Hornby Advent Calendar

Alessio

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Management have obviously been upset with comments on here about the Advent Calendar as it doesnt come up any more.  I tried at just after midnight and again throughout today but all  I can see is a small plate of rotating chocolate fingers:)

Hey there saw a handy way of making that disappear from a few comments previous

If you press Ctrl and f5 whilst on the homepage it should reset the advent calandar and you should be able to access it then

hope this helps

Management have obviously been upset with comments on here about the Advent Calendar as it doesnt come up any more.  I tried at just after midnight and again throughout today but all  I can see is a small plate of rotating chocolate fingers:)

Hey there saw a handy way of making that disappear from a few comments previous

If you press Ctrl and f5 whilst on the homepage it should reset the advent calandar and you should be able to access it then

hope this helps

Hi

What CTRL + F5 does is it clears the cache for that page giving the page a fresh start.

Use it on any page you have difficulty with something not loading

PJ

I dont do facebook so I wont be participating in todays advent thing. I wondered though is that a Humber Sceptre in the picture? R-

Good morning Roger

I dont' do FaceBook either or any other social media.

All I do is Hornby and RMweb forums, occassionally NewRailwayModeller forum.

I no longer check the Advent Calendar, I check here first, if it is Facebook or an advert I don't waste my time.

PJ

Couldn't agree less Long Distance. Today's competition is, in my view, a triumph. It is getting young and old to reminisce about this hobby and place their story on public view. I am having a great time, and shedding a tear or two, reading them. Well done Hornby. Great idea, well executed and exactly what this time of year is about. R-

How can a bit of fun where Hornby give away prizes be considered a complete flop. I have a look, if I'm not interested I don't take part that day. It's free, some of the prizes are not for me and some a really good. Keep it up Hornby, maybe we should post a few more 'praise' threads to counteract the complainers. 

How/why can the Advent Calendar be considered a flop? I don't have any figures (I'm only a customer, like everyone else) but based on the fact this is page 15 of the thread I think it can be said that "a lot of people" are talking about it. I'm not bothered about most of the prizes, I think I only entered 2 so far. It's a bit of fun, I might win (Flying Pig alert) but what the hell..............................

The last few days things on this forum seem to revolve around a "Bash Hornby" theme.They have been hammered, with a large measure of justification, for late or limited  release of new models over the last few months. Then they have the Black Friday sale, which, by all accounts, is a major success judging by the number of people complaining. They avail themselves of the major discounts and then 'winge'  because they have to wait a day or two (or even more) for delivery. For heavens sake, it's christmas, what do you expect, the delivery firms are ultra busy!!!  I always maintain the public are selfish this time of year. They know the post is busy but they still send cards !!! (Don't think about the poor postie) And then come on here to find the Calendar is a flop...........!!

Perhaps one of those who only seem to complain could come on here and tell Hornby how to do things right. It's easy to complain but another to come up with a practical solution. Most complaints seem to revolve around orders not being delivered fast enough but it's a fact of life that a successful sale means lots of despatches means delays.

I feel Hornby are doing a good job (ok, could still do better) and I'll happily join the "praise Hornby" thread started by WTD

Note to admin: Can this encourage you to try and get some NER types into your product range!!

Hi Long Distance

You're right in that you do have a point of view, and I fully support that fact. However, in the same way, I also have an opinion which I stated to counter yours. Healthy debate !!

Anyway, I've posted my point of view which I'm not going to repeat, or justify, any more than I expect you to. We'll remain two people with different viewpoints. It happens everywhere else in life !!

Here we go again – no respect for other people’s point of view.

At risk of upsetting you further - I absolutely respect your point of view but your comments, and mine, need balance otherwise a reader may think that the only expressed opinion is correct.

When allied to the take-aways in the Hornby Club it simply reinforces TO ME that Hornby is cutting corners to save money, which only means one thing - trouble.

If that is what you think then so be it. How about it being nothing more than sensible housekeeping? Keeps costs down, as we all are, having a bit of fun, which most of us are, and spending wisely, which I for one am trying. R-

In previous years the Calendar had a prize, the winner to be objectively drawn from entries.  The prizes were Hornby products and usually very nice.

This year we have so far had:

1. Wallpaper – which is free anyway every day

2. A prize set

3. A Chocolate Machine on sale

4. A best jumper competition

5. One hundred pounds to be spent at Hornby.com

6. Referral to a news article

7. A prize draw

8. Mallard set on sale

9. 2015 product preview

10. One hundred pound voucher for a caption

11. Set in exchange for story

Prizes 1, 3, 6, 8 and 9 have no cost to Hornby.  Prizes 4, 10 and 11 require a subjective opinion by someone.

IN MY OPINION this year’s calendar is a flop compared to previous calendars.

Again MY OPINION.

When allied to the take-aways in the Hornby Club it simply reinforces TO ME that Hornby is cutting corners to save money, which only means one thing - trouble.

You mention no respect for other people views. I would say you are the one showing lack of respect.  By using that tried old one size fits all phrase.  Others are putting a conter argument up which is very respectful as time has been taken to read and the reply with a alternative point of view. Wich respectful.

In previous years the Calendar had a prize, the winner to be objectively drawn from entries.  The prizes were Hornby products and usually very nice.

This year we have so far had:

1. Wallpaper – which is free anyway every day

2. A prize set

3. A Chocolate Machine on sale

4. A best jumper competition

5. One hundred pounds to be spent at Hornby.com

6. Referral to a news article

7. A prize draw

8. Mallard set on sale

9. 2015 product preview

10. One hundred pound voucher for a caption

11. Set in exchange for story

Prizes 1, 3, 6, 8 and 9 have no cost to Hornby.  Prizes 4, 10 and 11 require a subjective opinion by someone.

IN MY OPINION this year’s calendar is a flop compared to previous calendars.

Again MY OPINION.

You mention no respect for other people views. I would say you are the one showing lack of respect.  By using that tried old one size fits all phrase.  Others are putting a conter argument up which is very respectful as time has been taken to read and the reply with a alternative point of view. Wich is respectful.

Re PP's "...practical solution..." above - my boss used to say to me 'if you bring me a problem, also bring me three solutions and I will decide which one to use'.

maybe rather than just moaning about stuff people should suggest a way to fix stuff.

Apparently, those in favour of this year's advent calendar are right. I'm not that interested in it, but the response by so many newcomers to the forum in today's enticing offer has beeen absolutely staggering. I did notice that LC had snuck in there and might even have a go myself. I could always sell it on!

Interest or comments for the Advent Calendar have slowed down so I thought I would lift it again!

I must admit I have not been looking every day but did today.

I like the 'Hornby Teaser' from the 2015 range

But I think I will be looking at which trains have sound in the coming year.

The 2015 Range will be made public mid week  ;o)

PJ

Archived