Class 50 locomotives

Mulsanne88

1 hour ago, Porfuera said:

The latest catalogue gives the Class 37s as:

BR, Class 37, Co-Co - Era 6

EWS, Class 37, Co-Co - Era 9

So presumably not green...?

I think it is odd that they've gone for Era 6 when the Class 08, HST and Class 50 are all Era 7, but I guess an Era 6 Class 37 should just be a quick renumbering job to upgrade it to Era 7.

At least the Class 31s is given as Era 7 (as well Era 6 and Era 9 EWS).

At the 19:00 minute mark of the April TT:120 Q&A, Martyn answers a question on the Class 37. He mentions they are not yet at the point where they're deciding liveries for the Class 37. This indicates that the previously announced BR and EWS models might not be the ones that launch. We can likely expect as many as 2-3 versions to be available on the original release. Those might be the BR and EWS versions, but there also could be a variety of liveries we haven't heard about yet.

Unfortunately, we'll need to wait to find out!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Porfuera said:

The latest catalogue gives the Class 37s as:

BR, Class 37, Co-Co - Era 6

EWS, Class 37, Co-Co - Era 9

So presumably not green...?

I think it is odd that they've gone for Era 6 when the Class 08, HST and Class 50 are all Era 7, but I guess an Era 6 Class 37 should just be a quick renumbering job to upgrade it to Era 7.

At least the Class 31s is given as Era 7 (as well Era 6 and Era 9 EWS).

aha - That will be a blue scheme with a D number then, for the era 6.  Similar to the old Hornby Class 37 i had as a boy.

9 hours ago, david_watts1 said:

"I can't agree with his thoughts over the price "it's smaller it should be cheaper!"

Compare N scale prices with 00, not a great deal of difference. Engineering is similar, just a tiny less amount of materials.

I think carpet man, I mean Sam needs to to a bit more research before commentating on pricing.  RRP of the Hornby class 50 is in fact cheaper than the 00 version so don't see where he is coming from on this;  (prices taken direct from the Hornby website).

R30153 50044          £223.99 RRP Currently on offer at £148.99

TT3014M 50040      £167.99 RRP

As others have said, just because its smaller does not necessarily  mean cheaper. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

So the Class 50 was returned and seems to be running fine. They put the class 50 box into a box with foam chipping and then into a bigger box with foam around it so it was secure.

I went to change the couplings and a bit of plastic fell out from underneath, not sure what it is but it seems to be running ok still. Any ideas?

Note it fell from underneath when the loco was lifted off the track.

IMG_2704.jpeg

Edited by Tim Allen

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Stephen-1260829 said:

I am sure that everything will get resolved satifactorily.  Looking forward to you posting a  video of it on the rails.

Here you go, its pulling some era 4 mk1s as that's what was on the layout at the time.

Edited by Tim Allen
video issues, will re-upload later, done!
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tim Allen said:

So the Class 50 was returned and seems to be running fine. They put the class 50 box into a box with foam chipping and then into a bigger box with foam around it so it was secure.

I went to change the couplings and a bit of plastic fell out from underneath, not sure what it is but it seems to be running ok still. Any ideas?

Note it fell from underneath when the loco was lifted off the track.

IMG_2704.jpeg

No idea what the part is Tim but some, probably all, the underneath parts are fitted with double sided tape and one of mine has its fuel box loose.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Generic Hornby Username said:

At the 19:00 minute mark of the April TT:120 Q&A, Martyn answers a question on the Class 37. He mentions they are not yet at the point where they're deciding liveries for the Class 37. This indicates that the previously announced BR and EWS models might not be the ones that launch. We can likely expect as many as 2-3 versions to be available on the original release. Those might be the BR and EWS versions, but there also could be a variety of liveries we haven't heard about yet.

Unfortunately, we'll need to wait to find out!

I'd forgotten that. That might explain why the picture of the 3D render on page 24 of the new catalogue is a split headcode version in green - so maybe there will be a green one after all. That would go with the green Class 08 and the Era 5 steam locos.

Era 6 doesn't seem to make much sense at the moment given that there isn't anything else in Era 6 to go with it. Era 5 and also Eras 7/8 would seem better as there is already quite a lot available in those Eras and there is more in the pipeline.

Personally I'd like a sectorisation livery to go with the TTAs or the HAAs!

