New HM7K Decoder BT Firmware (v0.7) - to do, or not to do?

11 minutes ago, Pendragon Sailing said:

Quick question to those in the know.

What are the benefits (or disbenefits) of updating the BT Firmware to v0.7?

I have 42 decoders to update 😳 and clearly if there’s no advantage to doing so, it’s something I’d like to avoid 

Thoughts?

Generally when a new release of software is available it normally fixes bugs or improves something. So somewhere there should be a set of release notes that tell you what has been improved. I suppose a lot depends on what you use the HM7000 for?

30 minutes ago, Skelton Junction said:

Coincidentally or just a coincidence, since upgrading to v0.7 I’ve noticed an improved speed on decoder initial connection. They all light up blue in a couple of seconds rather than one by one. 

How many are u talking about? I’m not seeing the same as u with my 14 locos, mine connected quicker with 6.1 BT ,so I’m probably going to test a bit more, but might downgrade mine. 

18 minutes ago, Dodge1965 said:

How many are u talking about? I’m not seeing the same as u with my 14 locos, mine connected quicker with 6.1 BT ,so I’m probably going to test a bit more, but might downgrade mine. 

If they are all set to 'active' that will slow them down as the system cycles through looking for each of the active locos to make the connection. Set 5  or 6 to inactive and see if that helps.

FYI of my 38 decoders only 10 needed the update and I whipped through that fairly quickly with 12 loco set to active.

I have updated Blink Bonnie and noticed no difference (iPad). It has all worked well since I bought the Scotsman set earlier this year. I think I need to update my dongle and I will try that later.

If there are "under-the-hood" enhancements to the firmware I will gladly accept those.

6 hours ago, dBerriff said:

If there are "under-the-hood" enhancements to the firmware I will gladly accept those.

There are, but we have been asked not to detail them as they are for future development.

• Like 1

Out of interest (as I am failing to get some of my TXS decoders to update to the BT v0.7 firmware) If I am running DCC (I'm using a DCC-EX command station) do I need to update the B Firmware on the decoder?

Thanks in advance.

6 hours ago, Baz657 said:

Silly question time. Is it necessary (or worthwhile even) to run auto calibration again after upgrading to v0.7?

Good question. I’d considered that too, but in light of everything running so well post update I’ve not touched any other settings. 

A bluetooth update will not affect the motor running characteristics. Auto-cal should be a one time event per profile. Re-installing a profile will obviously over-write any auto-cal settings and it will need doing again, noting that usually it is only necessary for a non-Hornby loco or if a motor has been changed, e.g. DVD swap.

Updating to v0.7.0 is optional as the improvements are in support of future events as previously advised.

• Like 1

You unlink & delete the decoder from the app (if Bluetooth is unresponsive you will need to attempt this 3 times whereupon the app will delete it without a response from decoder.)

You then switch off track (or remove loco from track) & completely switch off your phone/tablet.  After waiting approx 30 secs, then turn everything back on (put loco back on track, if removed.)

In the app scan for decoders & it should appear as reset-able, select it & enter the reset code.

• Thanks 1

An Update.

I’ve now updated all 41 of my HM7K decoders with the new BT Firmware (v0.7). They took me a few days to do, between other jobs, but all done successfully with each decoder taking about 2-3 mins to complete. No noticeable difference in any decoder behaviours, but as @RAF96 has hinted, they’re now ready for future ‘enhancements’ 🤫.

I’ve also taken the time to update the Sound Profiles in most of my locos too, noting that v1.13 has recently been issued for most of the profiles.
I understand that the main improvement in this latest SPIROM version are that the CV19 corruption anomaly has been fixed.
Again, all updates were done successfully, taking between about 6-15 mins per decoder, depending on the size of the data files.

I’m now going for a lie down !  😳😮‍💨😵‍💫

• Like 2