TT3025M LNER, J50 Class, 0-6-0T, 2793

Landyman130

I am thinking of ordering a TT3025M LNER, J50 Class, 0-6-0T, 2793 - Era 3, which is DCC-ready with a 6-pin socket.

My layout is HM7000 controling two sound fitted (as delivered) locos.  But I guess that I need a 6-pin decoder to be able to run the J50.

But Hornby do not list any, so I guess that I should NOT place an order. Am I correct?

Do you use Bluetooth or the DCC protocol to control the locomotives?

In the first case, you have the option of buying or making an NEM652 to NEM651 adapter so that you can connect an HM7000 8-pin decoder. The two wires for the lighting are then simply not used.

In the second case with the DCC protocol, you only need to buy a suitable decoder from Lenz, Uhlenbrock, ESU etc.

In other words, what's wrong with a locomotive with a 6-pin connector?

Just buy it if you really want it. There is always a workaround.

The only thing that matters would be, is there enough space for a decoder?

Edited by Ilmson

I’ve a J50 and a green 08 on order which will have the hornby 8 pin sound decoders fitted along with the new smaller power banks and probsbly some lights. There are still two 6 pin decoders on pre order but ultimately they’ll be redundant. In my model railway world the locomotives take priority and as @Ilmson says above, there’s always a work around. My work around is called This way works. (See his YT posts). 

5 hours ago, Landyman130 said:

I am thinking of ordering a TT3025M LNER, J50 Class, 0-6-0T, 2793 - Era 3, which is DCC-ready with a 6-pin socket.

My layout is HM7000 controling two sound fitted (as delivered) locos.  But I guess that I need a 6-pin decoder to be able to run the J50.

But Hornby do not list any, so I guess that I should NOT place an order. Am I correct?

If youre controlling your layout through an iPad etc then you will need an HM7000 decoder to fit in it. There is no real release date for the 6pin version as yet. Some have fitted the 8 pin version but this requires modification to the model. 

If you were using a DCC controller then a non hm7000 decoder can be used. 

I’m running my layout via an IPad and the HM7000 app. I don’t have a class 08 nor have I ordered a J50 since id want them to be compatible with the system I’m using. I’m not one for modifications and work arounds so I am waiting until the Hornby 6 pin decoder is finally available 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ukpetey said:

I’m running my layout via an IPad and the HM7000 app. I don’t have a class 08 nor have I ordered a J50 since id want them to be compatible with the system I’m using. I’m not one for modifications and work arounds so I am waiting until the Hornby 6 pin decoder is finally available 

I'm sure you're not the only one in this position.  If Hornby don't sort this quickly, it will result in lost sales of TT locos.

Unfortunately you are tied into two products (TT120 locos and HM7000) which are currently exclusive to Hornby so you'll just have to wait (or spend more money on a DCC system).  Originally I wasn't going to buy into HM7000 but was seduced by the relatively cheap price for DCC sound.  I'm not sure whether this was a good idea or not but I do have a Lenz DCC system I can use for the next x years...

• Like 2

I have the J50 and a Class 08 on Pre-order and have been pondering the same situation.  I have 2 other sound  fitted locos and have come to the conclusion that running a third and forth loco with sound might create an indecipherable cacophony.   Hence I'll just be getting standard 6 pin decoders.  My plan is to buy the Bluetooth dongle to plug into my Elite controller which will allow me to control these locos with either the Elite or via HM7000.

I'm also looking at 3rd party 6 pin decoders which will accept a mini power bank which might be useful with short wheelbase locos.  Peachy looked at some in a recent YT video.

Edited by Mac202
  • Like 2

As I am DC only the issue here does not really concern me but what I was thinking is the cost of the loco. 

You could pre order and then get it at the current price but if you wait until the DCC bits are available the loco price will have gone up at least once but possibly more later and no idea how much it will be later.

• Like 1

Also, regarding HM7000, if other manufacturers start making TT120 locos then, assuming that another manufacturer doesn't make something compatible with HM7000, including the sound files for a class xyz, then you can't expect Hornby to produce sound files for a competitor.

