HM7000-6

Hi, I'm fairly new to the hobby and want to go completely with HM7000.  I have an 08 and a back-ordered HM7000-6.

Just wondering how long they are likely to be, It's hard getting a firm answer from my local supplier.

Anyone got one in stock?

Tim

@Tim-1330659 - the 6pin HM7k decoder is (as far as anyone can tell) still in development/production.

According to the website current ETA is end of September - however estimates can obviously be subject to unforeseen change/delays.

So nobody is going to have stock for a while yet.

Morning Tim

You’re not the only one longing for HM7k with the 08! But it’s definitely going to be a while. I keep hoping that Hornby will spring a nice surprise and get them in stock early, but from RAFs comment we can’t expect any such miracles!

What's the problem with the 08? I'm assuming it's the Class 08 being referred to, in which case an 8 pin full TXS sound decoder fits easily, plus stay alive.

Or is the OP on TT120, in which case I can't comment.

Edited by Brew Man

Just now, Brew Man said:

What's the problem with the 08? I'm assuming it's the Class 08 being referred to, in which case an 8 pin full TXS sound decoder fits easily, plus stay alive.

Not if it's the TT 08 - the changes necessary to fit an 8-pin sound decoder into that would defeat many of us.

I spoke to George (the HM7000 guru) at Rails on Friday. It's the world-wide chip shortage that isn't helping the delay. If you're waiting for the bluetooth chip (DCC is possible with standard chips) the current situation suggests it's going to be close to the year end when they're available in the shops, at the earliest.

It's annoying to me as I'm solely HM7000 and, apart from running in using DC when it first arrived, my Class 08 is still in the box. I'll probably not be able to use it properly until after the warranty either runs out, or is close to it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I was lucky enough to have a Hornby Select controller from an old OO DC set, which I've been able to use my 08 with, having bought a standard DCC 6-pin chip. It's still not ideal to have 

Sadly, without an existing Select or Elite, it gets expensive. While pre-loved Selects are available online for £40-60, by the time you've added a decoder for £30 and then considered a dongle or replacing the stand-in 6-pin with an HM7000 6-pin when it becomes available, you're looking at £100+

12 minutes ago, Baz657 said:

It's annoying to me as I'm solely HM7000 and, apart from running in using DC when it first arrived, my Class 08 is still in the box. I'll probably not be able to use it properly until after the warranty either runs out, or is close to it.

I was in the same boat, but decided to fork out for an Elite controller as I struggled a little with the HM7000 App on my iPad. I put a Gaugemaster Ruby decoder in my TT:120 08 which works fine. However, I’m also going to try the legacy dongle with the Elite as I now have quite a few DCC point motors which require a fair amount of knob twiddling on the Elite!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew-372848 said:

....now have quite a few DCC point motors which require a fair amount of knob twiddling on the Elite!

Have you thought about RailMaster or TGG (TGG Info)? Does make life easier to control from a PC/Laptop.

11 minutes ago, Andrew-372848 said:

I was in the same boat, but decided to fork out for an Elite controller as I struggled a little with the HM7000 App on my iPad. I put a Gaugemaster Ruby decoder in my TT:120 08 which works fine. However, I’m also going to try the legacy dongle with the Elite as I now have quite a few DCC point motors which require a fair amount of knob twiddling on the Elite!

Dongle doesn't cater for legacy point operation from the app yet, but it will later on.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, gilbo2 said:

Have you thought about RailMaster or TGG (TGG Info)? Does make life easier to control from a PC/Laptop.

I did have a look at RailMaster. However, I don’t have any Windows machines and attempted to install it on a VM on my Mac (desktop). It appeared to be working, but did lose comms with the Elite. I wasn’t too impressed with the interface, a bit last century! 

5 minutes ago, Andrew-372848 said:

I did have a look at RailMaster. However, I don’t have any Windows machines and attempted to install it on a VM on my Mac (desktop). It appeared to be working, but did lose comms with the Elite. I wasn’t too impressed with the interface, a bit last century! 

Yes, a Windows machine is needed, not sure if TGG would work with a VM on a Mac. @96RAF ?

6 minutes ago, Fishmanoz said:

Posted above only 6 minutes ago and already I cannot edit it to add this applies to fitting an HM7000-N18TXS plus Power Bank to a TT:120 08. 

Ridiculous!

It is probably the 15 minute window. The time is measured from when you entered the first post to the end of the edit.

Yes, it’s the TWW method and very fiddly including grinding out the inside of the body so the decoder fits across it, removing the upper motor mounting and removing internal cab detail to fit the PB which also needs its shrink wrap removed. Not to mention fine soldering to connect the decoder and the various lights included. Assuming you want to go that far. 

Edited by Fishmanoz

21 hours ago, Andrew-372848 said:

If I have read your post correctly, you are hoping to use the legacy Dongle to operate your points?  The HM7000 App does not yet enable you to operate Points.  I have many Points on my layout but I use RailMaster to operate them, which is a simple mouse click on the corresponding Point.

1 hour ago, RDS said:

If I have read your post correctly, you are hoping to use the legacy Dongle to operate your points?  The HM7000 App does not yet enable you to operate Points.  I have many Points on my layout but I use RailMaster to operate them, which is a simple mouse click on the corresponding Point.

To expand on my post yesterday about operating legacy points from the app using the dongle. What I said stands, but if you need to operate points now via the app then you have to use the HM6010 module, which is the bluetooth enabled equivalent of the legacy R8247 v2.0.