Problem Down Loading RailMaster

The Railmaster (RM) DownLoad (DL) is probably being blocked by your browser security and being treated as a suspicious file. Nearly everyone is affected by this issue as Railmaster is incorrectly marked as a 'false positive' security risk. Files that are downloaded with either a .COM or .EXE file extension are treated for security purposes more aggressively because these file types are programs that can be run.

It depends upon which browser you are using as to how severely you are affected. I use Firefox and RM is downloaded OK, except I have to manually force the DL and reject the option to remove the DL file.

Other browsers have more aggressive security settings than Firefox and don't let you get that far without making configuration changes to the browser prior to trying the DL. Microsoft edge and Google Chrome are two such browsers that need their configurations edited before the RM DL will be visible. There are posts on this forum describing how.

What browser are you using?

If you look in the other sticky threads at the top of the Railmaster forum section you will find other RM DL links to try. One of them is RM saved within a ZIP file. In theory the ZIP file should DL OK and avoid the browser security block, but will need an UnZip utility to extract the RM installer file from within it.

EDIT: The ZIP file now seems to have been removed by HRMS, but the .EXE file is still active.

To reiterate, RM is a safe file to DL from the links on the Hornby website, it does not have the 'Trojan' the browsers detect and report as being present.

As this is an issue that gets raised very often, please also have a read of this most recent thread [one of many] reporting the same issue. It contains info on how to configure MS edge to allow the DL.

problems downloading railmaster :: Hornby Hobbies

Note: Have you 'Deactivated' the RM license on the original PC. If you haven't, you will experience issues 'Activating' the RM license on the new laptop.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who continue to be faced with their PC blocking the download of the rm_setup.exe file, even after trying the suggestions documented in posts above.

There is an alternative you can try.

This works on my Android tablet, it should also theoretically work on an iPad too.

Basically, I downloaded the RM file using the browser on my Android and because a Windows .exe file can't run on the Android, it is completely ignored by the browser and tablet security. In my case the rm_setup.exe file downloaded onto my tablet without any error or security messages being generated whatsoever. Although I didn't test this next bit, it should not be an issue to then connect your Android / Apple device to your PC via USB and copy the file over onto the PC where it can be run.

The browsers you use should not have much effect on the download of this file.

If you are being told the file cannot be downloaded then simply turn, temporarily, the threat protection part of Windows Security off.

1. Open Windows Security
  2. Click on Virus and Threat Protection
  3. Scroll down to Virus and Threat Protection Settings and click the link Manage Settings
  4. Turn off Real-time and Cloud-delivered protection (the former is the critical one here but both being off is better)
  5. Download the RM setup file and install
  6. On completion turn back on both protection settings

That's it. No browser should get in the way of this download and if it does then stop using that browser. Firefox works as does Opera...

Downloaded the file yesterday on Windows 11.

Had no problem getting around the security warnings to get the file then run it without any adjustment to Windows Security settings. I had to do this on three occasions: when I first went to download, when the download completed, and when I ran it.

I think the option was to Keep the file on each occasion. I also reported it to Windows as a threat-free file.

The problem I had was reading my handwriting on the saved licence key and solved it as I still have the original CD with licence key in the case, at least 10 yrs old. Upgraded to Pro Pak first go. Yet to worry about HH.

Sometimes I can download with or without the warnings which means Windows Security is quite the security wizard - not. This happens in W10 and W11 but if folk do experience these issues this is the simplest workaround.

You have shown however, Fishy, that not everyone gets the same fault which one may assume they would if Windows worked the same way every time... but it doesn't. Who doesn't love a good anomoly?

Just out of interest, I followed AC's navigation on my Windows 10 PC. The location where the settings he documented are supposed to be found did not show the stated options i.e Manage Settings documented in list item 3 & Real-time protection documented in list item 4.

The stated locations (in my case) displayed entries that specifically related to my third party AV software I am using. I assume that the AC documented options are only applicable if using the default Windows inbuilt security.

My particular Windows 10 setup does however still give me access to "Reputation-based protection" in Windows Security in the 'App & Browser control' section. That appears to offer similar / alternative security disabling options as a temporary disabling workaround.

