An idea, bring it back to Margate.

I've been thinking recently about UK production at Margate and how it could start. How about an enthusiast and volunteer run assembly operation at Margate. A simple 0-4-0 could be assembled from parts by unpaid volunteers/enthusiasts/former staff, it could be part of the Wonderworks museum experience, a small tampo print machine could be used and loco bodies decorated with the name of your choice, three or four body colours could be used, it could be exclusive to visitors or could be a main catalouge special. Visitors could see their loco being built as well so it would add to the wonderworks experience.

Opinions please?

It's a very nice idea, SoT. Whether it would be economically viable with the accountants at Hornby Towers is another matter. But the idea of being able to actually see a production in process is very appealing.

Good point Brew Man. I think using volunteer/enthusiast labour would make it viable as there would be little in the way of labour costs other than the usual H&S and liability insurance, Chinese imported parts would be used, the only manufacturing bit would be tampo printing. Some of the set up could even be done by crowd funding to further cut some of the start up costs.

People visiting the Wonderworks would queue to see their loco assembled and decorated. The whole process unfolding before their eyes including a small QC section before the model is boxed and passed to the shop. It's just an idea? Assembled in Margate.

Not dissimilar idea to how many ‘living museums’ work with various activities. Printing up a name on the assembled loco is a great idea. I’d go a bit further with visitor participation, they make their own loco, with guidance.

Could there be any 'tax incentive' to further encourage consideration to justify investment in UK, rather than simply buying in?

Longer term, this could be the clincher.

It all boils down to cost, sale price / viability.

I would love them to be produced in UK, but at what price - with the choice available nowadays, to have any effect on this could be great, or catastrophic.

A simple rehash of Polly / Nellie, updated could be nice.

Al.

By keeping costs as low as possible using a dedicated team of unpaid volunteers I think it has a chance. The model can be a simple 0-4-0, a new Nellie body mould as per the Tri-ang model would be good, married with the Hornby basic 0-4-0 chassis, or the D class tank loco, keeping the mechanicals to chassis moulds that still exist. Tools can be hand tools for assembly, keeping costs down, the only expensive bit of kit being a computer controlled tampo printing unit to put people's names on the loco's. Parts and loco bodies from the China factories. A decent laser printer would be needed to the print special imstruction sheets, perhaps they could be signed by the volunteers? Boxes could be standard boxes, but with special end labels. All cost effective. It could also be a sales improver and bring in more revenue as people would then pick the finished model up from the shop and might be tempted to buy more items.

Feel free to add and kick the idea about folks.

2 things,

1/ love that globe model Rob!

2/ could a basic plastic injection moulding set up be installed? It’s pretty basic tech and small ones are floating about, use the original tooling dies and let people see how the loco body is made? Even a button behind the screened off area so visitor can activate making their loco body? I know it’s a bit more than original idea but getting people involved brings stuff like this alive.

Unions in UK are only interested in organisations where they can extract £££s and hold country to ransom to justify their existence.

In terms of employment, there are some regulations that roughly cover this but as no paid role exists it’s not really applicable. Unpaid work is a problem as we have min wage legislation and other regulatory considerations and Hornby isn’t a registered charity (yet 🤣) There are ways to engage people on unpaid work though, there are always ways to get things done.

Good ideas but a non starter in reality.

Self build dependant upon user physical/mental ability, so left with fitting body to chassis with press/jig mechanism.

Custom graphics on loco may be possible, but how much for Tampoprint HYBRID 90-2?

Yes a level of self build is dependent on ability but it’s something that happens all over everyday, with guidance a few simple tasks are not a deal breaker and if it’s completely impossible I am sure friends/family would do it, this is an actual thing 😁

Stick a big pile of Lego bricks on a table, some chairs and open the doors, watch what happens.

Assembling a basic 0 4 0 tank loco with only moulded detailing is well within grasp of many people. Helper guides through process and takes over where needed.

Amazingly there were similar processes in place during Flying Scotsman at Christmas in Shildon, not a loco build but stamping parts out, printing names, assembling things.

Loco name could be a vinyl, doesn’t have to be anything techy

Unions in UK are only interested in organisations where they can extract £££s and hold country to ransom to justify their existence.

I thought politics wasn't allowed?

I won't, other than to say that isn't a universally held opinion.

But on the geo-political state at the moment, I think we will see a lot more production move back to being regionally produced. Most experts think that and it is essential for national security.

UK outline modelling (railways, military models etc.) that only has a very small export market would be a reasonable thing to bring back. It would need a degree of protectionism though.

Agreed @barry people hold a variety of views on Unions & they are best kept for discussions between friends.

The valid point that was being made is that businesses are usually able to find ways around what they consider to be ‘difficulties’ (which others might consider to be ‘protections’.) Therefore volunteers or voluntary work are certainly possibilities.

Although in today’s litigious world I’m not sure how attractive such a minefield would be to either a company or those willing to freely offer their time, knowledge & skill.

Peachy wrote:
Also Hornby, well maybe Airfix have had some experience of a similar interaction at air shows having kids build kits in the Hornby tent with helper getting involved where needed

I remember many years ago we took my young son and his friend into a military modelling show we discovered while passing the venue. While I went round the show admiring the models and buying scenic materials etc., the youngsters spent a long time making and painting Airfix models. They were still there at the end of the show when everyone was packing up, and came away with loads of free kits, glue and paints :)