What do you want as kits in 2019?

Ratch

Westland Whirlwind 1/72 scale fighter/bomber. I know that Special Hobbies do one as does Pavla, but they're incredibly expensive and I gather from a friend who built the Airfix one (Starter set A50096) that it was a really well produced kit and all the parts fitted, unlike the SH version which was apparently a nightmare. I'm trying to build all the RAF aircraft that were flown from RAF Warmwell during WW2, so the Whirlwind - as flown by 263 Squadron (Code HE- ) in 1942 and again in 1943 would be a great addition.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would like a 1/48th Puma to add to my Op Banner lineup , multiple boxing possibilities, HC.1 early plus French ALAT schemes, HC.1 upgrade with wide chord blades , filters and defensive fit. Oversea versions, German Bundesgreshutz , Argentinian , French modern schemes. HC.2 with up to date engine exhausts, plating on rear of the rotor housing and up to date DAS fit.

/media/tinymce_upload/496889703c83c3a4ba302593b3150981.JPG

How about bringing back the car models , Mini, Sunbeam Rapier, BMC 1100 and so on. 

Exactly BristolBill! Or even better, some new car kits - perhaps British classic subjects like the Austin Healey 100/4, MGA, MGC GTS, Jaguar C or D Type, Morris Minor Traveller, MG RV8, Sunbeam Tiger, Jensen Interceptor, Lotus Elan, Morgan Plus Eight, Triumph Spitfire and GT6, TR5, TR6, Mini Traveller, Ford Cortina....

My wish list mainly revolves around my main 1:72nd scale WW2 aircraft. And without being too greedy I would start with ........

Fairey Battle

Handley Page Hampden 

Bristol Beaufort

Junkers Ju86D

Junkers Ju88

Moving onto my secondary interest of Cold War/Modern RAF jets also in 1:72nd scale ...............

Avro Vulcan

Hawker Hunter

Hawker Sea Hawk

BAC Jaguar

BAC Buccaneer

De  Havilland Sea Venom

Panavia Tornado

Just a few for Airfix to consider???

• 3 weeks later...

1/72 Consolidated B-24H Liberator. New tool with Ford nose.

There is no Ford nose Liberator available, the old Airfis B-24J is sadly dated and awfully inaccurate, the Hasegawa is horribly expensive and unavailable, and the Academy kit has its problems.

We need a new, affordable and accurate Ford Nose B-24H.

A new 1/72 Spitfire Vbc are long overdue. Also from WW2 (1/72) a Battle of Britain era Ju-88A1 (It's been mentioned a few times here Mr. Airfix!), Beaufighter Mk.1.

Moving on to the Cold War, the MiG-15 & MiG-21 are very well catered for in 1/72 but there is an obvious gap in the market with no modern tooled MiG-17 or MiG-19, both very important early jet types with loads of colour options. Also needed are a Mirage IIICE, F-4CD Phantom whilst the old tool Buccaneer, Puma & Vulcan really are past their best nowadays. 

I would love to see the Northrop F-5 family tooled by Airfix in 1/72 scale, F-5ABEF. Absolutely loads of camo options out there yet only the old ESCI kit does the AB any justice whilst the Italeri F-5E is very good it has raised panel lines and only the platypus nose cone. 

I love to see some more 1/24 jets.  Airfix led the way in the early 1970s with the introduction of the 1/24 'Superkits' the Spitfire and the 109 - I've still got both of mine from the original releases - and then more recently they released the Mosquito and the Typhoon, both of which are in my stash. And of course not forgetting the Harrier and Sea Harrier.  But I'd love to see Airfix build on these with some more classic British jets in 1/24.  Given they have the cad plans for the Phantom FG1 and FGR2 either would be a good place to start.  But equally, a Buccaneer, Lightning, Hunter or even a Sea Vixen in 1/24 would be just awesome !  I can but dream.............

I'd love to see a 1/72 Bristol Beaufighter Mk2 (Merlins) ideally the night fighter my father flew in - NG-G of 604 Squadron.

Military (all 1/76)

New Tool SdKfz 234 series

SdKfz 231

SdKfz 250 early and late series

SdKfz 251 early and late series

Valentine tank and Archer maybe even scissors bridge?

New tool PzIV later models with schurtzen bazooka plates

Steyr and Horch light/medium cars

New tool M3 medium tank with both Grant and Lee turrets

Daimler armoured car and Dingo scout car as a pair

CMP trucks

Then there are lots more Russian, French, Italian, American vehicles too.

