Airfix - What's your Latest Acquisition?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I looked in all the usual places (websites!) for the Airfix one, but to no avail. If you can remember, which shade of blue did you use? It looks very close to the colour/tone that I remember from seeing the 'real' thing in my childhood when it was an exhibit on Southampton Pier. And your excellent model has inspired me to get cracking on it fairly soon. Thanks for sharing.

I looked in all the usual places (websites!) for the Airfix one, but to no avail. If you can remember, which shade of blue did you use? It looks very close to the colour/tone that I remember from seeing the 'real' thing in my childhood when it was an exhibit on Southampton Pier. And your excellent model has inspired me to get cracking on it fairly soon. Thanks for sharing.

The Airfix destructions say H14 "French Blue", and I've never seen a colour photo of an S6-B.

Last time I saw an Airfix S6B was part of a collection of Airfix Spitfire models which included the S6B kit. Don’t think it has been released as a single item kit for some time.
Rod

That's right. The "Spitfire 70th Anniversary set" (08678) had five 1/72 "Spitfires" (S6B, Mk.1a, Mk. Vc, Mk. IXc and Mk. XVIe). The Spitfire Mk1a & S6B appeared in the"Collector's Tin" as well. Not a great or very complicated kit. Sadly, I don't know if anyone would be prepared to manufacture a new tool as the demand would, I suspect, be quite low. Contents Supermarine S.6B 01007 Airfix

• 2 weeks later...
I didn’t know there was two different sets of zoo animals.
Oh the memories the high chaparral figures brings back, it was a rehash of the cowboy figures adding the main characters as special figures.
You certainly have an eclectic taste when you buy kits Ratch!

Cheers Rod, I'd get bored if I stuck to only one subject genre laughing

Saw this starter set of the Jeep in a jumble sale, and so obviously had to buy it!

forum_image_62bc67d5a071a.thumb.png.903b175d904543bde3ecd45b1038e77c.png

The other two items are not of course Airfix - but I'm sure they'll be very useful. My old sprue cutters have just about given up after four year's use - the spring has broken and they're not as sharp as they once were and these American made ones came highly recommended with rave reviews. The razor saw is an up-date on my existing one and seems to be rather more robustly constructed; it also comes with the interesting slotted blade for deeper cuts, and the triangular blade for getting into little spaces - but it takes the old blades as well. They might not improve the quality of my models, but they might make things easier.

I have just bought ( and built ) the new Tempest. Super kit and a simple build, with some nice features.

I liked the decals for the D-Day stripes, but would have liked the upper wing ones to have small gaps where they go over the canon blisters. Hot water and Micro Set and Sol did get them down, but a gap would have been better. It would be easier to paint the bare patches. The yellow leading edge decal would have been better in Top and Bottom stripes, allowing painting along the leading edge. After a little trial and error, I found the fuselage decal was best applied from the bottom, trimming it on the upper joint. Finally, the Sky Band wasn't. Looking too blue. Super kit let down by the usually superb Cartograph decals. Could be an easy fix.

One recent find at a show, was a the Airfix Fokker F-27 Friendship for only £10. Three super decal choices, though I would like to do it in the original Aer Lingus scheme.

I have only bought 12 Airfix kits this year. Quite a low count for me. I'm waiting for the 1/48th Anson and 1/24th Spitfire IX, plus a few re-releases.

Other purchases have been limited to 2 KP Kits, plus some old classics from the cardboard boxes under the show tables.

At this rate, I'll be building more than I've bought.

I've actually had this for a while (since last year, in fact), but I've only just unwrapped it so hence posting as a "latest acquisition"...

forum_image_62c6d53a9e381.png.77c9db88f9056a542589ff2b35ba1862.png

I've made a start on it - very intricate but well-engineered cockpit, but the crew members OOB are standard BoB RAF figures... so I've also invested in a couple of packs of the PJ Productions Japanese WW2 pilots, largely because I'm going to finish it in IJN colours rather than the white painted version.

forum_image_62c6d53d3b925.png.c16c24dec5db5f6b40482bc675e5de02.png

forum_image_62c6d53edb95a.png.3fd1f200714819e888c125194fdad369.png

• 3 weeks later...

My latest aquisition from a well know auction site, to fill another gap in my WWII Bomber Command collection. Still waiting for a decent Fairey battle and any Avro Manchester

forum_image_62de68de7b5ff.thumb.png.af30a3df038e23777444a9b6f92914bb.png

My built 1/72 Bomber Command collection consists of the following at the moment;

Fairey Battle BI, Airfix (very) old tool

Bristol Blenheim IV, Airfix new tool

North American Mitchell II, Airfix new tool

HP Hampden B.I, Airfix old tool

Armstrong Whitworth Whitley B.V, Airfix new tool

Vickers Wellington B.1, Trumpeter newish tool

Vickers Wellington B.X, Matchbox old tool

Short Stirling B.I, Airfix old tool

HP Halifax B.I, Matchbox old tool

Avro Lancaster B.I (late), Revell newest tool

Avro Lancaster B.II, Airfix new tool

Avro Lancaster B.III (Special), Dambusters, Airfix old tool

Boeing Fortress B.III, Airfix new tool

DH Mosquito B.IV, Hasegawa

DH Mosquito B.XVI, Airfix new tool

Other aircraft I would like to fill some remaining gaps are a Douglas Boston, new tool Battle, Avro Manchester, Halifax B.III, and Liberator (100 Group), some of which are available some not.

I've actually had this for a while (since last year, in fact), but I've only just unwrapped it so hence posting as a "latest acquisition"...
forum_image_62c6d53a9e381.png.0d14613507f170b74a6c1bc64072a59b.png
I've made a start on it - very intricate but well-engineered cockpit, but the crew members OOB are standard BoB RAF figures... so I've also invested in a couple of packs of the PJ Productions Japanese WW2 pilots, largely because I'm going to finish it in IJN colours rather than the white painted version.
forum_image_62c6d53d3b925.png.1997ec0f94d780c6823925a7fa058fc0.png
forum_image_62c6d53edb95a.png.a7b4f4fd573a84a8b10f4179b8f2c49d.png

I have to say they look really great - assume combination of airbrush and hand painting