ARC App Device Compatibility

Andy P.

I have a Moto X Play (Android v6.0 & Bluetooth v4) but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work with ARC One.

I can search for the ARC One bluetooth device in Android and it connects briefly for a few seconds (green light on ARC One) but then drops out (goes back to flashing orange light on ARC One).

This is disappointing because I can't justify buying another tablet/phone just to get ARC to work.  Is there a fix for this brief connection issue?  Reading this forum it appears quite a common issue and surely there must be a way to fix it? If we knew the reason for the brief connection and drop out maybe the scalextric community could find a fix. I'm happy to run any bluetooth diagnostic tests on my phone if it helps.

Jason.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Moto X Play (Android v6.0 & Bluetooth v4) but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work with ARC One.

I can search for the ARC One bluetooth device in Android and it connects briefly for a few seconds (green light on ARC One) but then drops out (goes back to flashing orange light on ARC One).

This is disappointing because I can't justify buying another tablet/phone just to get ARC to work.  Is there a fix for this brief connection issue?  Reading this forum it appears quite a common issue and surely there must be a way to fix it? If we knew the reason for the brief connection and drop out maybe the scalextric community could find a fix. I'm happy to run any bluetooth diagnostic tests on my phone if it helps.

Jason.

Hello Jason,

Have you tried the following sequence.

power up the ARC power base

go into the settings on your android device and get Bluetooth running and ensure scalextric ARC is recognized. turn Bluetooth off and on again if needed until it sees the ARC device.

then start the scalextric app. and skip registration.

select a track set from those listed even if there is no match for your layout. do not select other.

go on to calibrate even if the cars from the set selected do not exactly match your cars.

I hope this keeps the connection up.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

@Richard001

Yea, i've tried all of that.  My phone sees the ARC One through Bluetooth and connects with a green light on the ARC.  But the green light only stays on for a few seconds, then goes back to flashing orange and the phone disconnects.  I can find the ARC again and get another green light but again only for a few seconds.  It just doesn't seem to keep the Bluetooth connection to ARC.  I use my phone with other Bluetooth devices (speakers etc..) and it works fine.

Regards,

Jason.

I think you need to consider other possibilities such as interference or other pairing issues.

6. Power down likely interferers. Say that faithful Bluetooth speaker usually connects to your partner's smartphone instead of yours. If you're having trouble pairing your phone with the speaker, it could be because the speaker is trying to activate its usual connection. Some older devices are very simple. They just try to connect with the last thing they paired with. If a Bluetooth device was previously paired with something else, turn off that other gadget.

Other issues to consider are at the following site

http://www.techlicious.com/how-to/how-to-fix-bluetooth-pairing-problems/

@Blagard

Interference isn't a problem.  All other bluetooth devices are off and it works with my sons iphone.  My phone received the latest Android update recently 6.0.1 which I thought might fix it but it didn't.

Anyway, i've given up on it. I've got a spare Arduino board connected to my laptop that i'm using for lap timing etc. I can get accurate lap speeds now as well because I can input my own track length.  It's a shame I had to go down the custom build route but I have had a lot of fun doing it  😆.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got  a MotoX 2nd gen phone with Bluetoooth 4.0 LE and Android 6.0.

It shows up under Bluetooth devices and pairs with the ARC app there, but the ARC app itself doesn't connect at all. (My Hudl 2 works fine)

I know it's not on your compatibilty list, but is there some setting on the phone that needs tweaking or is there some other requirement  that it doesn't meet?

• 2 weeks later...

With updating the ARC Air BLE firmware to v2.3, the ARC app now connects to the power-base on my Moto E2 phone is   😀  Thanks!

I politely suggest  that a non-technical native English speaker reviews the powerbase updating instructions to make them clearer for Joe Public. 

E.g. take out the unecessary technical words like "Downloading to nrf51822 chips"  and phrases like "Select the device again, which is now called DfuArcBLE and is the same chip but in bootloader mode", "Go into the DFU mode" etc

"Put the file to your Dropbox"  also confused me - I don't have a Dropbox. Better would be  something like "Download the file to your phone/tablet"

Hi Maple Man,

No, at least not directly. As far as I know it's only available in Android or iOS at the moment. I haven't heard of any plans to launch a PC version . Maybe Admin could comment?

