What's on your workbench?

81F

I watch the experts place locos on the track and it takes a couple of seconds , with me more like a couple of minutes and with lower back problems it can be difficult straightening up again. So I’ve built a single track extension behind the backscene and accessed through a tunnel enabling me to place locos on the track whilst seated.  And it’s worked a treat!

Roy

/media/tinymce_upload/e3a685136cda4270069e8b214e940da5.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/7b0fa6ce372dff418cd4966dcef19ecd.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/6e329f43d0261aa441fb2fb51f342f74.jpg 

/media/tinymce_upload/964290fae60977144eb1e0b7bb484c16.jpgHaving looked again at the photos my 2721 Saddle Tank looks more like a 1701 so I've ordered plastes for 1751. It is now on a railroad Jinty Chassis (saves repainting the con rods!). All I need to do is touch up sone of the green and black around the splashers, add plates whistles, brake pipes, transfers, new tank filler and varnish then fit the buffer heads.

/media/tinymce_upload/a548312b87f9483bc3c3943aa4ece3bd.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/99b50c0be069af6b16b46c626e2a9ca3.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/788ec5725997cd863e9c44badeb1c32a.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/5a9c6abb4b4caf8ee2474715fc486bc7.jpg

Trying to get my head round this:

The small black 'Pico' box turns the laptop into an oscilloscope and what looks like a 'soldering iron' is a probe tapping off the DCC signal between the Elite Track output and the ESU decoder tester with its Sapphire decoder. The display on screen is the DCC waveform and the data packets are shown in the coloured bar along the trace.

/media/tinymce_upload/aa1a5e586daa17a4da7b63e78b88b74f.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Last week purchased a class 2P TTS decoder from Sheffield and installed into Hornby S&DJR 2P loco but not happy with sound reproduction from the basic speaker so just upgraded the speaker with a YouChoos Flame 10 brick speaker.........a marked difference in the sound quality, more base and no distortion in higher frequencies........very pleased, HB

/media/tinymce_upload/f7c2164ce5b12f18306229aa4accac4d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not so much my work bench but I thought I ought to do something to the layout as there has been no real progres for probably around five years!

As the end by the section under the station was a rather flexible open plan section (8mm ply on 2"x1" goal posts I have strengthened the edged by adding a 2"x1" longitudingal beam. Oddly this was prompted by me fitting my first DCC point decoder and having nowhere to put it!

Next stage will be to provide a hinge down mounting plate for said decoder and wire in the second.

I am about to start attaching a permanent wagon with pickups to my Huntley and Palmers 0-4-0 Peckett. Thought I'd wait until Christmas was out of the way. 

Presumably because it stalls on points? I find DODO does if I go too slowly but mine has just enough momentum to carry it over my PECO insufrog points at a still authentic looking speed. Watch out for the whisle though, I bent mine and may have to replace it.

/media/tinymce_upload/6a810a391fe5a9fa4aa8c93543b25c98.JPG 

Somehow the Hornby coke wagon looks MUCH too clean.

Back before the Miner's strike we sent coke from BSC Orgreaves to Scun thorpe  7 days a week 24 hours a day, and for that we had a mixture of Coke wagons and 21 ton coal hopper wagons, usually hauled by  pair of class 31s in multiple.  Whole train loads of them empty would wait in sidings at Broughton Lane to be worked through to the sidings at Orgreaves when required, the BSC shunting engines would be in the go constantly  taking empties down into the plant and bringing full ones up, and the trains got absolute priority because without coke they could not produce steel in the blast furnaces. 

The wagons were always black and filty, so although the Hornby model is a faithful representation of the shape, it looked nothing like the colour of the real thing! So I decided to have a go at weathering one. A bit drastic I know, but there is a picture of a real one behind for comparison so I don't think I have been too brutal!

Nothing on my bench at the moment as its all in my bag waiting to be carried back home at the weekend.

In the bag is a pair of motor bogies for an Atlas tram, several DVD motors for ringfield modification, a GM shuttle unit for the tram, and a PICKIT3 device so I can learn to program PIC chips ready for some upcoming trials.

Due to the massive increases in prices (Yes moan again) I have decided to get some Dapol tank wagon kits and some Meat Van kits. So over the next few months I shall be putting them together. That is £42 for 9 wagons (approx). OK so there is paint that I already have, Halfords matt black, grey for the van roofs and brown undercoat matt for the van sides. The vans may get a coat of Humbrol suitable brown which I already have several variations. I will be fitting top hat bearings, which I have. So that lot should keep me happy for a while.

The Dapol mineral wagon (ex Airfix)  kit and the tank wagon kit are still one of the best you can get . 

The mineral wagon is sold as the vacuum braked fitted version, although the painting instructions are (or used to be) for the unfitted one.  To build as an unfitted wagon omit one set of brake shoes, and do not add the vacuum cylinders and pipes. If you build it as a fitted one the body is painted bauxite.

For comparison here are a fitted one alongside an unfitted one.

/media/tinymce_upload/3a275f1e677235084abaab2ba2c2535b.jpg

Many of the tanks were sold to BR for use at loco depots. Like this one.

/media/tinymce_upload/14705de3e15228959264e752b9450f6b.jpg