Hornby Advent Calendar

Alessio

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 4 of the advent calendar:

Social media competition. Take a photo of yourself in a Christmas jumper and either Tweet or Facebook Hornby the photo. Best one wins £100 voucher for hornby.com. Ends on 08/12/2015. ;)

Hmmm, I live in tropical Far North Queensland, Australia. It's been 30+ deg. celsius for a few weeks now. Where would I get a Christmas jumper from? Not that I've ever won anything but I must agree with another forum member and ask what has this got to do with Hornby products?

It's a bit of fun, you know fun. More to the point, what have Hornby products got to do with Advent Calendars. 

I don't have a Christmas jumper and I live in England so I won't be taking part either. It doesn't matter, it's not mandatory. Hornby won't be removing you from the forum and taking away your track. They're trying to invoke a bit of C

Social media competition. Take a photo of yourself in a Christmas jumper and either Tweet or Facebook Hornby the photo. Best one wins £100 voucher for hornby.com. Ends on 08/12/2015. ;)

Hmmm, I live in tropical Far North Queensland, Australia. It's been 30+ deg. celsius for a few weeks now. Where would I get a Christmas jumper from? Not that I've ever won anything but I must agree with another forum member and ask what has this got to do with Hornby products?

It's a bit of fun, you know fun. More to the point, what have Hornby products got to do with Advent Calendars. 

I don't have a Christmas jumper and I live in England so I won't be taking part either. It doesn't matter, it's not mandatory. Hornby won't be removing you from the forum and taking away your track. They're trying to invoke a bit of Christmas spirit. Good grief. 

Hi choralc

They say they are trying something different this year.

Looking forward to seeing the photos of all the regular posters, no moaning please LOL

Hope they get a good response. 

We hope so WTD

I won't be doing it though. Other than a couple of forums thats it for me.

I don't do social media at all. Businesses use it to keep their name out there and promote items, idiots use it to talk rubbish.

PJ

Looking forward to seeing the photos of all the regular posters, no moaning please LOL

We hope so WTD

I don't do social media at all. Businesses use it to keep their name out there and promote items, idiots use it to talk rubbish.

PJ

While I agree with PART o that PJ I cannot agree with it all. Yes businesses take advantage of it, that's down to 'marketing' companies and employees who have nothing better to do with their jobs or lives.

Some idiots DO talk rubbish onit and some just waste time, ours and theirs.

However, I use it mainly because it was the ONLY way to find TWO families I grew up alongside 30+ years ago and now enjoy the same friendships as I did then with them. Any other search would cost. SWMBO obeyed went on to stay in touch with some family who moved away rather than use expensive mobile texts and snail mail, not forgetting email which can sometimes take too long to receive and respond to if you don't keep checking. So I set up my wife's account and had no intention to go on myself. When I saw the facility to 'tap' (correct word could be misconstrued!) my wife I set up an account for myself with no intention to use it.

After a while attempting to find one person and managing at the THIRD attempt on there I suddenly, through him, another long lost friend got in touch as he was friends with the person I was looking for (if you follow that :-) ).

Since then we've done loads of stuff together and have thoroughly enjoyed being back in touch one and all! I still only use FB to stay in touch with distant family and friends but no more. The other social media is a waste of space really. FB has its moments too.

So slamming it out of the way isn't really the thing to do unless it is tried and tested. If you have no need of it then fine. To be honest, if FB stopped tomorrow it wouldn't beother me at all. I have all the contacts and numbers etc I ever need so wouldn't miss it.

The Xmas jumper compo...good luck if you enter. I don't have a jumper to use but wouldn't open FB to this anyway... it's a fun to do  so if pics are made available for us to see we may be able to have a laugh! Xmas is for fun... :-)

On the subject of fun... whilst many of us read posts on here that are meant to be tongue in cheek it seems a couple of us are moaning because they don't get it. Accusing others of being miserable about prizes is a tad off. So what if they have a little whinge. I bet you do at stuff we wouldn't moan about. It's called life. It happens.

What is difficult is for EVERYONE who reads a post like that to be able to undestand its context as it is written... and so some will take the words quite literally and think we are moaning. I attempt to use smilies to show the humourous edge but even that doesn't work sometimes.

There is nothing wrong at having a little poke at Hornby or anyone else if it isn't derogatory or offensive. I hope none of my posts come across like that... if anyone has read them as being a bit of a moan I apologise... though I don't see why I should really. Never mind...

Look, it's about Christmas and having fun... a little jibe means no harm so let those who want to do it just get on with it. Ignore the post if needs be and move on. Good grief... if we all had the same sense of humour and same idealistic way of thinking we would all be locked up for being boring and probably end up on some form of medication for life. Though how that would be administered is somewhat a joke too if we were all the same... how would we know anything? Who would be the person to make those decisions? Who would be the first to receive the pills? If we're all the same... doesn't bare thinking about... :-)

Hmmm, I live in tropical Far North Queensland, Australia. It's been 30+ deg. celsius for a few weeks now. Where would I get a Christmas jumper from?

Hi choralc

PJ, it definitely is.

dgilbert2 has the long handle on it by thinking outside of the box. Definitely a way of seeing what the long-term/well-known/nefarious among you look like :)

WTD, good grief would be seeing me as red as a lobster in my singlet and undies as that dress is closest to my Christmas clobber! Definitely no Christmas cheer in that. Some might be thinking of a white Christmas but folks where I live are dreaming of a wet one preferably with no strong winds attached :)

We hope so WTD

PJ

While I agree with PART o that PJ I cannot agree with it all. Yes businesses take advantage of it, that's down to 'marketing' companies and employees who have nothing better to do with their jobs or lives.