You could try an Android emulator on the PC. I didn't have any luck as my Bluetooth dongle wasn't v4 BLE compliant, so it wouldn't connect to the base. Also, I got a load of adware when I installed the emulator ☹️.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi guys,

The ARC App needs a certain type of device to function, which is true of almost every piece of software. We would love to be able to have the app work on every smart phone and device available but this just isn't technically possible.

If you have a device that meets the technical specifications above that doesn’t work with the app please let us know the exact device details. This will allow others to comment (whether it works for them or not) and we may even be able to test ourselves.

Hello.Very frustrated here.IhaveaSamsungGalaxyProTab10.0usingAndroidVersion4.4.2andBluetooth4.0theApprefusestodownload.Thisdeviceislistedasserviceableonyourverynarrowlistofdevices.WhenItrytodownloaditsaysthatdevicenotsupported.Pleasesuggestafix.

• 2 weeks later...

Got very excited about the ARC air after viewing you tube videos. However thankfully, before I bought it, I noticed a lot of negative feedback from users regarding the app failing to launch on lots of android devices. So i downloaded the app on all my android devices to see if they would launch. 

One plus one, Samsung tab s2, Asus memo pad 7, and the Nexus 7 2013 (on the compatible devices list) all failed to open the app unless I turned off Bluetooth first. My questions are:

1) why is it so difficult to create an app that works on android?

2) Why does a compatible device not work first time? This is a trading standards issue isn't it?

3) If I go and buy the ARC air, and go through the process of turning off Bluetooth every time I open the app, then turning it on again, will it actually connect to the ARC unit on any of these devices and work? Or am I wasting my time. I hope not, and I hope you respond to this post, as Christmas is coming and this has the potential to be a brilliant product if its given the right support.

Many thanks

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

I have a Motorola E3 running AndriodArc App worked OK until the upgrade and now it won't open.  Is my phone still supported or is it too new for the latest version?

I've also tried the latest update on two Apple and have been unable to access the car listing - is is greyed out.any ideas?

Many thanks

Peter

Hi guys,

The ARC App needs a certain type of device to function, which is true of almost every piece of software. We would love to be able to have the app work on every smart phone and device available but this just isn't technically possible.

If you have a device that meets the technical specifications above that doesn’t work with the app please let us know the exact device details. This will allow others to comment (whether it works for them or not) and we may even be able to test ourselves.

The app just force closes on the hudl 2 after the update. Any news on why so many people are now having issues?

• 5 weeks later...

Just cross-posting here with my newly-incompatible $0.02.  My Amazon Kindle Fire 7" 2015 worked fine for a year with the Scalextric ARC app v. 1.2.2.  Then, I think around the time of an automated upgrade to Fire OS 5.3.2.1, I started having the same scenario as above: it now opens with Bluetooth off; crashes with Bluetooth on, at the "Let's Race" slide-in.  Same crash with v. 1.4.5.

https://www.scalextric.com/us-en/forum/post/view/topic_id/14030/

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to know if you can link this with an adapter to classic track and will it still work?

Classic track and Sport Track work exactly the same, so yes. Just be aware that Classic track has a shallower slot that modern cars may catch their guides on. Also the steel in Classic rails is not as good as Sport so connections in the track will not be as good.

• 1 month later...

i see the arc says it is compatible with the galaxy s4/s5, but is it compatible with the s7 too? i want to order the arc air, but i only have the s7

is the site just not updated or is the arc system only available on older technology?

Chances are that if a software works on older OSs it will work on newer as well. The other way round is less likely.

For example I have apps on my phone that have not been updated since I had my iPhone 4 and they work fine on my iPhone 6.

The compatibility chart can be updated especially if users give Hornby detaield information if the app works on their devices or not.

Chances are that if a software works on older OSs it will work on newer as well. The other way round is less likely.

For example I have apps on my phone that have not been updated since I had my iPhone 4 and they work fine on my iPhone 6.

The compatibility chart can be updated especially if users give Hornby detaield information if the app works on their devices or not.

i ordered the arc air and it will arrive tomorrow. i will post my specific phone version and OS and whether or not it worked.