2023 Range Launch Announcement

Likely old news for correspondents here, but I cannot contain my excitement! Hornby have sent us the 2023 Range Announcement.

÷÷÷

We are pleased to announce that our 2023 range launch is just around the corner!

Mark your calendars for Tuesday, January 10th at 7:00am (GMT) and be sure to visit the Hornby website to see our brand new releases and guarantee your pre-orders.

In the meantime, we would like to thank you for your continued support and we look forward to celebrating 2023 with you all.

÷÷÷÷

A hope for something for everyone. Good luck and I hope your top wish is in there!

Bee

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they add a few new variants of locos/coaches already scheduled for release this year, maybe we’ll actually get some of the 2023 range in 2023.

I’m interested to see if we’ll see any more steam generator locos announced, which almost certainly won’t be released this year.

A part of me is hoping there isn’t too much I’m interested in. I have too many pre-orders as it is. face_with_rolling_eyes

& I am still waiting for 2 Locos with Steam Generator - R3983SS

LNER, P2 Class, 2-8-2, 2007 'Prince of Wales' With Steam Generator - Era 11 & R30225SS

BR, Stanier 5MT 'Black 5', 4-6-0, 44726 With Steam Generator - Era 5 🤔🚂

It seems to me the only advantage of logging in and pre ordering the items is to get them at a fixed price. Given that Hornby are not shifting models like they did for a while, there seems to be spare items around. I pre ordered the Hornby Dublo City of Lichfield and I notice they are still ones available, previously they would have sold out in the first week of release. There again perhaps my duff one was not the only one. The ones with steam are probably the ones that might sell out, but we won't see the original ones for another year. Given how their competitors are adding features quickly, I wouldn't be surprised if one of their competitors gets there first anyway, probably cheaper and better. This year we will get Flying Scotsman, they have to release this one on time, although again most modellers already have more than one already. Other than that they have models to catch up with and then there is TT.

Indeed, pre-ordering locks in the price, but also ensures you get the item. If it's something you must have for your layout / collection, you cannot rely on the retailers as we have seen plenty of changed allocations from the manufacturer which could cause disappointment. Additionally, if as seems to be the case, a brand new, freshly tooled model takes 3 years from announcement to delivery, there will probably be some price increases which you will avoid by pre-ordering. I personally prefer to support my local model shop, but talking with the owner, he cannot fault me on "brand new" products for the reasons above. But

I only do this for the very latest must have models, such as the Black 5 with steam generator. The original price was so low compared to those that were just DCC Ready, even the increased price now listed still seems reasonable for what it (hopefully) delivers.

Hi Simmo

You have just described my exact situation. I'm only interested in a small group of models. Within that group, all are in the "must have" category. I'm not about to be left out.

The Smoke Generator models have a degree of interest for me, but I am very unlikely now to submit to temptation. I have more discipline than that. Maybe when it comes to my area of interest I will purchase a smoke generator. Ha! Who am I kidding? You would be well advised to not stand betwixt me and that model! 🏃

I could save a bit of money by ordering from a retailer. The only local hobby shop that carries Hornby product isn't local to me, at all*. I'm in the USA, so of consequence, almost any OO order, Hornby product or otherwise, will be via the internet.

The small savings I might incur are negligible when compared to the certainty of acquiring those must have items. So you will find me scrambling about Hornby's web pages, securing the models of interest, on launch day.

Bee

*In the most shocking of developments, a model train store just opened a few weeks ago, within walking distance of my home. Call me flabbergasted. Naturally, this being the USA, he carries 3 rail O scale Lionel Trains. Not much Liverpool and Manchester Railway in that kit.

@96RAF

Indeed I do. If the US presence offered all the models available in the UK, I wouldn't bother with the UK web pages. It would likely offer me an incredible savings in shipping as well

Try looking for Lion (R30232) on the Hornby US pages. Not there, not found on searches, either by looking at the pages OR by computer search. I note it is still available on the UK pages.

Try getting any TT:120 on the US pages. According to Hornby US, it doesn't exist.

I do appreciate you mentioning this, as it could have escaped my notice. I make no comment on this business decision by Hornby. They can sell their products as they see fit, in the way they see fit.

