High Fell, BR (NER) in TT 120

Rallymatt

I don’t think you’ll regret that choice Kev.
To use a somewhat appropriate analogy - I’ve been raised using DCC steam version decoders and I’m really looking forward to riding on an HM7000 HST.

Which one Fishy as there will be Valenta and MTU engine sound profiles to download.

Some developments along the Twizell Valley… The approach embankments to the viaduct have taken shape and ‘Telegraph Hill’ has been constructed. The ‘New Tunnel’ carries the twin track lines towards Durham SE of High Fell and Consett Junction to the NW. New Tunnel is west of High Fell station irrespective of where the line is heading due to the gradient management and the magic of model railways 🤣

Telegraph Hill is made to be removable for cleaning and emergencies. I’m experienced enough to know that the most reliable track in the world takes revenge if it’s ever made inaccessible!

Not wanting to waste previous builds, I took apart the retaining wall from first version of High Fell station, re jigged the tunnel portal location and made ‘The Old Durham Tunnel’ the single line that used to feed onto the viaduct before looping through Cragg Edge to High Fell station. The line has been lifted in places but the rails still lead into the tunnel. Years of disuse have allowed the ballast to bleach.. I made this a lift out piece to to help locate Telegraph Hill when it comes out. Some suitable scenery tricks will hide the joins… forum_image_63cbd2bb1afc2.thumb.png.5b03f0e519f9011850eb35377383e989.pngforum_image_63cbd2c1544b6.thumb.png.dec9e545d18ebc106707055a0a97da4a.pngforum_image_63cbd2c57c497.thumb.png.7881d92cc1e1d93eca8934d5ba5e3c0f.pngforum_image_63cbd2ca2902d.thumb.png.5f1f7825cf48888127b428fa316592ad.pngforum_image_63cbd2cf424d5.thumb.png.a56d9ae7943e94b8d247e3284bbdf70b.pngforum_image_63cbd2d388ee9.thumb.png.32b05da1547646f2d9d90579ad4c6d22.pngforum_image_63cbd2d8163a9.thumb.png.bedab00c2a8acdefa422a75eb56ead15.pngforum_image_63cbd2dd48e17.thumb.png.e17a93ca3a74a313797462801a3d0226.png

Great stuff thumbsup

You are brave hiding all that lot under the tunnel. I guess to help with maintenance, it is fairly light ?

I was thinking of trying stuff like that using polystyrene coated with P.O.P., the trouble with that is I hate the noise it makes so working on it would be a nightmare !

I will be following this with interest and picking up tips from you seasoned scenery makers. blush

Thanks, some of these things I am doing for the first time, dreamed of it as a kid but we weren’t allowed….. 40 years of planning later….and static grass has been invented 🤣

The hill/tunnel unit is removable and once fully dry even lighter than it is now. If you don’t like using foam/polystyrene, scrunched up paper (Amazon brown paper packaging is perfect) I like to use aluminium mesh (it’s sold on Amazon as face mask mesh) as the base for the plaster cloth, those odd bits of foam packaging I use just to hold the mesh up where I want it while the plaster cloth goes off. Card structure to make the tunnel bore, and it’s mostly glued with PVA and hot glue.

My tips for plaster cloth, cut it all into 10-15cm lengths before starting, use cold water not warm, it activates the plaster better, dunk the plaster cloth for only a couple of seconds and don’t squeeze it, you will spend hours trying to unravel it, let the cloth sit in place and gently work the surface with inside of your thumb so not to ‘pick up’ the fabric edges. Do it somewhere away from your layout if you can or mask everything, but most importantly remember you can always go back and change something you don’t like.

The trick with scenery is think in layers, like nature does. Hopefully people will start develop their layouts and we see some more fantastic creations on top of what others have already posted.

@Rallymatt

Good call on the reverse loop over the viaduct, that's exactly what I've got on my OO layout. Or to be precise that's exactly what I haven't got - yet. I've had all the bits for quite some time but haven't yet implemented it rage. Seeing yours has inspired me afresh. As soon as I can get back up to the loft again I will start work on it. Well after certain other things have been completed.

