State of Outstanding Pre-orders for TT:120

2 minutes ago, moawkwrd said:

Sorry but I have to fundamentally disagree. There are plenty of excellent 6 pin DCC decoders available at a range of price points,

Hi Mo - I understand that point of view entirely. And if I had traditional DCC then it wouldn't bother me to stick in an alternative 6pin chip. But Hornby are selling the HM7k platform as a system without needing the expense of a traditional DCC setup. Having their own brand-new locos unable to access the bluetooth system undermines that.

Would Hornby ever allow other manufacturers to license the HM7k tech I wonder? Not yet I suppose, but who knows what a few years may bring. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, GMD said:

Hi Mo - I understand that point of view entirely. And if I had traditional DCC then it wouldn't bother me to stick in an alternative 6pin chip. But Hornby are selling the HM7k platform as a system without needing the expense of a traditional DCC setup. Having their own brand-new locos unable to access the bluetooth system undermines that.

Would Hornby ever allow other manufacturers to license the HM7k tech I wonder? Not yet I suppose, but who knows what a few years may bring. 

I understand that, but even from the perspective of a beginner HM7000 isn't for everyone. I tried it (as a beginner) and quickly binned it. Sound is a gimmick to me and I prefer to put music/watch videos in the background whilst I run trains anyway. The ability to change CVs on the app was useful for sure but it isn't ground breaking... and how often do you need to change CVs after the initial set up? I recently picked up a Piko DCC system (rebadged Ulhenbrock) split from a set and I'm much happier with it and find it easier to use than the app. It's also got all the expansion potential I'd ever need with Loconet support. It didn't even cost me much more than Hornby are selling the 4 amp PSU HM7020 bundle for so hardly an expense. Cheaper non-sound decoders too.

Acting like Hornby is the only player/option and not releasing locos because you can't supply the chips that fit yet would only reinforce all the negativity of Hornby in the community IMHO. There's enough people clobbering Hornby already for not releasing a small steam engine in TT - delaying that when they don't even have DCC fitted SKUs planned (that we know of) would be totally stupid.

Edited by moawkwrd
  • Like 2

I'm with you @moawkwrd  on this.  HM7000 is quite clever and yes I do have my WW sound fitted and an android tablet to play with it and get to know HM7000, but I still prefer my NCE traditional DCC system on the occasions I run DCC instead of plain DC.  I'm just not a fan of touch screen control (I've tried Z21 DCC too).   Sound in small scales doesn't impress me at all and gets turned off in the few locos I have which are sound fitted.  I have sound in some of my garden locos but that usually gets turned off after a short while. 

Let's just have the locos released when they are built and not worry about waiting for a matching HM7000 implementation. 

• Like 3

As of today the website is showing the following changes (Red = Pushed Back, Green = Brought Forward). As always things can and do change so this should only ever be taken as a rough estimate.

Train Sets

• Intercity 125  DC & DCC – Late October 2024  Mid November 2024

Locomotives

• Princess Coronation Class DCC Era 4 – Late  August 2024
  • Princess Coronation Class DCC Era 5 – Mid August 2024
  • Class 66 All Liveries DC & DCC Era11 – Late October 2024 Early October 2024
  • J50 Class 0-6-0T Era 3, 4 & 5 – Late November 2024
  • BR Class 08 0-6-0 Era 5 – Late November 2024
  • Class 50 GBRf DC Era 11 – Late May 2025

Wagons & Coaches

• 12T Tank Wagons (BP & Benzol) – Mid September 2024
  • TOUAX Container Wagon 45’ All Liveries – Late October 2024 Mid September 2024
  • Pullman 1st Class – Late November 2024 Late December 2024
  • BR Mk2E Coaches era 7&8 – Late May 2025
  • 21T Mineral Wagons – Late May 2025

Track Side

• Level Crossing – Late September 2024 Early January 2025
  • Signals – Late October 2024
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I am in agreement with @moawkwrd; HM 7000 is a great control system but it would be a mistake to hold models back as the models can be controlled perfectly well with DC or other DCC products and I am confident there will be DCC, stay alive and sound available on J50, just not via HM DCC 😁

2 hours ago, ntpntpntp said:

Let's just have the locos released when they are built and not worry about waiting for a matching HM7000 implementation. 

