornby per way hut and turn it into a tiny station building that should just about be posible if not plenty suitable kits around.

Or I could cheat and sort of follow an artical in Australian Railway Modeller on how to turn a cooper craft hut into a station building if I can find the artical.

Hmm I wonder if the fire place can be done with the electric fire effect put in it that really would be OTT.

For the current hut project a dustbin out side the door is yet another possible.

regards John

Hi Buz

I remember seeing at least one company that makes circitry for various flashin/flickering lights at exhibitions and on the net/eBay. They do bonfires, fireplaces, blacksdmiths, arc and gas welding lights. Indeed I may have bought one for the planned smithy at the Chirk end of my layout but I cannot remember for sure - Old age

I've also literally searched "model railway fireplace".and got a hit with two lazer cut fireplaces with flickering lights for just under a fiver.

• 2 weeks later...

/media/tinymce_upload/ae6d9d2a61eac112ca01481a8d4f2447.JPG

Hi all  

This is why you don't throw anything out.

We have a set of modern Hornby wheels the chassis off of a 1970's I think?? prime pork van its roof is missing and an old  Triang flat top body its chassis had an axle box disintigrate while doing a wheel change.

Not an acurate model by any stretch but a usable piece of rolling stock from the junk box. 

More or less all atributable to Hornby or its ancestors.

Just need a load for it now and don't have the original Triang one.

The prime pork body will get a corrugatted iron roof and become a yard store or something.

regards John

I'm in the process of upgrading a pair of short LNER clerestories.  Body sides have been coated with teak varnish, weights have been added.  Currently working on a basic interior to limit the originals see-through look.  Bogies have been replaced by Railroad teak style, which have been altered to take some slim line couplers.  Glazing will be replaced by South Eastern Finecast items./media/tinymce_upload/70a29b295c45e1e60a72e405f6421fd5.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/99134a542a6f63959199de13f7cd4218.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/61c0086e99ff43c1aa40307a74a008e5.JPG

My workbench consists of a couple of sections of my layout that does not have any scenery or track. I am currently constructing the "new" Metcalfe Main Line Station and incorporating lights. I have also, very successfully, converted some Ratio SR Concrete Lamp Posts to full operating lights with very small LED's - total cost per lamp £1.50 - they look fantastic.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought four Tri-ang suburban non-corridor coaches off ebay recently - they worked out at £3.50 each including postage and I cannot resist a bargain.  They were in fair condition but needed a repaint (I hate the look of unpainted plastic even if it is the right colour).

/media/tinymce_upload/4d9fcdac46eff0bb162de30e7027a4cd.JPG

First job was to remove the chunky plastic Tri-ang wheels that sit loose on metal axles.  These had to go as they don't like modern trackwork.  I replaced them with spares I had lying around.  Lima wheels have shorter axles than Hornby or Bachmann, and these fitted the top hat bearing better.

/media/tinymce_upload/885fac9e30b4b0a59288fd1f037d280a.JPG

Then I stripped off some paint that the previous owner had used, and gave them a re-spray.  My can of BR crimson ran out after one coach, so the other three are in BR maroon - unlined.  After transfers were added a gave them a spray of matt varnish - it gives a dull weathered look that I think is quite appropriate for this type of stock.  I also cut some acetate sheet for glazing the three coaches that were missing their original glazing - the sheet came from the front of a shirt box.

/media/tinymce_upload/95981151da75032b0d71e8c295e48bbe.JPG

Final jobs yet to do: fill in the holes in the axle boxes, paint the footboards black where a bit of maroon overspray has occured, and make some basic interiors.  I won't worry about seats, but once compartment partitions are added they probably won't be that obvious.

So they may not be as accurate as the Bachmann BR suburban coaches, but I reckon I've got four Tri-angs for the price of one Bachmann.

• 3 weeks later...

/media/tinymce_upload/56c2622d7921ec7123a34bf7c166f207.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/8fd052ac96bcb50b0dcda728c1e2d698.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/e17719158566754855d6e01371b12eb0.JPG

I have been building a DC Kits BR(S) 'short' Hastings DEMU of class 6S. So far so good, but I have hit a bit of a snag, as the kit ignores the fact that these units had exposed conduits along the roof. This was unique to this series of Hastings DEMUs as the long sets didn't have them.

I have confirmed that they DID have these exposed conduits which were a very 'Southern' feature that appeared on Maunsell and Bulleid steam carriages as well as electric multiple units (look at the Hornby 2Bil and 2Hal and you will see them) . What I do not have are any close up pictures of the coach roofs or better still a set of drawings. I do have the Skinley drawings BUT these are for the longer 6L sets built after the 6S and the lighting circuits were concealed in the roof.

Anyone out there got any?

Have you tried the RMWeb. There's been a few good builds in the past of emu's on there with photos of the prototypes. But I couldn't till you if any are the right Class.

Yes thanks, and straight away I got some useful pictures.

Well I have also been busy painting Dapol figures, workers and passengers. They have taken ages to do and I inadvertently did not fit the lid properly back on my Humbrol matt black. At present I can't get hold of any but will visit Trident models next week on a day out we are planning. I am sure he will have some. I have done most of the black but have noticed that small patches needed going over. I must say that I am glad that I didn't buy the 120 Preiser people pack as it would have sent me loopy doing all those as well. I have 3 sets of Britannia nameplates to fix to locos and one complete renumbering and naming to do.

My other interest at present is my car and that takes up some of my time, driving and polishing. Mad I know but it really has got me back into cars. Luckily it is more sophisticated from my last venture into cars that I cannot mess with tuning etc

@Vespa

If you have any matt varnish you can use that over gloss to give a matt finish.

Rog, you have just reminded me I do have some gloss black with other gloss tinlets in an Airfix Old Time bus I have not got around to yet. (nearly 2 years)

Just finished hard wiring a DCC chip onto a Standard Hornby 0-6-0 chassis. This time it will go into my Jinty 16564 (repainted form a BR one). This is the fifth time I've done one for this loco but have previously changed my mind and used the chassis in other Hornby 0-6-0s.

Now to program the thing.

Not sure if a computer consitutes a workbench but I've just finished the 3D modelling for my Camping Coach Interior for a short Triang Clerestory Composite, and just ordered the partions (biege bits) from shapeways in WSF (see below).

If it fits I'll order the remaining parts (bed linin & white table top in WSF with the brown furiture and kitchen units in FUD).

Now of to finish painting the body and look for the roof!/media/tinymce_upload/d9cbf67ffff7b971bd68d122a29977e4.PNG