Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

My latest additions is 4 Wrenn Presflo wagons 3 in Blue Circle Cement Yellow and 1 in Blue Circle Cement Grey.

Brought off ebay with no other bidders however I did I put my bids on late , I put a bid on a 5th wagon well in advance, at the time no other bidders but during the night 4 other bids of 50p increments were put on so I was out bid this morning, having lost some other bids by 50p or a £1 I am starting to feel I am being stalked. Are there any others who use ebay having the same experience?

Extremely unlikely for two very good reasons:

1. Automatic bidding means that if someone else places a MUCH higher bid, it will actually only top the next highest bid by 50p/£1.
  2. If others are ‘watching’ an item they will usually get an email from eBay warning them to ‘avoid missing out’ if someone places a bid.

However I certainly agree that when you have a run of missing out, paranoia is to be expected! grinning

My experience of eBay bidding is that a lot of people only show their hand at the very last moment. Lost count of how many times an item had no activity for days, then the last five minutes you can get 30 bidders. Even though I understand this is how things are done, I just lost interest in it, unless it’s something I really really want and can’t get anywhere else.

Don't even go by 'watchers' - these are more obvious.

Some are even covert and quite surreptitious - watching without registering interest.

If I have an interest I set a limit. I might set it several days before, I may do precisely as DRC indicated, bid within the last 5-6".

Al.

As above, don’t go off watchers. Some may be looking to see what an item sells for as they have one and want to know what they are likely to get for it. Others may look to get it at a low price and as soon as it gets above that they don’t bother unwatching. I have had several of my items with up to 20-odd watchers that have never received a bid.

I don’t bother bidding until the last five mins unless I will not have access at the selling time. Be aware of getting dragged along with the bidding frenzy, stuff can sell at way above what you can go in a shop and buy it new for. Set a limit and stick to it. There will always be another one along at some point unless it is an ultra rare item, and then it is likely to sell for a very silly price to someone with very deep pockets.

EBay isn’t what it was as so many chancers, criminals and downright idiots are on there now and eBay doesn’t deal with them as they should. If you know a good seller it’s worth adding them to your favourites, and don’t be scared of putting bad feedback where it is justly deserved. You are protecting other buyers from these people.

Anyone who has seen my entry on the "How do you play trains?" thread will have seen I run four general periods. Western Region diesels, (1), Western Region steam, (2), a mix of other diesels, (3), or other steam, (4). The last two categories just being other locos I happen to like. Recently I've gone a bit mad and acquired the following.

Hornby Class 25, (Cat.1). Hornby Class 2721 pannier tank and Hornby Saint David. (Cat.2). Lima D8900 diesel, Lima Class 59, Lima Class 20 and Hornby Class 29. (Cat.3) Wrenn Class R1, Mainline 4MT, Hornby Q1 and Hornby Ivatt Class 2. (Cat.4).

That really will have to do now,.......... unless something "special" comes along. wink

Over the last month I have added 3x Hornby Class 92s Milton, Elgar, and Charles Dickens, plus a Lima Class 92 Kipling and a Hornby Class 90.

I am looking at the possibility of making the pantographs operational on Elgar and Charles Dickens by linking the two pantograph together (like the Triang EM2) then a direct link to the ringfield motor like the Class 86, 90 and 91's but without the roof switch.

A rather splendid Class 4P 2-6-4 tank engine in LMS livery, weathered and with crew fitted. Bought as a non-runner for the princely sum of £26.00 + postage. Good old X03 motor with a bad connection to the commutator, a bit of soldering, cleaned and lubricated, zap the magnet back up, and hey presto, good as new. And replaced the broken coupling hooks.

I love to get an old 'un running again, immense satisfaction derived.

I got these three clockwork locos off an online auction site. I only bought them as the green top-tank was one of the few clockwork locos I didn’t have an example of. I already had a spare chassis so a bonus that all the mechanisms work and the badly painted blue one has donated a rear wheel and rod to the green one, now working perfectly. A shame the red on is missing a funnel and the rods, apart from that the body isn’t too bad and the mechanism works perfectly. I will probably dispose of both bodies and just add the mechanisms to my spares box, just happy to get the green top tank out of this low-priced lot.

forum_image_61b738af9f47e.thumb.png.b531f86fec3e4233e0434521d9b77d9c.png

It is satisfying that you donot have to spend hundreds of pounds on a Hornby locomotive for my collection. Found this one, it has alluded me for years so quite rare.

It is R099, Holden tank, with running number '99'. This was made by Hornby for inclusion in the R792 train set, not available as an individual loco. Most if not all sent to Ireland.The goods wagons which also appear in set are also classed as very rare. Made in 1979 so made in UK.There is a more common version with '9' running number, that one is made in China.

forum_image_61b9e17740b8f.thumb.png.e41de1aa3da5aa8717fa7ef4d698be07.png

forum_image_61b9e17f330b2.thumb.png.49e2b49112343ead7f85cb285bbc95b0.png

Hi Engine shed 1, is the catalogue number on the box R2038C, if so it was a limited edition of only 250 made for Rails. They were 4 in the set numbered R2038A to R2038D. As they were produced in 1997 they are the old B17 models and not the newer 2012 offerings. As to rarity, in my Opinion quite difficult to find, a full set, almost impossible.

Regards

On the 9th December I mentioned a few loco's I had bought and finished off by saying, "That really will have to do now,............ unless something "special" comes along. wink"

Well, it did!

forum_image_61c080cf78908.thumb.png.f8dc28303390173ea1987ed02e429732.png

I wanted one of these ever since I was given by older cousin's railway stuff. (He wasn't interested in trains,- philistine!) Amongst his bits and pieces was a Tri-ang American style caboose and I wanted a Davey Crockett to pull it. It goes with absolutely nothing I else I have, but is in great condition and runs superbly. It looks quite good with the caboose, but really must be the true meaning of "playing with trains" rather than operating a model railway. smiley

forum_image_61c080d3d3a94.thumb.png.1029748d9c43c98ccb054edf0ff389cd.png

@tony 57 "Just out of interest is it the smoking or the non smoking version of Davy Crockett?"

Until today I hadn't taken the body off. I just quickly tested it when it arrived and took the photo's. I had a good look at it today and applied a little oil to the felt pads. It is fitted with a smoke unit, a seuthe type, not the "syncrosmoke," (not sure if I've spelled that right), found on other types like the earlier 57XX Pannier Tanks and B12's. It's still all wired up, but in my humble opinion, it doesn't look too pretty. I've not seen one before so don't really know what they should look like after use. I'll get a picture of it on here within the next couple of days and see what you think.

I must admit, until I read your post I didn't realise a smoking version was made! Thanks.