Totally agree.

I appreciate many like and use DCC/Bluetooth etc but not everyone does so really the locos should appear once a DC version is done, then, sort out the rest.

• Like 3

I emailed Hornby CS last week about the BR Early J50 being Unavailable as a I have a Pre-order on it.  CS messaged me back on 1st Aug to explain that it was "Unavailable" to Pre-order as it is sold out.  They also confirmed that it was still due to be in stock in November 2024.

On the issue of a BT 6 pin decoder.  I can't remember who it was from Hornby who said that they are reliant upon development time with a major chip producer.  And with big world players like Apple, Samsung etc in the game, Hornby are not a priority for these chip manufacturers, and hence the wait.

I really don’t understand Hornby’s preorder ‘stock’ levels - with almost every item of TT:120 upon delivery it bounces in & out of stock several times (as stock is sold & extra is allocated to ‘website’ warehouse.)

I can’t imagine that either of the unavailable J50 or BP Tank wagon upon delivery will all be despatched with nothing available for purchase - in which case preventing preorders seems completely illogical.  However I will dutifully eat humble pie if that actually occurs!

There's a lot more of the LNER livery and late BR livery J50s on pre-order than the early BR livery variant which is not surprising considering the early livery variant has been unavailable for some time. In fact I was able to place 200 of the late livery J50s into my basket without any issues so I assume that Hornby would have happily sent me that many if I had finalized the transaction although I have no intention of testing that assumption.

It does seem strange that they have explicitly restricted the early BR J50 pre orders. The only thing that I believe is special about that variant is the larger coal bunker!

On 05/08/2024 at 14:30, gc4946 said:

Today I placed a preorder for BR late crest J50, it'll be my last preorder until further new announcements in several months time

I'm same for 2024, only have the signals and BR Early J50 on order for this year. Will see if the BP 12T tanker can be ordered once released.

Once they announce the pre-orders for Class 37 & 31 will get them in BR Blue livery.  

Thanks again for this Tim - I'm intending to put together a short video on TT120 product pipelines till the ned of this year, so this is very helpful indeed!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GMD said:

Thanks again for this Tim - I'm intending to put together a short video on TT120 product pipelines till the ned of this year, so this is very helpful indeed!

I've DM you the latest RAW data from this morning 🙂 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

TT3012TXSM BR(Late), Princess Coronation, 4-6-2, 46234, 'Duchess of Abercorn' Digital - Era 5 has now moved from Pre-order Expected Summer 2024 to Pre-order only indicating an imminent release. 

Soon be another one off the list 🙂 

• Like 1

The next few months should see a good few items being released. So far no dates have changed since last summary post.

August

• Era 5 Duchess Abercorn DCC
  • Era 4 Duchess Montrose DCC

September

• TOUAX Container Wagons 
  • 12T Wagons 

October

• Class 66 DC & DCC all Liveries
  • Signals

November 

• HST Trainsets DC & DCC
  • Class J50 era 3, 4 & 5
  • Class 08 era 5

December

• Pullman Coaches

• Like 3

Duchess of Abercorn DCC is now available, another one off the list.

August

• Era 5 Duchess Abercorn DCC  RELEASED! 🙂 
  • Era 4 Duchess Montrose DCC

September

• TOUAX Container Wagons 
  • 12T Wagons 

October

• Class 66 DC & DCC all Liveries
  • Signals

November 

• HST Trainsets DC & DCC
  • Class J50 era 3, 4 & 5
  • Class 08 era 5

December

• Pullman Coaches

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, david_watts1 said:
  • Era 5 Duchess Abercorn DCC  RELEASED! 🙂 

Really? Site still says it's for preorder and I haven't had a payment notice yet.

ah, just re-checked and you're right. So either they've changed it back or having just got up after a 12hr night shift I looked at the DC version by mistake. Sorry!