Edited by Porfuera
  • Like 2

Well the repaired Class 50 has been running fine all day. Had it pulling the Mk2 coaches and freight wagons. At one point it pulled 21 wagons with ease and no slipping which is something that the A1/A3 struggled to do. 

My Sir Edward Elgar arrived today and has so far been running perfectly despite the condition that it arrived in. I will be emailing Hornby about the state of items due to poor packaging.

IMG_2710.jpeg

IMG_2711.jpeg

IMG_2712.jpeg

IMG_2713.jpeg

IMG_2714.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tim Allen said:

Well the repaired Class 50 has been running fine all day. Had it pulling the Mk2 coaches and freight wagons. At one point it pulled 21 wagons with ease and no slipping which is something that the A1/A3 struggled to do. 

My Sir Edward Elgar arrived today and has so far been running perfectly despite the condition that it arrived in. I will be emailing Hornby about the state of items due to poor packaging.

Interestingly, my package arrived last week torn, as if someone had stabbed it with something blunt. But because it was double-wrapped and the inner package was well padded, nothing happened to the locomotive or the packaging.

Accordingly, I did not report it back to Hornby.

I would imagine this is a DPD issue, i have a lot delivered by DPD, not just from Hornby, and my daughter has lots of items delivered by them, not once have i ever had a parcel turn up like the items show in the picture. DPD have lots of distribution centers, is it a particular center maybe?

• Like 2

We have had a lot of stuff delivered recently by various companies in prep for a house move, and the odd one has had a ding in it which looked like damage by the corner of another parcel. Nothing much you can do about it but insist the courier takes a photo of it, not that I suppose they take any ongoing note of it. Fortunately in each case the content was well packed and no item damage occurred.

Packing the models in lots of bubble wrap does seem to ensure the bits that matter are protected but then putting loose in a bigger box is asking for the outer carton to get squashed. Cardboard can only do so much! 
It’s been mentioned before many times, the lack of a simple FRAGILE sticker or tape on the outer carton seems remiss of the contractor that packs the box. 

• Like 3

First time OOTB for my Leviathan (TXSM). What a beauty 😲

None of the reported shaft issues on my TableTop 🤞🏼 crawls so slowly on 1.

I do notice some speaker hiss when everything but the power is off, presumably normal? I'm new to both DCC and Sound.

Can't fault the auction site buy-it-now buying experience, cost, packaging, delivery and all.

Glad I got off the fence, might have to get some MK2's now, though there is something inside saying I wish they had earlier versions only because I like the look of the less plain roof of the pre air-con versions. It's a texture thing.

• Like 4

Thanks @Rallymatt didn't notice it on the A4's... But then again with those I didn't have my face quite as close to the speaker looking inside saying o.m.g there are seats with arm rests in there! 😂

As someone who has missed the development in the hobby over the last 30 years the level of detail on these is almost excessive.

4 hours ago, Andy Stewart said:

I would imagine this is a DPD issue, i have a lot delivered by DPD, not just from Hornby, and my daughter has lots of items delivered by them, not once have i ever had a parcel turn up like the items show in the picture. DPD have lots of distribution centers, is it a particular center maybe?

Had it had internal packaging then the box would not have lost rigidity. This is a packing issue. 

5 hours ago, Andy Stewart said:

No not just DPD, mine came via UPS and one was damaged ( contents were ok though).  I did email Hornby with photos of the damage carton so they are aware of the situation.  

I had an email from Rails of Sheffield on Thursday (6th) letting me know that my class 50 and MKII pre-order was in  but they were unable to take payment - my credit card has been reissued since the pre-order was placed.  I sorted this out (or so I thought)  I had a second email from Rails of Sheffield regarding 'unable to take payment' on Saturday afternoon.

So this morning I have contacted RoS again.. hopefully now all is okay and the will be able to ship Leviathan and the coaches (fingers crossed).

• Like 2

On 08/06/2024 at 20:48, Tim Allen said:

IMG_2712.jpeg

You’ve been really unlucky there Tim.  All of my Hornby packages from DPD have arrived damage free. I’ve always found DPD to be excellent, I’ve never had a squashed package with them.  Maybe your local depot is a bit of an unusual case?

Like others my class 50 did arrive in an oversize box with some empty space inside, so Hornby could do with adding more void filling but luckily mine had plenty of bubble wrap around the loco box so it was well cushioned despite the space.