I would love to see a new Spitfire in 124; if it was carefully engineered, it would be possible to have early and late mark Merlin engined aircraft AND Griffon engined machines, especially if the high back / low back fuselage was included as a n option. If the basic fuselage is right, it's not too much of a stretch to do it like Joe Smith and Supermarine did .

or a 124th scale  Vought Corsair Grumman Hellcat or Wildcat or even Tigercat!= big seller in the USA, especially. 

or a 124th scale Gloucester Gladiator, Bristol Beaufighter, Fairey Firefly Mk V, Hawker Sea Fury, Bolton Paul Defiant

Or a 124 Bf 110; that would be very cool!

That should keep the folks busy!

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

I would love to see a new Spitfire in 124; if it was carefully engineered, it would be possible to have early and late mark Merlin engined aircraft AND Griffon engined machines, especially if the high back / low back fuselage was included as a n option. If the basic fuselage is right, it's not too much of a stretch to do it like Joe Smith and Supermarine did .

or a 124th scale  Vought Corsair Grumman Hellcat or Wildcat or even Tigercat!= big seller in the USA, especially. 

or a 124th scale Gloucester Gladiator, Bristol Beaufighter, Fairey Firefly Mk V, Hawker Sea Fury, Bolton Paul Defiant

Or a 124 Bf 110; that would be very cool!

That should keep the folks busy!

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

YES, YES and YES to a new tooled Spitfire: Many variants, one tool! 😎

Would be great to see one of the Vought Corsair Grumman Hellcat or Wildcat in the big boy scale as well! 😆

• 2 weeks later...

Would like to see some more RAAF and RAN kits, including:

• 1/72 RAAF Spitfire MkVIII
  • 1/72 RAAF Typhoon Mk1b
  • 1/72 RAAF Tomahawk
  • 1/72 RAAF Beaufighter (wartime and post war)
  • 1/72 RAN Firefly
  • 1/72 Lysander
  • 1/72 RAAF Dakota

Would also like to see a 1/76 Matilda and a Kingforce Churchill Mk III

Have probably mentioned these before, but hey, it's worth mentioning again that these could do with new tools in 1/72

Yak 3, Yak 9, Ju88, Walrus, Arado Ar196, Metal wing Hurricane, HP Hampden, Short Stirling, HP Halifax 😆

• 2 weeks later...

I would like a 1/72 new tool walrus, 1/24 bleriot experimental 2,a,c(early, skids no sump, late no skid,sump ) 1/24 fokker ei,eii,eiii,eiv, fe2b 1,72, early be2 1/72, some interesting early ww1 aircraft like an albatros ciii and etritch taube, and some ww1 ground crew but for less than other companys. 1/24 be2 and the fokker should be around 35/45 pound mark to make it affordable.

Don't know if anyone's mentioned this already, but what about 1/48 choppers?

Enamoured as I am with my Belcher Bits conversions to retrofit my Airfix Lynxes into HAS.2/3s, it would be lovely for Airfix to release that version thenselves, not least because so many countries used it.  And of course we're coming up to the 40th Anniversary of the Falklands War, where both sides used it.

As well as the Lynx though, there's no such thing as a 1/48 Puma!  Surely that's a huge gap in the market that could be filled by a wonderful new Airfix tooling.  From the original baseline SA 330 (rudimentarily covered by Heller in 1/50) right through to the latest Super Pumas, nobody is doing them in 1/48.

Admittedly, the Gazelle has been covered by Fujimi and Heller, but those kits are pretty long in the tooth now and it would be very nice to have a state-of-the-art 1/48 kit.  An A-109 would come in handy too.

And while you're at it, how about a lovely new Scout/Wasp?  The Fujimi Wasp is well past its prime, and wasn't much cop to start with, and yet they're changing hands for 30 or 40 of your Earth pounds on eBay.  Again, they're both Falklands veterans, as is the Gazelle.

And if we're talking Falklands, some 1980s British soldiers in 1/48 would be a boon as, agan, you can't get them anywhere else.

Am I wasting my time asking for a 1/48 Skyvan or Unimog S404?  Thought so.  Ho hum.

I was amused to see the Tiger 1 tank is still in the 2018 catalogue, I assume this is still the nineteen sixties version that has risen from the dead more times than Captain Scarlet ! I'm sure someone at  Airfix is keeping it going as a bet.

Seriously though, if this old warhorse can keep going why can't some of the others. I'd like to see the Scimitar tank kit finally updated from the prototype before the real thing finally retires from service after nearly fifty years! I've said before on the forum how disappointing it is that the main UK model manufacturer does not produce more British Army kits. Things don't seem to be changing unfortunately.

Couldn't agree more! And how about one in 1/48 too?

Would love to see the Wallace and Gromits kits re-issued! They're as rare as hens teeth now! 🫨

Licencing issues? Well, except for the A35 van obviously.

Possibly, but still would be nice. Maybe under the Vintage series? 😉