Some idiots DO talk rubbish onit and some just waste time, ours and theirs.

However, I use it mainly because it was the ONLY way to find TWO families I grew up alongside 30+ years ago and now enjoy the same friendships as I did then with them. Any other search would cost. SWMBO obeyed went on to stay in touch with some family who moved away rather than use expensive mobile texts and snail mail, not forgetting email which can sometimes take too long to receive and respond to if you don't keep checking. So I set up my wife's account and had no intention to go on myself. When I saw the facility to 'tap' (correct word could be misconstrued!) my wife I set up an account for myself with no intention to use it.

After a while attempting to find one person and managing at the THIRD attempt on there I suddenly, through him, another long lost friend got in touch as he was friends with the person I was looking for (if you follow that :-) ).

Since then we've done loads of stuff together and have thoroughly enjoyed being back in touch one and all! I still only use FB to stay in touch with distant family and friends but no more. The other social media is a waste of space really. FB has its moments too.

So slamming it out of the way isn't really the thing to do unless it is tried and tested. If you have no need of it then fine. To be honest, if FB stopped tomorrow it wouldn't beother me at all. I have all the contacts and numbers etc I ever need so wouldn't miss it.

The Xmas jumper compo...good luck if you enter. I don't have a jumper to use but wouldn't open FB to this anyway... it's a fun to do  so if pics are made available for us to see we may be able to have a laugh! Xmas is for fun... :-)

Hi AC

I totally understand, we used it when in business, the company that purchased our business use it more.

I am aware it has its good sides but, like so much on the Internet they are engulfed by things I certainly do not want to be part of. It is a personal choice, I know I am not on my own but, as for me I won't give it time of day.

Good luck to those who take part in the fun.

PJ

I don't do Facebook, Twitter, bubble, donkey or whatever. Just this and the Modelrailwayforum. 

That's me too WTD.

I do this RMWeb forum and occassionally ModelRailForum and play trains.

But we are all different and these facilities do have some good parts.

The problem for me is, not just the things some people talk about, it is also the amount of unwanted emails they send out, a total pain! They can also track what websites you view over a three month period. I have no concerns of that except why should they be able to do this. Another reason I chose not to use any of the sicial media facilities.

PJ

Hmmm, I live in tropical Far North Queensland, Australia. It's been 30+ deg. celsius for a few weeks now. Where would I get a Christmas jumper from?

Hi choralc

PJ, it definitely is.

dgilbert2 has the long handle on it by thinking outside of the box. Definitely a way of seeing what the long-term/well-known/nefarious among you look like :)

WTD, good grief would be seeing me as red as a lobster in my singlet and undies as that dress is closest to my Christmas clobber! Definitely no Christmas cheer in that. Some might be thinking of a white Christmas but folks where I live are dreaming of a wet one preferably with no strong winds attached :)

Good grief indeed. We do not want to see your undies. And do not want any strong winds!

White Christmas is the western world thing, or certainly northern hemisphere. I guess if not raining you may have a BBQ out. 

PJ

Hi choralc

PJ, it definitely is.

Good grief indeed. We do not want to see your undies. And do not want any strong winds!

White Christmas is the western world thing, or certainly northern hemisphere. I guess if not raining you may have a BBQ out. 

PJ

BBQ? It's so hot that if you stand in the middle of the yard and turn slowly while basting yourself you'd be done nicely within two hours :)

Hi choralc

PJ, it definitely is.

PJ

BBQ? It's so hot that if you stand in the middle of the yard and turn slowly while basting yourself you'd be done nicely within two hours :)

Wow and yesterday morning we had frost!  The start of things to come I think. Brrrrrrrrrrr

Management have obviously been upset with comments on here about the Advent Calendar as it doesnt come up any more.  I tried at just after midnight and again throughout today but all  I can see is a small plate of rotating chocolate fingers:)

Interested to see comments on day 1 offer of desk top page. Yes I was surprised at first then I thought how do you top the offers at September's factory sale ( by a fluke I was in East Kent that week so was fortunate to be able to go), the ' last chance to buy' collection that has been recently on offer & finally the 'Black Friday' offers which were brilliant. Alas my savings took a hit but I am still looking!!! Incidentally we are on day 4 and does anyone know where the advent calender has gone?

Management have obviously been upset with comments on here about the Advent Calendar as it doesnt come up any more.  I tried at just after midnight and again throughout today but all  I can see is a small plate of rotating chocolate fingers:)

You still getting the chocolate fingers sultan? Working OK for me. 

Actually  chocolate fingers would be a good prize. 

The advent is still there and been there all day. You might like to clear the cache of your browser by going through its options and deleting everything like Temporary Internet Files folder content and more. Each browser has its own way of getting to these settings so please do search for how to empty browser cache and temp files for IE or Firefox etc.

Then the next thing that may stop you downloading new pages is a piece of spy/malware on your system. Just because the system appears to be stable, fast and can run a marathon and make a cup of tea at the same time dosn't mean there isn't anything on it. Spybot, Malwarebytes and any freebie AV product. Your firewall should have little influence if any at all on what is downloaded from a friendly page like the advent one for example so no fears there just in case anyone says it can.

For security purposes you are better changing the settings in your browser to delete anything like its own temporary files when you close the browser. Cookies can be left on your system as these absolutely harmless and are way too small for malicious code to be attached tothem... they are only 4kb in size at most - which is like a needle in a haystack in size terms nowadays.

Archived