What do you want as kits in 2019?

Ratch

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to be for me a couple of WW2 icons to go with the brilliant new tools from the same era that have been released recently:-

A 1/72 B29 Superfortress, how good would this look on the shelf with the same scale B17 from last year, with a C47 Skytrain in the middle................ &

A 1/48 Mitsubishi Zero, which would make a fantastic "Dogfight Doubles" partner for either of the two American reecent releases,the P51 Mustang or P40 Warhawk.................

Or one from cold war era:- (which has been mentioned by other posters)

A 1/72 Blackburn Buccaneer, would make a great pairing as an Ark Royal display with the superb RN Phantom Airfix gave us recently.

What I'd like to see from Airfix in the near future (all new tooling):

1/72

- Walrus (downsized from their 1/48 kit)

- Arado Ar 196

- Se5a or Camel

- HP Hampden

- Ju88

1/24

- new tool Spitfire Mk IX

1/350

- HMS Queen Elizabeth/Prince of Wales and later on 1/700 version of same.

For me, here are a few things I would love to see Airfix release:

-New Tool 1/72

1) Handley Page Hampden

2) Bristol Beaufort

3) Westland Lysander

4) RAF ground equipment kit with Matador Tanker, Austin K2 Ambulance, Cole Crane, Etc. [Please no 1/76 posing as 1/72 ]

-Add ons in a few 1/72 new tool kits to create new kits

1) Swordfish Mk. II and III [Adding new bottom wings and ASW equipment/weaponry like rockets, radar, depth charges, and FIDO.

2) Gloster Sea Gladiator [Add a conversion sprew for the the dingy]

3) Hurricane Mk. I Mid/Late [Add the metal wing in place of the fabric wing]

4) Bristol Beaufighter Mk. IF [straight Tail Planes, Radar, Etc]

In the end though, thanks for all of the fantastic kits you have been providing us. The efforts you all are making to create high quality, well researched kits is appreciated. Keep up the good work!

JC Holman

Alexandria, VA USA

I am not certain the RAF used Austin K2 ambulances. They were mainly Army issue, as far as I can find, so I'd like to put in a vote for the Albion AM463 ambulance instead!  😉

I can't speak for all the varieties of ground equipment used in England versus TAF on the continent, but Hendon has/had this Austin K2 on display: http://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=3319

There are some IWM images that appear to show K2's on both RAF and USAAF stations in England: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:World_War_II_ground_equipment_and_vehicles_of_the_RAF

Either way, more 1/72 RAF ground equipment would be appreciated.

~John~

Either way, more 1/72 RAF ground equipment would be appreciated.

Agreed. I wasn't trying to score points, by the way. RAF mechanical transport of the 1930s and 1940s is a particular interest to me, as I like to try and get authentic vehicles to use as "set dressing" on small dioramas and for photography of my aircraft models.

I understand the RAF adopted the Army K2 ambulance after D-Day in 1944 when it was found their standard Fordson and Albion heavy ambulances were simply too much for the Normandy lanes. As the type was long-lived in military service it makes sense it appears in various museums and collections now.

Incidentally, this is the Albion ambulance I'd love to see. I can't fathom why Airfix hasn't reproduced the 3-point refueller in 1/72nd, either! For smaller airfields, it might be possible to scratch build an ambulance back on to the Standard Tilly in the Bomber Resupply set.

I've built Airfix 1/350 scale Type 45 destroyer, HMS Illustrious aircraft carrier and HMS Trafalgar submarine. I've also built WW1 (Dreadnought) & WW2 (Hood & Belfast) 1/350 scale battleships (other manufacurer) and have a 1/350 scale WW2 Aircraft Carrier (Ark Royal) yet to build (other manufacturer). The only things I can't find to complete the display are WW1 & WW2 1/350 scale British Navy submarines. Plenty of German & Japanese Navy models are available from a number of different manufacturers, but NO British 1/350 scale submarines. Very slim chance of this happening, but there's always hope that Airfix might consider filling this neglected space in the model market.

I've built Airfix 1/350 scale Type 45 destroyer, HMS Illustrious aircraft carrier and HMS Trafalgar submarine. I've also built WW1 (Dreadnought) & WW2 (Hood & Belfast) 1/350 scale battleships (other manufacurer) and have a 1/350 scale WW2 Aircraft Carrier (Ark Royal) yet to build (other manufacturer). The only things I can't find to complete the display are WW1 & WW2 1/350 scale British Navy submarines. Plenty of German & Japanese Navy models are available from a number of different manufacturers, but NO British 1/350 scale submarines. Very slim chance of this happening, but there's always hope that Airfix might consider filling this neglected space in the model market.

MikroMir do a couple of early RN subs in1/350, k-class and m-class plus one or two others...

MikroMir do a couple of early RN subs in1/350, k-class and m-class plus one or two others...

That's great, thanks for the information RussellE. There are three MikroMir RN sub models available via the Hannant website. Your help is much appeciated