General Discussion about TT:120

Bexhill Donkey. Beautifully explained. I run Triang TT daily. My understanding is that this new TT will happily run on Peco TT flexi track, in company with my Triang stuff, but that the couplings are not the same. Also, that my TT will run on new Hornby track. Is this, as you see it.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I feel that a free track planning app would help the campaign. If I’m going to make that step to change from OO, I want to know what I can do in the space that I have available with TT.

Give it time and the usual track planners will have the Hornby TT set-track in their libraries.

I must say this is very tempting as if was aimed at me. Which I gave up on model railways a few years back just by chance I looked at the Hornby website I always get the email news.

I gave up due to space and expense being indecisive about scales but this might work I have the ideal table as the table was too small for the bigger layout.

now I got my finances in order and 15% discount if you join the TT club which is free sounds like a good deal the locomotives are not as cheap as one would like but cheaper I need to be careful this time and choose just one locomotive.

think I just stay at this scale but wish there was more Great Western stuff.

im very impressed with the selection. I might just join the club for now.

When I came back from the garden to indoors railway N looked tiny and cost similar to OO, and OO had a toy look that I was familiar with from GScale. So OO gave me more toy for my pound. I think TT:120 Is going to be like N was, smaller and still pricey. I can't imagine an equivalent value product like TTRailroad coming along for decades until the tooling becomes dated, so I will stay with my quaint scale/gauge OO Railroad. Preordered intercity Class 43 Exec, bigger and less expensive than the TT, and hopefully I don't have to wait until 2023. Still joined the TT Club though, it was free

Just a couple of points from reading this post to this point while I slept and you UK guys were buzzing:

• ROW membership - not sure why people thought there was none. All you had to do was scroll down the joining page and there it is. Have already joined
  • DCC power track - Rob, had already noted the price difference. After I’ve bought the DC version, I think having removed the capacitor I’ll post it back to Hornby with a cynical note, the sneaky whatnots
  • track planner software - current versions already contain other manufacturers’ track, so you can start designing now, no need to wait for Hornby pre-orders to arrive. And you can check whether the geometry is the same as Hornby (they’d be mad if it’s not)

Congratulations to Hornby on this bold move, all looks and sounds very interesting. I hope they are able to secure the manufacturing capacity they need for this and, most importantly, that the product quality will be there.

I watched the product launch video and note that the A4 they were running was bobbing around a little on the track, which I expect is down to a combination of the loco being an initial sample and the track-laying perhaps not being 100%.

Nevertheless, exciting stuff and I wish Hornby well with this. It cannot hurt from a company perspective to have another string to the railway bow, especially with the continued rise of competition in the 00 market.

I've signed up to the TT Club and am surely tempted to buy a set to try the system out. I continue to be frustrated by the high threshold on free freight to this part of the world. I placed both of the sets into a basket and, despite the items having the same ETA and the combined total meeting the threshold, the checkout process suggested I would be charged £100 for delivery.

Perhaps this isn't accurate to what would actually occur if I proceeded with the order, but Hornby need to sort this out and make the process more intuitive.

HK.

I hope Hornby have really done their market research and sales forecasts homework on this one. Tri-ang tried TT UK 1:101.6 scale and threw shed loads of money at it, after the initial dust had settled sales tailed away. They found OO in particular was too dominant in the marketplace.

The new range is continental 1:120 TT scale rather than UK 1:101.6 scale TT and only being available from Hornby and not the model shops might be a big mistake as well.

I sincerely hope it's a success for Hornby, the hobby needs new blood and ideas, but I have doubts as to it's long term commercial viability. Anyway congratulations on a very brave move Hornby.

Chistmas came early this year! :^)

I am very excited by this development (there were whispers in the 3mm Society and Peco launching their trackwork was a bit of a hint) as I have been modelling TT since getting a BTTB start set in 1973, then discovering second-hand Tri-ang TT, joining the 3mm Society and building a fleet of kit and scratchbuilt locos and stock - all unashamedly "coarse" 1:101 scale running on 12mm gauge.

I have seen all the nay-sayer comments (including on BRM Web and in the 3mm Society) but well done Hornby! TT really is the ideal scale and I wish them well in this bold venture and will be supporting them by putting my money where my mouth is - and now have a few items on pre-order.

Having seen retail prices for HO/OO sky-rocket over the past few years these seem spot-on, even if they are "introductory" and may then increase in future years (as with Piko when they introduced their TT range) and the club member discount was particularly appreciated.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. I have my spoon at the ready. :^)

Peter.

Hi
Well done Hornby on doing the TT gauge, however for it to successful there needs to be at least a 10 year commitment to the gauge, with regular new models each year.

I would recommend with all new tooling that they also plan to provide a full range of spares not only for the locos but also any other rolling stock as necessary.

I never quite realised what scale tt was! While the range was being announced I ordered the flying Scotsmen set! I presently have an N gauge layout due to lack of space. But I find N gauge locomotives extremely difficult to tinker with, so I try not to at all. Which is not so much fun.

The sets are provided with radius 3 curves and just for information the TT radius 4 curves are the same as Fleischmann N radius 3 curves.

Those of you who have joined the club and pre-ordered, did the 15% discount show anywhere during the purchase process? I'm still mulling over which set to order but I will definitely buy something. We have a little of everything from T to 3.5" gauge in our household :)

Those of you who have joined the club and pre-ordered, did the 15% discount show anywhere during the purchase process?

To answer my own question: taken off at the checkout stage :)

I've joined the club, pre-ordered the Scotsman set and the price was about £185, yet the conformation shows the retail of £215. I've queried Hornby about this and am waiting for a reply.