Not sure if anyone has tried this ... but is the Javis granite ballast underlay any good ?

Does it look reasonable and does it help soundproof in any way ?

Been watching tutorials on ballasting but I can imagine the points being a nightmare, so was looking for an easier, decent looking option.

care is needed around points but key is put small amounts of ballast on, I ‘stipple’ it in with an old paint brush, but use very small amounts around the point mechanism. No idea on foam ballast, never seen anything that convincing in foam.

Thanks Brew Man, it just made so much sense 😁

Ha ha TT, that is something I was working on last night. Currently there are no TT portals in the UK, Auhagen do a nice set but £25 postage when the parts cost £15… no.

So I am looking at kit bashing a Ratio N tunnel portal kit I have, leaving out the arch and going for a more modern square design. Once plaster is fully dry I’ll start offering up the bits and see what looks good. There will be a bit more infilling to do etc

Well, scratched about through my parts boxes and have cobbled something together. Still a work in progress, tunnel portal design could be unique to this area! Telegraph Hill is still damp after all 3 layers of plaster cloth applied. Found a suitable piece of bark to be a dominating rock face loads more to develop but it’s coming on.forum_image_63cd6dcfc1c3d.thumb.png.f6a21bdbc3fa3ffb6f0c93fbfca99ac1.png

Hello Rallymatt,

That looks very good, I'm curious how it will look later :) Especially the bridge looks good so far.

I build my mountains in lightweight construction: the core is made of styrodur on top of which is construction foam which is adjusted after drying and then on Top toilet paper is coated with a mixture of wood glue and water - it becomes as hard as plaster bandages, is much lighter and makes less dirt :D

Hi DB-Faher, thank you 😁, I have seen the method you use on a video by Martin (Marklin of Sweden) I will try it another time, it’s not a technique I have used before, Telegraph Hill isn’t so heavy 😁

The viaduct is actually 2 Metcalfe N scale card kits. Obviously TT120 is just getting going here so not so many accessories available yet. Hopefully some of the UK retailers will start stocking German TT products, they advertise but never have stock

I can only recommend it, I've been building several layouts with this method for years, it's also easier to adapt the mountains to your requirements ;)

Ah, ok, Metcalfe bridges in N, I already have them here for my layout :D although I can also recommend the "Noch Hartschaumviadukt N", which I used :)

I'm very excited to see how you continue to build :D

Hi TT, I use PVA. A thin line down the centre line of where the track is going, pop the track on, weight it down for an hour or so. Then when I ballast, it is also set in 30/70 PVA/water mix, that also helps secure the track, just like real ballast.

If you ever need any to lift the track, it’s possible without wrecking it. I have never used track pins.

Although I spent quite a time designing the concept of High Fell and the basic track plan, I do like to take a dynamic approach….it can change as it goes down….and even after that. Usually it’s not until you see it that things start to gel. This can cause problems…. particularity when a point moves and of course the motor needs to go right where a baseboard stretcher is…argggh, so the main point into High Fell station had its motor surface mounted…and then how do you hide a wagon sized bright red solenoid…. Step forward huge S&C water tower. The base needed to be raised accommodate the tie bar. Make some ‘concrete’ steps from card and problem becomes a feature 😁

This model really needed weathering, the steel water tank on mine was a lurid green but a coat of Matt Olive Drab, rusty hand rails and some weathering powder, it looks more like they did in the last days of steam on the mainline. forum_image_63ced5552f41d.thumb.png.294ca3abcf392a1f1ec3cb451e831920.pngforum_image_63ced55a4942b.thumb.png.9db6799ccecfd8db5ecbfa660c8866a7.png

Ha, the idea is great, I remember it from my grandpa when the point Motors were laid above ground and had to be hidden (ours were small :P ).

The water tower has aged well, I really like it :D I'm waiting for my buildings from Hornby and then they'll be reworked in terms of color.