Hornby Advent Calendar

Alessio

I really like the idea of winning £100 of vouchers for the site. It's a great business decision for Hornby too - if I were to win, I'd be inclined to put some of my own money to that £100 and possibly pick up a loco, or use it + some more of my own money for a rake of coaches or similar - so even though they've given away £100, they'd have actually persuaded me to spend money I wouldn't otherwise have spent with them. And I'm entirely okay with that!

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like the idea of winning £100 of vouchers for the site. It's a great business decision for Hornby too - if I were to win, I'd be inclined to put some of my own money to that £100 and possibly pick up a loco, or use it + some more of my own money for a rake of coaches or similar - so even though they've given away £100, they'd have actually persuaded me to spend money I wouldn't otherwise have spent with them. And I'm entirely okay with that!

I think it is an excellent idea as well.

The winner can buy what they want, that is good for the winner  ;o)

I agree also that we are sure to spend more if we win.

Hornby win both ways, we have had a bit of fun and the winner has even more.

PJ

@PJ

Couldn't find a sleeper anywhere ay? There's millions of them all over the country... just go to the nearest railway!! :-)

*** Some of you are finding the calendar now... as I said in an earlier post - for those who haven't tried it yet... clear your browser cache files etc and then refresh the page or close the browser and reopen to find a whole new page on your system.

Your PC will look at your temporary internet files folder first BEFORE downloading ANY content from the web. If it finds stuff in there for the web address you are looking at you will see that content load instead of the updated web page.

Your browser will have an option to clear temporary files and cache upon closing of the browser each time. Look for that in your browser settings and enable it. With that done the browser does NOT look at your temporary internet files folder or cache. It downloads all page content from the website every time.

The reason it looks at the temp files folder etc on your system's hard drive is to save downloading the same content more than once if the content hasn't changed and it loads to your screen quicker from your cache on the hard drive that way, whereas downloading it and redrawing it takes longer.

So, there you have it... a little more knowledge for you guys to digest and remember. :-)

@PJ

Couldn't find a sleeper anywhere ay? There's millions of them all over the country... just go to the nearest railway!! :-)

*** Some of you are finding the calendar now... as I said in an earlier post - for those who haven't tried it yet... clear your browser cache files etc and then refresh the page or close the browser and reopen to find a whole new page on your system.

Your PC will look at your temporary internet files folder first BEFORE downloading ANY content from the web. If it finds stuff in there for the web address you are looking at you will see that content load instead of the updated web page.

Your browser will have an option to clear temporary files and cache upon closing of the browser each time. Look for that in your browser settings and enable it. With that done the browser does NOT look at your temporary internet files folder or cache. It downloads all page content from the website every time.

The reason it looks at the temp files folder etc on your system's hard drive is to save downloading the same content more than once if the content hasn't changed and it loads to your screen quicker from your cache on the hard drive that way, whereas downloading it and redrawing it takes longer.

So, there you have it... a little more knowledge for you guys to digest and remember. :-)

To clear the cache for one page, go to the Hornby home page.

Hold down the CRTL key and press F5 three times, (a couple should be enough, I do three times to be sure) leave a second between each press of F5 but keep CTRL hel down through out.

The page will then load

PJ

Oh... by the way... I have helped save Christmas by finding Santa... I leave it to someone else to apparently sober him up after his sleep! :-)

I'm afraid me and Rger found him about 0845 this morning. We sobered him up but he's been at the bottle again. 

Blimey on the bottle again, and he is on a train!!!

I bet he is not playing Bridge!

@PJ

To clear the cache for one page, go to the Hornby home page.

Hold down the CRTL key and press F5 three times, (a couple should be enough, I do three times to be sure) leave a second between each press of F5 but keep CTRL hel down through out.

The page will then load

PJ

The F5 key is supposed to work on one press only! Maybe your keys are tired after all this typing... :-)

Why shouldn't Hornby put and advert Fazy. They appear to be doing a sort of non prize one day then a really good prize the next. Good idea, keeps you on your toes. Much rather they gave a prize worth £100 occasionally than a cheap one every day. 

Anybody won won anything on the Bachmann or Rails of Sheffield one yet? 

Today you enter the draw by telling Hornby what you would like to win.

Nothing wrong with that, asking what you would like is good, same as £100 to spend on anything from Hornby is good.

I must admit I wanted to ask for Loco Detection ;-)  But it is not yet available!!!  The only problem is what if I pick something that is in stock today but not when they do the draw?

PJ

They'll probably do the draw today PJ. 

Competition closes 11:59 tonight so not impossible but they would need to be fast! Certainly could do it tomorrow, I didn't read all the small print but did it say "subject to availability"? I guess if they didn't have the first drawn's selection they could draw another name, who'd know?

Why shouldn't Hornby put and advert Fazy. They appear to be doing a sort of non prize one day then a really good prize the next. Good idea, keeps you on your toes. Much rather they gavea prize worth £100occasionally than a cheap one every day. 

Sorry if it came across negative what I was after was to know if that was right or if the pc was having a bad day

Why shouldn't Hornby put and advert Fazy. They appear to be doing a sort of non prize one day then a really good prize the next. Good idea, keeps you on your toes. Much rather they gavea prize worth £100occasionally than a cheap one every day. 

Sorry if it came across negative what I was after was to know if that was right or if the pc was having a bad day

Hi fazy

Just a comment to help.

When adding a reply put it 'under' the yellow boxes or it blends in the initial message and won't always be seen/read. On some systems the yellow is harder to see, I have to be careful on my laptop but can see the yellow boxes better on the PC

PJ

Archived