My Chrome browser on Windows 10 wasn't keen on the link provided on the Hornby support page, just ignored it without any error or blocking message. Also ignored it from "open in new window" but I then tried the link again from that window and it downloaded.

I notice it's a plain http link not a secure link, that maybe why some browsers aren't totally happy with it? I tried it as an https and it came up with certificate errors regarding the common name.

• 6 months later...
I notice that the download URL for the upgrade is only http. Does that leave Railmaster itself more vulnerable to insertion of a virus into their exe?

The https security certificate only encrypts the communication between your computer/device & the website - it doesn’t make the server that hosts the website any easier to compromise. (That is dependent on an entirely separate area of security/encryption.)

The weakness (that a lack of certificate exposes) is there is no way for their website to prove (& no way for you to determine) that it is the genuine site.

Lack of https certificate therefore has no effect on likelihood of their file being infected - however it does increase the potential risk that you might not be downloading their file.

Also why are they not using a normal secure server for the download like others do?

Only Railmaster’s owner can provide the truth to this question. Back when Railmaster was first developed, secure websites were not as commonplace as they are today. A possibility could therefore be lack of awareness, of the potential risk to their customers. Another could be cost - they might not be willing to pay for it.

Just to add to LT&SR....'s reply.

Regard your second point have a read of this previous post.

https://uk.hornby.com/community/forum/who-is-railmaster-and-are-there-any-updates-to-accommodate-tt120-and-hornbys-new-hm7000-dcc-chips-366062#post-366063

If the suggestion in that thread is correct that RM is owned and developed by a SINGLE entity, who also is now a 'one product' software developer and that product (RM) has not had any significant upgrade in years.

Then the 'cost' argument is very likely to be the reason why RM is not downloaded from an HTTPS certified server.

RM is also written in obsolete Visual Basic 6 for Windows XP, another small piece of evidence that the RM developer is very cost sensitive. The long term future of RM will IMO depend upon what happens with the next rumoured December update (if it ever happens?).

Hi steve here

i too am having problems downloading a copy of railmaster

I have been using railmaster for a number of years and have always had problems mainly due to windows overzealous protection software , usually got round by downloading it with a different browser ie Firefox .

I bought a new laptop especially for using railmaster

Equipped with a touchscreen and the latest windows 11 I thought it would be great , but alas no matter what I try , I can’t get it downloaded

I tried the NZ version as suggested by someone , i have tried Chrome and Firefox

I even tried deleting the virus software and turning off windows “ unknown publisher “ block

I have it on another windows eleven computer , so I know I succeeded , but I would like to use both , if that is even possible

I have moved into the hm 7000 decoders which are great but don’t do accessories …….. yet .

Can any body help I have runout of ideas

Have you got access to an Andriod or IOS mobile/tablet device. Download it on that and then do a manual file copy from that device to your PC. The Android / IOS OS don't appear to consider RM any form of threat.

Have you tried Windows 11 Edge, but first changing the Edge security settings (see the link below regarding what settings to change).

How to tell Microsoft Edge to let you download a file it's blocking - CNET

I suggest that once downloaded, you follow the 'Defender' settings also documented in the above article to provide the security but with an override click option.

Do you have access to anyone (friend / family) who still have a Windows 10 or earlier PC. Download it on that, then copy file via a memory stick to yours. Or try your other PC to download and copy file via a stick.

Have you tried downloading the ZIP file version using 'copy n paste' of the raw text URL documented in the 'Railmaster download link' pinned sticky thread. Do not bother with the clickable link version of this Hyperlink, instead use 'copy n paste' directly into your browser address pane.

To use RM on two different PCs you will need a second license key at about £70. RM has a feature that supports master & multiple slave PC working, but each slave RM PC needs its own license.

Problems started with new computer production. RM, was built to run on windows xp, then updated and runs perfectly on windows 7, which is how several of us use it. Then with more sophisticated protections, problems started. Windows 10, as seen can be a nightmare, and windows 11 has followed suit. It is such a shame, as RM, does really run well on the older systems. Many, have managed, with a lot of patience, to set it up, and i feel for Scott, as it is , i am afraid, going to be far from easy. On a different thread, i posted that i refused all RM updates, and this is why. Over to the Computer Expert, mod, Augustus, to help, perhaps.