Bee

Try looking for Lion (R30232) on the Hornby US pages. Not there, not found on searches, either by looking at the pages OR by computer search. I note it is still available on the UK pages.
Try getting any TT:120 on the US pages. According to Hornby US, it doesn't exist.

That said, you very often get similarly negative results searching for items on the UK site, and often for items that are actually in stock.

Hi Brewman

I agree, if we just use the 🔎 search function, then the results are sometimes erratic. This is a database issue, how it is manipulated and maintained. The closeness of integration of that database with these web pages.

Yet an exhaustive search is feasible on the Hornby US site. The number of models offered is far and away less than the numbers offered in the UK. A business decision, to be sure. Since the US number is so small, we can sequentially examine each in turn. No Lion. No TT:120

I'd be thrilled with a better search function on the UK site. For me, it is quite simple. I need only select Era 1. Yet I do understand for others, with broader interests, will want to cast a net in other ways.

Bee

I notice one or 2 people talk about locking in the price by preordering. This certainly was not the case last time I pre-ordered a Peckett 0-4-0 in good faith and it was 3 years before it was released by Hornby. The dealer very apologetically had to charge me the price increases that had occurred as Hornby had charged him the full price and not the original price advertised 3 years before. Unless Hornby have changed this policy I will never preorder again.

Hornby lock in the price at the time of ordering when that order is direct from their own website.

Retailers do not as they have to pay Hornby the wholesale price of the loco at the time of delivery. They have no choice other than to pass that inevitably higher price on to the customer. Remember also that there is no guarantee that retailers will get supplies from Hornby under their tiering system.

Hornby lock in the price at the time of ordering when that order is direct from their own website.

There are additional benefits when ordering direct from Hornby beyond simply locking the price.

Before I realized that I could order direct from Hornby, I was ordering from XYZ. XYZ offered international sales and has a reasonable web presence. XYZ took full payment, at the time of order, for several separate orders. When you examine my interests [Lion] and compare that to the Thunderbolt, you will immediately see one kerfuffle. This forced XYZ to endure a terrible event. I was worried for them. I have another order there, fully paid for, yet now outstanding for 7 months. Hornby have not shipped the item to XYZ yet, but XYZ has my money. Benefit when ordering from Hornby: no payment upfront. Not even a deposit.

An additional benefit is the Hornby Rewards program. This provides a 10% discount over list price over time. A one time purchaser will not see this, but frequent flyers will. Benefit when ordering from Hornby: discount for repeat customers.

When combined with Hornby's policy of honoring the price at the point of pre-order, there is a clear advantage given to Hornby. A Hornby annual report stated that there is an aim to increase the web based store front. These benefits will help drive those sales.

Bee

Agree with all those benefits Bee but, for me in the past, the £50 ROW postage has always meant it was cheaper to go with other suppliers with lower prices up front and postage at/near cost.

Will be interesting to compare now with current rewards etc and TT:120 membership.

But would be great if Hornby were better on postage.

Actually I ordered an item direct from Hornby last week which included the 50 pound postage. But if I spent 80 pounds more, I would get FREE postage. So I went through my wish list, compared it to what was on offer (in stock) on the sale page and for the extra 30 quid (actual) I got 80 quids worth of stuff and saved a bit on their discount price, compared to local Aussie retailers. Win - Win.

Hi Fish Man 👋

I'm in the USA, so ROW for me is £30. I sat straight up when I saw the £50 they are charging you. Yikes!

Yet any discussion of ROW should be accompanied by the VAT discount. I will take a 20% discount on the price, over £4 in UK P&P.

I'd like to also state that Hornby is charging very competitive ROW rates when compared to a freight forwarder. I went so far as to set up a FF account. My per package cost was going to be £28, compared to Hornby's £30. When you consider that item would not be VAT-free (Hornby ships to a FF in the UK, VAT applies), the FF account sits idle.

You do bring up an excellent point. I completely forgot about the various clubs providing yet another discount. These various discounts do add up. In my view, Hornby offers a reasonably competitive price for the service.

I'm satisfied with Hornby.

Bee