Class 37 Liveries

Tim Allen

Class 37 Liveries - Which would you buy?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Class 37 Liveries would you buy? Select Multiple if required.

• BR Green
    • BR Blue Small Logo and Yellow ends
    • BR Blue Large Logo and Large Yellow ends
    • BR Grey Executive / Swallow Late 80's/90's
    • BR Rail Freight
    • EWS
    • Police Livery
    • Other (state in comments)

I've seen a few comments about different liveries for the upcoming Class 37 and thought I'd make a post to get them in one place. Hopefully Hornby may see this and get an idea on what people are after seeing as in the announcement they said no liveries had been decided yet.

Edited by Tim Allen
  • Like 5

Agreed, great idea @Tim Allen and perhaps we should have do this for all forthcoming models with no finalised liveries. The forum represents only a tiny fraction of TT:120 modellers and Hornby would weed out the anomalies but if this question had been put with 08, I bet Green would have been a very popular choice

• Like 1

@Tim Allen - the option you haven’t mentioned is whether people would prefer split or central headcode boxes!

(I realise this may just be me… but I’ve always loved the central & loathed the split & while I would prefer BR Green - this would have a bigger impact on my  purchase choice than livery!) 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LTSR_NSE said:

@Tim Allen - the option you haven’t mentioned is whether people would prefer split or central headcode boxes!

(I realise this may just be me… but I’ve always loved the central & loathed the split & while I would prefer BR Green - this would have a bigger impact on my  purchase choice than livery!) 🤦‍♂️

Split for sure... But then again... One of each in each livery?!? 😵‍💫

I love the split headcode, it’s always been my favourite version of this loco.  I’d also like an early BR Blue version, and a Scotrail.  There are so many to choose from I daresay Hornby will get plenty of mileage out of this tooling. 🙂

• Like 1

There's so many possibilities, just hope Hornby will release at least 3 variants per production run.

If I had my way, first production run, it would be split headcode without yellow panels (D6700), 37/4 large logo, Scotrail, centre headcode and 37/4 EWS, centre headcode.

Edited by gc4946

9 hours ago, gc4946 said:

There's so many possibilities, just hope Hornby will release at least 3 variants per production run.

I think there are two confirmed for the first release (which is fewer than for the other diesels announced so far) so hopefully more 37’s will be confirmed closer to release.  I love the split headcode version but a mix of types and liveries at launch would be fantastic.

Im hoping for some early blue centre headcode and matching blue grey MK1s.

Were confirmed, but as they said they might not stick to that...

37415 was EWS livery

D6704 was a lovely green with split head code and has previously been made by Accurascale in 00 (feels like a blocker to other manufacturers when I put it like that in the context of other recent posts)

Screenshot_20240412-184056.png

Edited by StuLarge
Autocorrect wrong

Split code box green 37 is such an iconic early diesel that goes very well with the late crest steam locos and the choice of early BR coaching stock so many of us have already invested in and some of the wagons coming through. Hopefully that does make the cut. A blue 37 would be nice to see to hook up the appropriate (or very close) rolling stock. A lot of options in the 37 so it’s going to be a well used base tooling 😁

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Thanks to everyone that has voted so far, I know we're only a small portion of the TT user base but at least it can give some kind of feel for what folk want.

Even with the small cross section its obvious that some sort of era 7 version should be released along with an era 6 Green and a later era freight version.

Edited by Tim Allen
Dyslexia!
  • Like 4

It’s definitely a worthwhile poll. I think it confirms what many thought. Hornby will likely be missing a trick if they don’t have a 37 between era 6 and 9, especially given the presence of Mk2s - we still need those blue/grey Mk1s though!

Edited by Moccasin
Grammar innit?
  • Like 3

I've voted, but....

Once the initial, major design works has been finalised, surely it's a minor matter of sorting out the various paint jobs? Is that me simplifying it too much?

The 37 went through quite a series of modifications and rebuilds through the years. The differences between the early, exec livery and GWR versions of 43 show that Hornby is serious about getting details right. It’s more than just the paint job. Same with the 50. Early version of that is quite different to the intended launch models. 

• Like 1

This is a clear benefit of starting from a clean CAD model and not relying on tired toolings. Putting the work in on the variations at the start of model development means that everything is there in the future.

The 37s have more variations than many classes I suspect. 

• Like 3