Hobbycraft

I just came back from Hobbycraft wherethe paint shelves were almost empty and there was a notice up saying that through no fault of their own they would no longer be stocking Airfix/Humbrol products. When I asked why they were not going to stock these leading brands I was told they were no longer leading brands. Hobbycraft is going to loose a lot of modeler's business.

I would hazard a guess that the person you spoke to probably didn't have a clue. I frequently visit my local Hobbycraft and my impression is Airfix sell more than Tamiya and Revell (perhaps equal to Revell). It may be more down to business decisions like profit margins and how much bulk discounts they can screw out of each company. Certainly I've purchased more Airfix than any other brand there.

Nice to see Hobbycraft supporting UK companies!!

There's no onus on them to support UK companies, as a business they're only really interested in profit and loss. Airfix T's & C's were recently changed, if they didn't suit then Hobbycraft were perfectly at liberty to say 'thanks but no thanks'.

• 5 months later...
I would hazard a guess that the person you spoke to probably didn't have a clue. I frequently visit my local Hobbycraft and my impression is Airfix sell more than Tamiya and Revell (perhaps equal to Revell). It may be more down to business decisions like profit margins and how much bulk discounts they can screw out of each company. Certainly I've purchased more Airfix than any other brand there.

I have just returned from a visit to Hobbycraft and the only Airfix/ Humbrol products on display were two model kits which were being cleared and a few Humbrol enamel paints I spoke to the Manageress who probably does "have a clue" and she told me the problem was more that Airfix seem to becoming more interested in their online business. I therefore am of the opinion from many years experience that Airfix have changed and tightened up their pricing strategy and conditions to multiples and Hobbycraft and perhaps some others I don't know about have refused to accept them. You may very well see in the future as happens regularly, when business starts to become effected either one party gives in or more likely they come to a compromise. If what I have been told is true I can see Airfix being the loser as I like many other make spontaneous buys or want to actually handle a box.

My Hobbycraft used to have a large, healthy model area with Hornby trains as well as kit from Tamiya, Revell and Airfix along with Woodland Scenics and other brand accessories. It is now almost devoid of kits. That says to me that Hobbycraft are concentrating on ladies craft type merchandise, which dominates my local store. I sometimes pop in for acrylic paints (for my dioramas), but there is little else to attract my custom.

I have just retired and I am looking forward to reviving a long forgotten hobby and so I am very disappointed to see that Hobbycraft are not stocking Airfix and Humbrol products any longer. "Distribution issues' was the excuse given at the checkout. If this is the case then it seems its easier to import Revell kits from China than Airfix kits from India (I believe Humbrol paints are made by Rustins in the UK).

Although I have been impressed by the Airfix mail order experience, it would be a shame not to be able to handle the boxes before buying. It was always a thrill to walk into a model shop and wonder which of Roy Cross's illustrations would induce me to make my next purchase.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hobbycraft in Newtownabbey and Belfast keep certain acrylic paints which come in a blue 'box'. They are the only places in Northern Ireland I can get those paints
I get my Humbrol paints in the model shop in Belfast

Just flew back from Belfast and had a few hours to kill before catching the bus to the airport and I couldn't find a model shop. Have to return soon so any pointers?

• 1 year later...

just been looking at hobby craft web site and they now have airfix back in stock only listing 27 items but its a start, looks like they have sorted there differences out, nothing for humbrol yet hopefully they will start to stock these again

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just a heads up, Hobbycraft currently have 25% off Airfix kits as well as a £5 off a £15 spend. Free click and collect too if there is a store near you!

You could get the Austin K2/Y for a shade over £20. 

• Thanks 1