Sets

Dav2

With 00, the sets were of railroad standard. So most people if looking for advice were advised not to buy the sets as they weren’t value for money and were better off buying what they needed separate.

For TT, is buying a set the best way to start off?

are the loco’s the same standard in the sets as they are sold seperate?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As it is all new tooling I doubt there will be different ranges. The A4 I handled in the bare metal was to my eyes anyhow a good standard, but then I wasn’t looking at finesse of lamp irons, whistles and pipes, etc.

I had a brief look at a layout board and again the laid track looked good, but I saw no evidence of point motors.

I am surprised they haven’t offered an iTrainset using the HM6000 controller as it would be ideal for these locos.

I've bought the Easterner set, just to see what its all like. With the 15% club discount, thats £165, so not bad for an A4 and 3 coaches.

Suspect a lot of people will be dipping their toe, and getting a set seems the obvious way to do that, so its a pity there arnt a few more options available.

Plummed for a set and some extra track pieces. Seems the best value for money.

time to sell off my 00 stuff. Never really managed to get a permanent setup due to size constraints. The TT seems perfect for me and has dragged me back in.

In the TT:120 club Members Area, there is a download link to development information. It looks to me as though the Pullmans supplied with the trainset are not the same as those supplied separately. But Garry Hall on the TT Model Train Fans Facebook group alleges the pictures show photoshopped OO gauge items, in which case the illustrations are nothing to go by.

I have some old Triang ‘TT’ coaches and a loco, which used the scale of 1:101.6 and ceased production in 1964. These are not bad, but they lack interior detail and have plastic wheels. Hornby's TT:120 coaches, although slightly smaller, must be an improvement on these.

If you have never seen TT gauge layout exhibited, think carefully before ordering a set. Although it is not as small as N gauge, it is pretty small.

This is the download link, which is a bit hard to find:

https://uk.hornby.com/community/hornbytt120-club/members-area/blog-and-news/the-onward-journey

Hi

I spoke with Hornby tech yesterday as I had a few questions I wanted answered before I made an order and I was told that the sets include the same Locomotives and coaches that are sold separately using the same toolings, I asked if the pullmans had lights as I intended to purchase other coaches from the range and the answer to that was no but the coaches paint and finish are the same as the other pullmans with lights and using the same tooling, I opted for the Eastener train set plus ordered the flying scotsman plus 3 lite Pullmans plus other locomotives and coaches. I was also told that they do not intend to do railroad versions.Hope this helps

Ah this is all turning into a minefield.

might cancel all my orders.
thanks for letting us know. I really wanted lights in the pullmans.

Might just go buy some stuff seperate.

Yep, it's a real sh*tstorm, I've cancelled all of my orders until the issues of discount, postage, item descriptions, price etc have been solved. Except for the items I fear will sell out to presale no matter what and then end up on Ebay.

thanks for letting us know. I really wanted lights in the pullmans.

I'm the same and wanted a rake of lite coaches, I see why they left the lights out of the coaches but part from that I was told the coaches are the same, if you think about the price of the sets being very reasonable in price when you consider the loco is valued at £145.95 the then say around 40 for each coach because no lights still makes it great value and a saving but I opted for the Eastener set plus I order the flying scotsman plus 3 pullmans with lights and will collect more as they are released. The Eastener retail price before discount is great value £32.95 I think for each coach plus the Locomotive at £145.95 track and controller then makes a superb deal, I think my pre order price with club discount is is around £168.00, can't go wrong.

I have ordered some wagons this morning and the discount is now showing on the emails sent so I think Hornby have fixed the glitch.

I've hesitated putting an order in for a Christmas set. Mainly due to lack of certainty re: tender drive and traction tyres (I really don't want either after experiences in 00!).

The sets look to be superb value and the Pullmans absolutely excellent models but I'd really prefer an BR A3 with a GNR tender, no deflectors and Maroon Mk1s as a first set. If I bought the A1 set and Pullmans I'd have to look around to sell the coaches r do a swap for Mk1s. I love the look of the A4 but it's not really in the area I'd want to model. Ironically, lack of coach lights really wouldn't bother me at all.

It's always going to be hard to please everyone re: train sets.

A better bet might have been to include a plain BR green 08 and a selection of freight wagons as a useful starter set.

Will have a rethink when there's more solid confirmation as to what's going to be in the box loco-transmission wise. Ambiguity about what's going to be supplied isn't a good idea when a product is being launched. What you're getting should be crystal clear from the get-go.

I will just be getting started in TT, and will probably supplement some of what I do with what my father had in TT (he had some US TT rolling stock and locomotives from the 1950's or so)

For me, the set is going to be the starting point, in that I'll get the loco, coaches, track and all to start my layout.

I'm glad Hornby went and made a whole range, kind of the Frank Hornby tradition of being able to be kitted out with a whole system and not just a set and a few extra bits of rolling stock.

I think you will find that Triang TT3 lasted from 1957 to 1968, which is a bit longer than a couple of years!

My money would be on TT:120 lasting a lot longer.....but your guess is as good as anybody's.

Hopefully, spares will be available shortly after the launch of phases 1 and 2, but might be worth giving Hornby a ring to confirm this.

Never had a problem with spares ( 00 ) from them but had to wait about two months for a new class 31 loco because of the dreaded metal chassis rot that inflicted that particular model.