New format on forum?

These changes are being made in the background and sent live. The live version doesn't always translate the same as the test version. As such there may be some disruption whilst these updates are incorporated. Please bear with it for today. Posting about every little glitch is not productive as we are monitoring the site very closely and reporting back as necessary.

I am of the view if you are going to change something only do it if you can make it better. On the new setup I can't find the references to the individual forums. When they changed it last time I thought it was a bit of downgrade. Perhaps I am in the minority.

• Like 2

Lets give @96RAF and the other mods a chance. For myself the changes to the forum a few months back into the new format were very welcome. They are obviously able to tweak things as they go along, which is great. Often its more a case of us simply getting used to the change more than us finding out it's any worse. 

• Like 5

Just a quick reminder, there is a website/forum feedback section for these things and a thread was posted there yesterday. Don’t forget to look in other areas of the forum to find info or discuss specific things 😁

Posted (edited)

It's thrown me that the "Unread Posts" link seems to have vanished (I used that all the time)?   Let's give things a chance for the updates to be completed. ....
[edit] Ah it's there at the top once you go into a Most Recent Post.  Needs to be on the landing page once you select a brand I think.

Edited by ntpntpntp

26 minutes ago, ntpntpntp said:

It's thrown me that the "Unread Posts" link seems to have vanished (I used that all the time)?   Let's give things a chance for the updates to be completed. ....
[edit] Ah it's there at the top once you go into a Most Recent Post.  Needs to be on the landing page once you select a brand I think.

Can't see your problem. There is dual access on the all brands page and unread access on the Hornby forum index page.

IMG_1981.jpeg

IMG_1982.jpeg

This is what I landed on after initially getting a 404 error this morning and then redirected to the 3 brands and clicking into the Hornby section.     I hadn't twigged this was a level above the forum which I'd bookmarked in the past.  Sorted now.
hornbycommunitypage.thumb.jpg.525f1c54ec2fecfa53e3732eac700d26.jpg

14 hours ago, 96RAF said:

One man's meat is another man's poison - as they used to say about disparate opinions.

Today’s version of the forum seems to be poisoned meat. 😂

8 hours ago, John-L said:

Today’s version of the forum seems to be poisoned meat. 😂

If you wish to be critical then please explain exactly what irks you - with screen grabs if applicable - then your comments can be investigated and the problem - if there is one - corrected. General moans help no one and achieve nothing.

I have to say that the new (clearer) font, the separation of the three fora and the revised layout of each forum home page to show recent and trending posts are all improvements. Probably works a bit better on desktop/tablet than on mobile but only because the larger screens allow everything to be shown together. Needing fewer clicks to navigate is definitely a good thing though.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

On the last incarnation when I clicked on Forums it automatically went to TT 120, now it always goes to many and I have to scroll down.

Not too much of an issue having to do an extra click (not one less as stated elsewhere) but would be better not having to do it as previously.

Edited by Silver Fox 17

25 minutes ago, Silver Fox 17 said:

On the last incarnation when I clicked on Forums it automatically went to TT 120, now it always goes to many and I have to scroll down.

Not too much of an issue having to do an extra click (not one less as stated elsewhere) but would be better not having to do it as previously.

You can customise what you see by using the Activity tab and setting it up in there.

IMG_1991.jpeg

I find the font a little small, and it is not Gill Sans — though it could be Gill Sans Nova. In true Gill Sans, the "1” and "I" would be identical, but here they're not.

I wonder why the changes are being made. Is this the doing of somebody at Hornby, or is it resulting from a change in the underlying software (Invision)?

9 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

I find the font a little small, and it is not Gill Sans — though it could be Gill Sans Nova. In true Gill Sans, the "1” and "I" would be identical, but here they're not.

I wonder why the changes are being made. Is this the doing of somebody at Hornby, or is it resulting from a change in the underlying software (Invision)?

It is likely a cascading style sheet thing invoked when we swapped from the tick box list flow format to the cleaner table format.