HM | DCC (HM7000) bug reports (app and decoder)

96RAF

Please use this thread and this thread only to report bugs. (include decoder type, profile loaded and device app is on in your report) 

Once a bug is resolved the thread will be purged of that instance.

Current bugs being worked on are not required.

Where a temporary workaround has been established then that procedure will be added to the bug post for the guidance of members.

• Thanks 4

• 96RAF featured and pinned this topic
5 hours ago, gilbo2 said:

Problem: iOS App in iPad started to crash after adding a number of locos with images to the Dongle device. See post below:

https://community.hornbyhobbies.com/topic/35259-app-crashes-too-many-dongle-locos

Issue reported to HM CC and video of problem was requested.

Workaround: None known at current time.

Hello Gilbo2, Could you let us know how many locomotives you currently have registered in the app and if are they all set to active? I am asking because there was a known issue in earlier versions (up to version 1.1) where registering more than 55 locomotives, especially with images, would cause the app to crash and corrupt the database if all locos were active. Thankfully, this bug was addressed and fixed with the release of version 1.3. I assume you updated the HM/DCC app and are already running version 1.3.

I want to mention that I don't use a dongle; my setup relies solely on Bluetooth. For users who encountered the bug in older versions, a temporary solution was to deactivate some of the locomotives in the engine shed that were not in use. This way, you could keep a few locomotives activated at any given time for use. There's a screenshot attached that illustrates this: it shows one locomotive activated while the others are deactivated on my iPad. You can toggle the active or deactivate status directly on the locomotive's settings page, accessible from the main loco screen. This is where you can also switch between running modes, such as Bluetooth or DCC, for your selected locomotive.

Please update the group if that works, but my thoughts are this could be an issue only with the code controlling the dongle.

1AD08FD6-221C-4964-A8C2-E5FB2F70FFE2.png

• Thanks 1

Hello @The Last Ninja, thank you for your most relevant reply and information. To keep this thread clear, I've replied back to you in the original discussion thread for this problem:

https://community.hornbyhobbies.com/topic/35259-app-crashes-too-many-dongle-locos/?do=findComment&comment=375611

@96RAF, my OCD wants to keep this bug report thread clear of discussion as I've done above, but happy to follow any precedence.

• Thanks 1

Current advice is that it is likely an app memory problem, so please place an arbitrary limit of 30 loco images for now to avoid crashes until it is fully investigated and a fix is found.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, 96RAF said:

Current advice is that it is likely an app memory problem, so please place an arbitrary limit of 30 loco images for now to avoid crashes until it is fully investigated and a fix is found.

Thank you, the other recommendations I received was to:

• Ensuring full charge of the ipad.
  • Ensuring all other apps are closed other than HM | DCC.
  • Ensuring Low Power Mode is not ON.
  • Ensuring you have free space on the iPad.

Unfortunately in my case "the horse has bolted" so hoping a fix can be found without needing to delete and start all over :classic_wink:

Hi Gilbo2, Following a conference call with Hornby yesterday, they confirmed to me that, as 96RAF stated, it indeed involves a memory issue created by a bug in the app. The temporary workaround for you is to delete some loco images in the loco profile screens. The bug originates from an arbitrary limit on the amount of image memory allocated, mistakenly imposed by the third-party developer in version 1.3. This issue will be addressed in the next update they are planning. The intention was to restrict the app to just 20 locos when using Bluetooth to prevent crashes when over 55 locos are registered and all are active. I would also recommend closing the app regularly and reopening it to clear the memory jam when changing locos or making one active or deactivated. Another workaround solution, if you have a photo editor like Lightroom or Photoshop, is to load your images into a photo editor and save the images out at a much smaller file size. By halving the image file size of the locos in the app, you will double the images you can use until the update is released. I have attached a screen grab in Lightroom of where you do this when saving/exporting the file. Try to save the image at a maximum file size 1,000 or 2,000 K. 

Screenshot 2024-03-02 at 08.55.52.png

• Thanks 1

Thank you @The Last Ninja, following discussions yesterday I'd managed to find a way in to delete images until the crashes stopped. I've taken your suggestion regarding smaller images and that's worked, even significantly more than the arbitrary 30 limit. Images are not quite to the same standard, but they will do for now :classic_wink:

• Like 1

Hi all.  Has anybody encountered being unable to download sound profiles? All worked well last week and today the import running functions and sound profile options are not selectable… firmware etc all updated ok.  App removed and reinstalled also (iPad).
Thanks in advance 

Matt

IMG_0064.png

IMG_0065.png

Already covered in great detail several times in both TT120 and HM7K sections. Use the profile page until its fixed.

