What's on your workbench?

81F

brilliant Rob you should do the real police class 37  .

Too many of them available in the shops... 

and 67s in disguise What next

The 90 has a 67 chip in it...

not with flashing lights and sirens there not !!! .

you should do a how to article RAF96 

@Olly

the blue lights were self flashing 3mm leds hooked onto the TTS aux output controlled by F25, normally I hang my cab lights on here.

the sirens were a one off (there won't be any more) in lieu of the spirax valve, controlled by F17, although if you have a LOKprogrammer you can pull all kinds of sirens files from free web sources and blow them onto a suitable chip, but not  TTS one though.

Rob

I too have a couple of narrow boat models s, nothing too special, one was the Scaleddale "butty" while the other is a craftline balso model like Sarahagain's.

The so called butty seems to be more like the steam narrow boat "President" so I printed a set of replacement cabin sides to make a conversion. Similarly with the Craftline one I made my own Fellows Morton & Clayton sides by printing from photos off the net.

Sadly with going for Railmaster I may need the proposed location for the canal basin for my Computer monitor but I need to move things around in the railway room to be sure.

"Not the tidyest workbench  I know, but my retrograde recreation of the Hornby Dublo N2 but in O gauge reaches an advance stage"

Reminds me of one of those puzzles.  "How many objects can you see in this picture".  😀

It's much tidier than my workbench BTW.

A puzzle, especially when I forget where I put something!!  That reminds me - In the Cubs they had something called 'Kims Game' . A tray of miscellaneous objects was covered by a cloth, which was removed so that a contestant could study and memorise the objects but then the cloth was replaced quickly after. The contestent then had to say what was in the tray. The winner gave the largest number of correct answers.  (I suppose a bit like the conveyor belt in the Generation Game).

Of course there was the real Police 37 (see the advert below)

Which is what started it all and the recent issue of Kernow's Police Class 47 to complement the original Class 37 version - (not my photo)...

/media/tinymce_upload/47cdf1adf26cdb8eac9f3068ee7d37de.jpg

I was working for BR at Newcastle on Tyne when the 37 in Police livery made the film run for the advertsiment.  It was shot from a helicopter on the West Line near Haltwhistle.  We were sworn to secrecy and the loco was hurriedly sent away to be repainted afterwards.  A flashing blue light in a dome was attached just before filming because it was out of gauge and would have been knocked off by any bridge over the line.

I believe the 47 was painted much later and that filming took place on the Western Region.

/media/tinymce_upload/b610264c7125f246d948e1d093c39c64.JPG I too have a couple of narrow boat models s, nothing too special, one was the Scaleddale "butty" while the other is a craftline balso model like Sarahagain's...

A photo of the crafline model with artwork from phots off the net:

Have you found a way of making them 'go' yet? 

Seriously - I have seen working boats in 4mm scale on exhibition layouts pulled along by a magnet under the baseboard along both a water filled canal, and a canal made from varnished wood. (I guess there were concealed wheels or rollers under the boat in the latter case.)

Just installed a TTS sound decoder with a cube speaker into my old Hornby Dublo 2-6-4T.........it works ok but I had to increase the sound volume because the metal body mutes the sound compared to a modern plastic shell.......I would have been delighted but the chuff rate is about a quarter of what it should be so not so good and I can't blame the loco gearing being different to the modern 2P loco because the slow chuff is just as bad in that......HB

/media/tinymce_upload/a9aec05560aec3ce21b26d1f0e72d983.jpg

I fitted an 8 pin socket first.........

/media/tinymce_upload/d627cb43e35e98cff5bfb5e2c86df575.jpg

and then plugged in the TTS........the cube speaker is pressed into bluetac in the boiler space below the chimney........ 😆

Have you found a way of making them 'go' yet? 

Seriously - I have seen working boats in 4mm scale on exhibition layouts pulled along by a magnet under the baseboard along both a water filled canal, and a canal made from varnished wood. (I guess there were concealed wheels or rollers under the boat in the latter case.)

One chap I spoke to made his canal out of very thin perspex type material painted on the underside. The boat had wheels but was pulled by a black beetle motor bogie (or similar) with a stron magnet on top. The beetle ran on a 00 track below the "water".

Sadly If I can fit a canal basin in it will probably be only 3' long at max disappearing into a tunnel so not much point in making it move

At the moment a 1973 vintage model is in the workshop. A Hornby Lord Westwood. I put it together from bits in the scrap bin and some toy fair finds.  The body has suffered a broken step in it's previous career so I am breaking the original repair and straightening the step up and filling the step bottom where there is some missing plastic.  The original tender chassis was a write off so a good replacement was found on a scrap tender, the tender chassis is in matt finish so I will remove the red line from the new chassis and respray it in gloss with varnish coat, the wheelsets are out for this to be done sometime over the next few weeks. The chassis on the loco needs a pin on the casting building up a bit with some metal, it stops the drawbar moving too far over.  It's a work in progress. The loco body and tender shades aren't an exact match but it doesn't matter, it's still going to be a nice example.

/media/tinymce_upload/96dd4407c94405604a75bc95672249ee.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/a19ad63edb25b12a8689ee8986b4dfec.jpg

No pictures but I've just finished re-naming and numbering the Gadwall TTS I bought in the Hornby Advent Sale; changed it to Mallard. First time I've done this.

I ordered a set of nameplates plus optional cabside numbers from one of the major suppliers but he only sent the nameplates and apologised that the numbers were no longer available. I tried to make my own but the blue background came through my transfers and turned the "gold" into green! Not very attractive.

Fox Transfers came to my rescue with numbers and LNER letters but now I need to replace my first Gadwall numbers and letters to have a proper match. I'll leave that for later.