Top Posters In This Topic

Hornby J15

Bachmann 3MT

Bachmann Precedent

Heljan NER railcar

Hornby Patriot

Bachmann V2

All with speakers and power banks, and a mixture of Next18, 8 pin and 21 pin

Admittedly they are all running the default sound file (even the railcar) while I wait for the Android app.

Hornby 4MT 9f sound file 8 pin decoder and power bank

Hornby Princess Princess sound file 8pin decoder and power bank

Hornby Clan Brittania sound file 8 pin decoder

Power bank

Locomotion Precedent Hardwicke 4f sound file 21 pin decoder.

All 4 are working well . The precedent really needs the power bank or the rubber tyres wheel set changing. All sound files downloaded without issue except the clan which took 2 attempts as I was moving the iPhone on the first try. All work on dcc via railmaster or the App

Fitted a 21 pin one to a Dapol Class 73 South West Trains and an 8 pin one to a Hornby Sir Francis Drake Nelson class (S15 profile)

Only had trouble with getting the sound file to load and work but a few attempts and all ok.

Replaced the hornby supplied speaker in the Nelson class with a Rails Exclusive 8 ohm Baby Boomer which fitted the tender chassis better with a little fetling of the metalwork.

Both sound great and i intend to purchase at least 20 more decoders to satisfy my needs.

just hope the sound files continue to roll out.

I have 8 HMDCC Sound Decoders, as follows:

Successful Fittings

Hornby Prairie 61xx (8-Pin) with S15 Steam sound file.

Vitrains Class 47 (8-Pin) with Class 56 Sound file

Vitrains Class 37 (8-Pin) with Class 56 Sound file

Lima Western (8-Pin) with Class 31 Sound file (+power bank) - Note that I retro fitted an 8-pin socket to this loco.

Failed Decoders

Heljan Class 45 (21-Pin) - decoder back with Hornby for testing following its failure

EFE Class 35 Hymek (8-Pin) - decoder back with Hornby for testing following its failure.

Not Able to Fit - not enough Space

I have two other 8-Pin decoders waiting to be fitted to a suitable loco.

I have tried but failed to fit them into the following locos:

Hornby - Albert Hall

Bachmann - 08 Shunter

On the successful fittings listed above, all of the sound files required a few attempts to upload, but they do get there. I would note that the Class 66 file simply wouldn’t load (into the Class 37), so I gave up and loaded the Class 56 instead.

Therefore, I’d have to say that my experience thus far has been mixed. However, on the locos I’ve successfully fitted, I’m very pleased with the results. They run well and the sounds are excellent.

Clearly on any new system there will be teething problems but I think HMDCC is a true game-changer, and with 8 already in my collection, my colours are already nailed to the Hornby mast !

PS: I run my locos off an iPad Pro

Bachmann 66 with sound. Fitted fine, the loco already has an enclosure you just need to use the top of the large enclosure for the speaker.

No power bank (don't think an all wheel drive all wheel pick up Co Co really needs it)

It is interesting that many folk have had no trouble whatsoever loading sound profiles or installing decoders, but some of those who have had problems have had many problems. I make no judgement but it would be interesting to compare what everyone is using for kit to see if there is any common denominator.

So far I've only fitted one sound decoder - to a R3719 Prairie. After a bit of faffing with the speaker, my fault not its, it all went in fine. No power pack yet but I have since bought two more decoders and three power packs, all yet to be fitted. The Prairie runs and sounds really good, albeit with the default sound file. Looking forward to the Android App.

Hogwarts Castle, Hall class. Three installs to get the loco working. I did not know back then that turning the throttle up to full can help get the motor turning.

Since then, no problems, powered from a Select controller or MERG DCC boosters. Hogwarts has been a diesel-electric, a Black 5, and now back to the default. All without a hitch. All control has been over Bluetooth including on a 60-foot long public layout. Response is, in my judgement, as good as instantaneous. I am using a “regular” iPad, 6th Generation with up-to-date iPadOS 16.4.

So no problems here. The sound is good, once set to a lower volume. The functions / CV options are great. Above all I am enjoying using the HM7000 decoder and consider it excellent value.

Why Hogwarts? Plenty of room in the tender for an easy install, and the front light confirms power to the track. Plus, my grandchildren will have fun with it.

Piko TT:120 BR130 ‘Ludmilla’ Next 18 via PluX16 adapter stack on top of circuit board speaker in fuel tank that is factory speaker provision. Wiring route though chassis meant a snip, feed, solder of the speaker harness. 3 attempts to install OO Cl 56 profile, successful install after installing function list first. Motor control is exceptional, sounds are convincing and good quality.

Hornby TT:120 A4 William Whitelaw Next 18 Tender Install, decoder & speaker: profile upload took 2 attempts to install, successful 2nd time after installing function list first

I mainly use Dynamis Ultra for the layout and loco control but have also played on the app too. Switching and operation is seamless. I calculated scale speeds and changed CV 5 & 6 on both locos to set realistic top speeds, played around with acceleration and deceleration rates and sound volumes reduced (they are potentially loud!) it’s all incredibly easy via the app and can be done real time on the fly.

I’ve been foxed by two Bachmann tank locos today. Both have Next18 decoders in the boiler and as expected, the HM7k version is a fraction too long.

No big deal though, I’ve added the details to a spreadsheet I keep, and will save them for the 2nd generation decoders which hopefully should be a tad smaller.

Hornby class 101 3-car DMU with 8TXS decoder, medium size speaker box and power bank, running the class 31 profile (and hoping for some sort of DMU profile in due course).

Bachmann BR Standard 3MT Tank with 8TXS decoder and smallest speaker, both in the smokebox, and power bank in the cab, running the Black 5 profile.

Both run very smoothly with excellent sound quality - motor control and sound quality both seem much better than TTS, of which I have 6 examples.

Regards, John

Hornby J15
Bachmann 3MT
Bachmann Precedent
Heljan NER railcar
Hornby Patriot
Bachmann V2

All with speakers and power banks, and a mixture of Next18, 8 pin and 21 pin
Admittedly they are all running the default sound file (even the railcar) while I wait for the Android app.

I’ve added three more to the list:

Bachmann 2MT

Bachmann G2A

Bachmann V3