There is no issue with running RM. It has been running reliably for years on Windows 10, and now similarly on 11.

The single issue faced here is downloading the setup file which has been of varying difficulty to some, from no problem (me on 11, see earlier post) to extremely difficult (RAF). However, this thread also contains 2 methods of bypassing Windows attempts to block you.

So go back, read carefully and you should be up and running in no time.

John, you wouldn’t have any of these problems with the download on your setup and just need a thumb drive to transfer it from where you download to the computer you use in the non-wi fi connected train room. Like you did to get to the version you are running now in the first place.

Fishy, Really, no issue with running Railmaster !!. There are more posts on this forum about it, than you can throw a stick at. Had it not been an issue, the guy would not have needed to post in the first place. I agree with the rest of your post , and that it has been running for years, and is a great system , but come on, there have been pages and pages of issues, with computer types, windows software, security, all of which , have not been a RM fault, but have stopped it from running.

John, I think there is some exaggeration here. Most of the problems seen are due to the non-plug and play nature of RM then not following the comprehensive setup guidance in the stickies (covers issues including correct drivers, Comm port selection, basic setup and ini file tweaks). Then there have been some issues with the RM servers blocking particular ISPs, again covered comprehensively by AC.

Between those, there were a few left over who needed HRMS to log into their systems (including yourself) and, following that, almost no one not up and running. Those who decided not to follow through excepted.

Hello steve here again

I had another careful look at the security stuff on my laptop especially windows

there now appears to be 3 firewalls in the defender area

i switched them all off then downloaded the software from your new( to me ) help area at the beginning of this forum subject ,no problem ,then simply switched them all on again

Happy days are here again

thanks

To go back in time and go over all of the previous ideas I have placed here and upon the Help Site would be unjustifiable and a waste so I will offer up a couple of different ideas since some are still having issues downloading the RM setup file from official sources.

As stated I have outlined how to do this under normal circumstances and some folk are able to download without issue, some, however, still have problems. These problems are not based on a one issue one solution scenario but I will give two I have not offered up before...

The first to try is a download from my own site, link based in the usual place, and I have checked this, with and without fault, and can state categorically the file is NOT riddled with a virus or trojan or anyone's grandma's sharp teeth... go to the site and look under "Prep Install". The download should be immediate and has been checked in W10 and W11 again today. This is also with all security on inside Windows etc.

The second option is to load Windows 10 or 11 in "Safe Mode with Networking" where no virus software will be loaded up nor any Windows security software while you are in this mode.

When Windows settles and loads up its basic set of drivers your usual display may seem a little out with larger graphics etc. and is normal. This is to save time and effort and also in case graphics drivers are the cause of a fault in some cases. Do not meddle with things here that you should normally would not meddle with because upon a system restart you may find Windows isnt' quite the same...

Next, open a browser, go to my own site, if necessary, and download the file. If not working then find another source, official, and try that download again that you attempted during normal Windows functioning, and hey presto... you may just find you have RM.

DO NOT try and install RM while in Safe Mode. Simples.

As soon as you have downloaded the file leave Safe Mode and restart Windows as normal. If you do get any warning in this state then something is odd with your system so do try and see if any stray security switches are loaded up under processes (under Services) and turn them off if possible. Be careful here.

To figure out how to do some of the above just use your search engine and do a small amount of detective work because Windows now adds and removes, moves software and options around with each update so I would be opening a proverbial text book giving all avenues of those options here.

Do no try and do something I have not outlined above because I will not be held responsible for any actions taken. All actions taken under these kind of conditions are at your own risk.

I do hope some will find peace of mind with this helpful option.

there now appears to be 3 firewalls in the defender area

I think it would be prudent to investigate this further. It is a known fact that running more than a SINGLE Firewall on a Windows PC is known to create issues. This excludes the Firewall located in the BB Router which is perfectly acceptable to leave running.

I'm a software developer and ran into similar issues with my own downloads where Microsoft was flagging it as a virus.

To get around this, Hornby need to submit their files to: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/filesubmission.

When I did it, it took less than a day and the software no longer got blocked or reported as a virus.

Mod note - passed to HRMS who is the sub contract software writer of RM and who is not Hornby.