Not good enough Hornby

Country joe

As has been said previously on this site there are companies that make etched nameplates, both Fox and Modelmaster have Cairn Gorm listed:

http://fox-transfers.co.uk/60073-cairn-gorm

https://modelmaster.uk/4mm-tops-class-60/6134-60073-cairn-gorm.html?search_query=Cairn+Gorm&results=4

I would also add that etched plates often look better than the original transfer type

Probbaly be best for you to sell the loco you have and replace it with another.

You could lose £50 - £60 selling R3388TTS secondhand just for the sake of a tenner for etched nameplates which improve the look of the loco anyway...........simple economics.........HB

Read the posts from Howbiman, 81F and me. We have all stated that your suggestion is totally wrong and the OP will be better off getting engraved plates.

Transfers of the nameplate is hardly a recognise 'spare' so you cannot reasonably 'have a go' at Hornbyfor not stocking them.

In future, if someone has a better idea do not just ignore it and keep insisting yours is the only worthwhile idea. That is really bad manners

SOT & AC,

I am not familiar with the terms of any Warranty but losing a nameplate may possibly be excluded! Obviously you would expect the nameplate to be reasonably secure and not to simply fall off but the OP didn't explain how it came to be lost. Surely you cannot just send it back without prior arrangement with Hornby? Fanatastic if Hornby agree, otherwise simply go buy some etched nameplates and problem sorted.

Mate the answer is simple if Hornby has  no name plates the coach is under Guarantee so tell Hornby you wanna replacement telling them to stop playing games as they are the retailer so they must put things right under the sales of goods act!! 🫨

No! If you lose something its not Hornby's problem! Take responsibility and buy some replacements yourself! 

Mate the answer is simple if Hornby has  no name plates the coach is under Guarantee so tell Hornby you wanna replacement telling them to stop playing games as they are the retailer so they must put things right under the sales of goods act!! 🫨

No! If you lose something its not Hornby's problem! Take responsibility and buy some replacements yourself! 

I agree if you have lost them thats not Hornbys fault you found they have no spare replacements so its a case you get etched ones from either Fox Transfers or Modelmaster as i wanted a set of Brass name plates for my Triang Britannia Iron Duke and i got them from Fox Transfers they make the loco loco look great and even had the loco number plare to go on the front of Iron Duke! 😎

The reason for this is that the Chinese factories only produce whole units. You order 10000 trains and that is what you get. 10000 complete trains, no spares. It is the same for chinese motorbikes. A dealer will order 1000 generic bikes, stick his name on them and flog them off. No spares , just complete bikes.

If the loco is still under warranty and ONLY if the loco is faulty can Hornby or the seller be responsible for its repair or replacement, dependant on what is wrong. The OP has to first attempt to seek redress from the original SELLER and not Hornby.

If the loco is damaged by the user then the user has no redress with Hornby nor the seller whatsoever.

If the nameplate falls off of its own accord (or is knocked off with a touch that normally would be expected to cause NO damage at all) then the buyer may claim the goods were not of merchantable quality and claim a refund, especially if no replacement or even a reasonable repair can be made.

This is not a grey area. It is clearly defined in law. I have, as other members of this forum, qualifications or knowledge of the Sale of Goods Act and as stated here there is no grey area.

Not knowing entirely how the 'damage' occurred we can only speculate until the cows come home.

If it were myself I would first attempt to seek a replacement from the SELLER and if that is not forthcoming as stock may be zero then redress from Hornby is the next step. If that is not going to happen as, again stock is zero, then I would probably weigh up the options... do I buy what has been mentioned above and cut losses of a few pounds? Do I send it back as not of merchantable quality and get a refund?

Question is: how badly do you want this model?

The OP has a decision to make based upon the above and advice here from our members is generally good but we have to be clear on how the status lies in his legal position and how far the OP wants to go with redress.

Personally if the replacement is not an option and the loco is going to stay with me then buying the parts is the way to go.

Some of you may disagree but we can only surmise as to how the loco lost its parts.

As I see it the OP says he lost the nameplate so it can't be a warranty issue, unless by 'lost' he means it wasn't there - ever. The gripe seems to be Hornby can't supply a replacement. Hardly surprising as I have never seen them listed on service sheets as spares.

Archived