Hornby Elite : Remote option or iPhone app ?

wapples

OUCH! Not quite sure where to pop this one. I adore my Hornby Elite controller but with the new layout was wondering if we can save some leg work ideally can I buy something and use an app or remote control or happy to have a hard wired remote or connected controller at the other end.

Possibilities available ?

cheers

OP

My understanding:

To use the HM7000 app with non-Bluetooth decoders you will need a HM7000 “dongle” (R7326). This is plugged into the Elite (or Select).

A Select can also be used as a hard-wired “Walkabout” controller I believe, but I have not looked into that.

Well I just forked out the $86 Pounds PLUS P&H for the PRE ORDER of this
HM7040
https://uk.hornby.com/products/hm7040-legacy-dongle-existing-dcc-controllers-r7326
Is this correct that I will be able to control my layout from my Hornby Elite through to my IOS device wirelessly (BT) Has anyone had a play with this as yet?
Thanks
OP

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes I did see that which is what brought me here. I have no intention of touching the insides of my locos or changing chips etc. Very very happy with how everything works might just need to loom a longer lead and walk around with controller lol. Just thought there might be some third party add on incould
plug into elite and interface with iPhone. Kind of like RAIL LINK 2.0

I take it you’ve seen the HM7000 article?
https://uk.hornby.com/hm7000
Does that not meet your needs? When available obviously.
R-

It looks like the HM7000 dongle and HM DCC app will solve this problem by allowing the phone to talk DCC through the Elite.

Theres a very hacky solution I cobbled together which allows the Roco Z21 app or their wireless Maus throttle to remotely control an Elite. But it needs a PC running Rocrail as an intermediary. But for the joy of wireless control of locos with a physical throttle it’s quite fun.

https://uk.hornby.com/community/forum/hornby-elite-wireless-throttle-and-app-control

• 1 month later...
simply buy a select and a walkabout cable. job done

With the caveat that having a Select connected has functionality implications, which using the dongle and phone won't.

Although it doesn't matter if they only use 2 digit addressing?

Edit: Predictive text got the wrong word.

You can also use the elite plugged into a laptop running railmaster and then use the railmaster mobile website. I tried it but the connection was too unstable for me to enjoy it. Could have been my WiFi setup so worth a try, I don't think railmaster on its own is too expensive, and the full mobile bolt on it about 12 quid

Railmaster mobile website - I think you mean RM HH or handheld here. Full details in the HH guide/manual downloaded to your desktop as part of RM.

Nothing new here, it’s been part of RM for years. The iOS version works better than other operating systems (plural) available.

More flexible/capable than HM | DCC currently. You can control locos from your Elite/RM screen/HH simultaneously and you can control points as per RM.

And for reliable operation, you need to use fixed IP addressing on your PC/laptop.

Hipwell has the price pretty right. Additional copies after your first are half price.

I have RM with laptop, NO need for wifi at layout, an Elite and 3 Select Walkabouts, with specially made 3 metre cables. There is nowhere i cant get a controller to. Out of interest, on my DC layout i also have 2 walkabout controllers from a Morley controller. All i need now, are new legs.

If you don’t want the hard-wired walkabout controller option then the new HM DCC app is a wireless solution. At present it operates HM7000 decoders remotely but with the addition of the HM7040 legacy dongle plugged into the Elite you can also operate you existing decoders from the app.

At the moment available on iOS but Android version is on its way.

Just my opinion & no disrespect to anyone else…

A tablet being both larger & heavier than most of my locos - seems no more losable than them (or a hardback book). A phone is smaller and therefore admittedly slightly more losable, but if treated like keys or wallet, it should never leave your side.

Wired walkabout controllers on the other hand, sound like a recipe for entanglement and either trips & falls, or damage to controllers/layout.

I guess everyone uses what feels most comfortable & appropriate for them! grinning

LT, Elite plus 3 walkabouts is 4 iPads , needed if you are going to leave them on layout. My layout is 54 foot round, so fair way to walk back if you need to. From my chair to mid far side should loco come off, some way there and back. Much easier to put back from where it derailed with Select. As for mobile phone, mine is 30 years old and in no way smart, so waste of Time. Each of course to their own.

Yelrow - You would only need 4 iPads, to allow 4 individuals separate simultaneous control. If only yourself controlling, just keep it beside your chair & take it with you when you attend to derailments.

An advantage of Bluetooth/wireless is that you could only need a single handset regardless how many locos (or even layouts) you have - provided you keep it with you.

However wired/wireless control is probably the next DC/DCC debate - so I’ll relinquish the soapbox!

Not yet. The R8247 can only be operated direct by the Elite and dependant upon if your points are on a separate accessory bus then possibly only by a second DCC controller.

The app can only control the HM6010 points and accessories module if that is powered by DC. If powered by DCC then it can only be operated by a DCC controller. Confused ??

The HM6010 has no equivalent of loco decoder CV12 which allows a user to flip between Bluetooth and DCC. It is locked in one mode or the other by its power supply type.

In the fullness of time the app will be updated to do as you require.

Thanks for the info. I only have a single bus which everything hangs off, so that part sounds OK. Seems like I need to wait for the app to be updated then, as I wouldn't want to go down the HM6010 route as it wouldn't make sense for my DCC setup.

LT, by having 4 controllers the village children are able to enjoy my layout as well. Hence if i went your route i pad would Not be enough. It is , as we say horses for courses. I am afraid at 79, i will not be convinced or converted to this gadgetry. Been a good discussion though, back to head in sand.

• 3 months later...

Correct BM. The HM DCC app on the iPad sends Bluetooth commands to the dongle. The dongle tells the Elite and the Elite sends DCC commands to the rails to control your regular locos.

Any number of regular decoders can be assigned to the dongle.

If your Elite has 2 Xpressnet slots then you can use 2 dongles and 2 iPads can send commands to 2 sets of locos via one Elite.