Of course, you're fine if you don't want sound.  I tend to think that sound is all or nothing but, having been to a few exhibitions in my time, I do take the point about the cacophony,

2 hours ago, Mac202 said:

running a third and forth loco with sound might create an indecipherable cacophony.

Yes it will (in my opinion).   I'm not a fan of sound in small scales anyway, it's just too thin and people seem to really struggle to match the steam loco chuff rate to wheel revolution - usually far too few chuffs.  I have a few sound fitted locos in N - not by choice but because they were bargains at the same price as non-sound.  The sounds get turned off.   My TT:120 WW has a sound decoder fitted to see what it's like, but frankly that'll most likely get turned off too.

2 hours ago, SMR248 said:

having been to a few exhibitions in my time, I do take the point about the cacophony [of sound],

Yes I agree.  Exhibition layouts of diesel loco depots where everything is idling all day is irritating especially if you're exhibiting your own layout next to one! 

I do have few sound fitted locos in G scale, much better "presence" to the sound but even then I'd still turn it off after a few minutes and just enjoy the "clickety-clack" 🙂 

Edited by ntpntpntp

I have a J50 on order and use the 08 shunter but my 3rd inner loop is run via HM6000 with isolated fishplates fitted to the points so it can run both DC and HM7K fitted locos. 
If I were HM7K only like the OP I wouldn’t buy the J50 without the 6 pin decoder being either available or a few months away I.E. Not Expected Autumn 2025.

I believe the answer to your question in part depends on whether you are up for modifying it to fit an 8-pin HM7000.  

As alluded to above, people have already fitted 8-pins to the 08 and you can expect the J50 to have more room than that.  Then there is also the smaller power bank coming and that will help too.

Currently the 8-pin fit is speculative but you can expect to see that resolved on first deliveries.  Then you will know what you will be up for to get it to fit.

• Like 1

The OP does make an important point though. It is ok for us long-term modellers with an old Select or Elite available - we just buy a Dongle. But for anyone new who bought into the HM7000 and TT:120 infrastructure it does not look so good. It is simply not a complete system, over 18 months after its release. I know about component shortages but as I asked when the Dongle was released - what is a newcomer supposed to plug it into? It would not have been difficult to build a simple Dongle to DCC box. But we have offshore-manufacturing lead-times and so nothing happens. I like and use HM7000 decoders but that does not mean I cannot be disappointed about the roll-out.

Edited by dBerriff
  • Like 5

The lack of a 6pin HM 7000 decoder currently doesn’t seem to have hampered pre-orders of the J50 or green 08. 

Chatting to someone who knows the other week, 6pin HM 7000 decoder is something of a priority. I hope that means product closer than the distant date listed. Other smaller versions of associated HM 7000 equipment are imminent. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

The lack of a 6pin HM 7000 decoder currently doesn’t seem to have hampered pre-orders of the J50 or green 08. 

Chatting to someone who knows the other week, 6pin HM 7000 decoder is something of a priority. I hope that means product closer than the distant date listed. Other smaller versions of associated HM 7000 equipment are imminent. 

so you mean it should be soon™ 😜

• Haha 4

47 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

Pray tell .....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rallymatt said:

Other smaller versions of associated HM 7000 equipment are imminent. 

Since the smaller power bank is already known to be in production (since Jenny Kirk has shown off a pre-production sample.)  Is your vague/cryptic ‘clue’ about another unknown item, or simply for dramatic effect?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The 6 pin decoder is not just for TT120 - I believe that some of the more recent small diesels and steam locos in 00 take 6 pins (of course the HM7000 decoder might be too big for some of them...).  Anyway, my point is that there may be some demand from people with 00 equipment (Hornby and even other manufacturers).

Edited by SMR248
  • Like 2

Perhaps the cryptic reference is to upcoming non-sound versions of the existing 18 or 21 pin chips? I do think they will be well received if not quite so eagerly anticipated at the 6-pin