There is almost never any need to delete the app as you lose everything and have to start again. Power cycling is all that is necessary.

Hi has anyone had trouble installing profiles,went to move a decoder to another loco went to install profile but it’s showing in dark Green so can’t be clicked on,only lets me import function map like it thinks it’s a tts decoder not a txs decoder.Went through all the profiles same thing,tried 3 devices both on apple and android,unlinked and rescanned,decoder works with the old sound profile still there but won’t let me install new one.Any help appreciated thx

IMG_0297.png

11 minutes ago, brom said:

Hi has anyone had trouble installing profiles,went to move a decoder to another loco went to install profile but it’s showing in dark Green so can’t be clicked on,only lets me import function map like it thinks it’s a tts decoder not a txs decoder.Went through all the profiles same thing,tried 3 devices both on apple and android,unlinked and rescanned,decoder works with the old sound profile still there but won’t let me install new one.Any help appreciated thx

IMG_0297.png

Brom,

Take a look here: 

• 3 weeks later...

Having installed the HM7k app with Dongle on Moto play 6 (because my Galaxy Tablet is currently incompatible with the app) and got it working with a couple of locos I have experienced two app crashes. The app crashes to white screen and does not respond to a Forced Stop or Clear Cache. Only Clear Storage fixes it, but that loses all input data for 30 locos etc.

Am I the only one to have experienced such an app crashes. Using other software, one of the first things to do is to backup/save the input so far. With many 'keystrokes' required for each loco and accessory, a crash is catastrophic and off-putting.

What is the recommended method to backup all this add data? I have tried several general Google backup methods. All to no avail. Shouldn't there be a built-in save data/backup facility? I would like to keep a copy of the data 'off site' as a backup.

• Like 1

On 26/03/2024 at 10:06, Charles-253087 said:

Having installed the HM7k app with Dongle on Moto play 6 (because my Galaxy Tablet is currently incompatible with the app) and got it working with a couple of locos I have experienced two app crashes. The app crashes to white screen and does not respond to a Forced Stop or Clear Cache. Only Clear Storage fixes it, but that loses all input data for 30 locos etc.

Am I the only one to have experienced such an app crashes. Using other software, one of the first things to do is to backup/save the input so far. With many 'keystrokes' required for each loco and accessory, a crash is catastrophic and off-putting.

What is the recommended method to backup all this add data? I have tried several general Google backup methods. All to no avail. Shouldn't there be a built-in save data/backup facility? I would like to keep a copy of the data 'off site' as a backup.

I had this happen, and only fixed it by deleting the app and reinstalling it.

I had to reload all my locos with the images reduced to about 50k.

Not seen this mentioned anywhere-
I set the function button for the brake to toggle (the switch option) 
a week  ago I had a problem and  removed my loco from the track - this occurred when in shunting  mode and the brake toggled ( I think)

Next day I tried the loco and it was running  very  poorly, despite resetting all cv's  then uninstalling the profile  and even resetting the decoder the poor running  (well it  wouldn't run to all intents).

Today I had another go  - the  brake  function had  been reset according to the app when I pressed the brake  function key (not  driving  controls) the loco  moved so  I reset it  to toggle and applied the brake function and the loco  moved  smoothly  but slowly  so  putting  2and2 together I realised that the brake was on  for  the past week, and the toggle was effectively the other way round  when the  brake function is lit the brake is OFF  and  when it is not illuminated  it is ON
( I was thinking I  had a burned out  motor).

so as it was running albeit slowly  I tried putting the shunting switch on and yep it  now ran at a  much  better speed
Took  shunting  mode OFF and  back  to slow speed

So it appears that if you  power off with a function engaged  that  setting  then becomes the default  and is working  inversely
Then there is the secondary issue  that this was  not cleared  by a reset , uninstall and re-install  of profile  or even a  hard reset using the password.

Sly

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if it's a bug or problem with the decoder but after working fine for 2 weeks my loco now moves a few inches then stops, all sound stop. After a few seconds it will move off again without any prompting or finger pushing but the sound and lights do not come back on. I've cleaned everything and ran the layout on DC and everything works fine. 

The loco works fine using the Hornby app. I am using a NCE power cab and I've found the same problem using a Bachmann EZ command. 

The decoder is fitted to A Hornby class 31, the decoder id HM7000_4885

Thanks for any help.

Steve. 

Assuming you have updated the sound profile to the latest version? Is a Powerbanks fitted?

It sounds like dirty track or pickups or possibly an overload tripping the NCE as you say it's ok on other controllers.

It hasn't got a power bank and I've cleaned everything. It even stoped on a rolling road. I thought if it was dirty track etc it would need a push to get going agin but it starts automatically. Interested to know how it could be tripping out?