Which locos have you fitted hm7000

John-350809

Has anyone managed to fit the stay alive into TT:120 locos or is this not possible?

THe powerbank was designed primarily for use in OO, there is no space in a TT loco for it (quart into a pint pot comes to mind).

I have to endorse the comment regarding the current long wheelbase locos not needing them any way subject to the caveat of clean track, clean wheels and correctly laid track (applies in any scale) and the powerbank is not supposed to be a solution to any of those scenarios.

Personally, I am fitting one every time I fit a TXS decoder (nine so far on my OO layout) as they do make running smoother.

One option that may be of use, is to fit the powerbank in the first wagon or coach and feed the wire through to the loco - obviously they would have to remain permanently coupled but it may work for some.

My only criticism of the powerbank is that it doesn’t charge while the loco is stationery as the loco can be a bit stuttery on first startup until it has charged. Yes, I need to clean my track more often.

This aspect of their performance is being looked at by the developers and the test team.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am trying to fit an 8 pin hm7000 decoder in a Hornby 2-6-2 R3721 Prairie. Anyone succeeded? Any help gratefully received.

Yes, I've fitted one into a R3719, (same series). It fits nicely into the coal bunker cavity, just below the coal, first wrapped in a single layer of Kapton tape. The sugar cube speaker in the smallest enclosure fitted inside one of the tanks. I've yet to fit the power pack but am hopeful it will fit inside the other tank.

Yes I have Paul, but into R2737 which is a 61xx 2-6-2 Prairie but an earlier model (from 2009).
The 8-Pin decoder fitted easily in the main body. I put the sugar-cube speaker under the coal load and the Power Bank fits neatly into the cab (the black insulated tape is to hide it).

Assuming the newer version has the same sized body cavities, then all three elements fit well. See photo

forum_image_64501a39357eb.thumb.png.76ec9eb2af6cd7220c47d1262a26ca16.png

Unfortunately my dcc ready version is different to yours but thanks for the heads up as I also have an older version. 😁

I fitted the 8 pin with speaker into a tender of a Hornby R3864, "Lode Star."

This is my first venture into DCC and I am pleased that I can have a loco with sound for much less cost.

My grandson is now happy that I have a train that goes choo choo.

Will fit more.

I’ve fitted HM7000 decoders into the following locos:

”fag packet” class 43 set with 21-pin and Valenta sound profile

FGW Dynamic Lines class 43 set with 8-pin + sound and MTU sound profile

GWR 800003 class 800 set with 8-pin + sound and Class 73 sound profile

All three sets fit wonderfully. The class 800 buzzes until >50% throttle with or without sound. Thinking CV9 needs to be adjusted to figure out the optimum frequency for the motor. It ran much better on higher frequency with an HM6000. Unfortunately CV9 is unavailable in the HMDCC app and I don’t have another controller. Curious to see if the problem is solved when the class 800 profile is released.

I have now fitted three more locos.

Hornby Flying Scotsman. 8 pin.

Removed metal weight from tender and added lead weights under coal load.

Fitted larger speaker enclosure and power bank.

A1/A3 sound file.

Hornby Lord Nelson Class ‘Rodney’ 8 pin.

Plenty of room in tender for ‘larger’ small speaker enclosure and power bank.

S15 sound file.

Bachmann V2. 21 pin.

Fitted easily in loco with fitted speaker. Not tried power bank.

A1/A3 sound file

Next on list.

Hornby Royal Scot ‘Ranger’ 8 pin.

Will remove metal weight and fitted larger speaker and power bank as above. I know it will work.

Might fit class 5 sound file, unless anyone has a better suggestion.

As Hornby have not produced TTS files of the last four after all this time, I can’t see them doing it for HM7000. I hope I am wrong.

I am trying to fit an 8 pin Bluetooth decoder into a Hornby N2. It’s a tight fit, but the smallest speaker sits in the cab, with the decoder pushed into the boiler housing - obviously “hot wired”. An old You tube video shows it being done, pre HM7000.

But there’s a problem. The device links to my iPad and a steam profile is loaded. All seems fit to go; sounds are generated and the loco starts to move, but after 3 or 4 seconds - nothing. The connection to the loco is lost and nothing brings it back. I’ve tried two decoders with the same result (although haven’t checked them in other DCC ready locos to see if they’re damaged)

Any thoughts or suggestions please?

ive only bought an 8pin with no stay alive to test for now with the default steam sounds, untill the DCC app is avaiable .

Also i'm using an NCE controller to test with. but it physcially fits, and works in:

Bachmann 31-211. Patriot

Bachmann Branchline  32-400 class 25

Hornby   R3223 class 43xx, very tight to get a speaker in as well in the coal hopper. ive

In a previous post I mentioned that so far I have only fitted one TXS decoder to a R3719 Prairie. Well that is still the case as I am in no hurry pending the release of the Android App, and I am currently busy doing some landscaping and starting on my goods yard. However, today I decided to fit a power bank to the Prairie, and what a pig it was - at first. I mentioned in another thread that I was hoping it would go in the opposite tank to where I had fitted the speaker. Not a chance! It would not go in without binding on the flywheel and preventing the motor from running.

Where would it go, I wondered. Nowhere came the resounding answer. Then I remembered a trick with fitting a decoder to the Adams Radial. Here's what I did. By removing the coal from the bunker and drilling a 5.5mm hole in a corner of the floor beneath, the power bank cable can be fed through and plugged into the decoder which lodges on the underside of the floor and the power bank fits snugly under the coal. And the coal fits back into place.

I hope this is useful to others scratching their heads as to where to place power banks. It might also work for other locos with limited space. However, I doubt very much that a decoder and power bank could be fitted into anything as small as say a Terrier. It's unfortunate as smaller locos are probably more in need of a power bank that the larger ones.

I have a total of three decoders now, currently fitted in:

Accurascale Class 55 - 21 pin

Hornby B12 - 8 pin

Hornby Tornado - 8 pin

There were issues with loading the sound profile on all of them, but after several retries they all successfully loaded the closest sound profile I could get.

I have to say that, once set up, they work well. And I find it much easier adjusting CVs via the app, which makes it a much simpler way to make changes until you get the settings you want. Something that I generally avoided with my DCC controller.

It's a shame that the functions don't take into account things like the cab and internal lighting on the Accurascale, but then the lighting options seem pretty complex anyway on that loco. As I understand it, there is no way to re-map functions.

After a bumpy start I think that this decoder range is very welcome. I have wanted to add sound for a while, but could never justify £100 each time for a decoder. This is the perfect option for those on a budget.

I fitted an 8 pin with sound decoder to a brown class 31, with the power bank added. however had trouble fitting the roof back on....took it to the Signal Box in Leicester and a very helpful assistant got it sorted but we had to sacrifice the fan. Very tight squeeze but running well.

Love the technology and now looking to upgrade my Class 101 DMU and as someone else mentioned on this forum await the sound file.

So far. Hornby B1 R3000x. Sir Harold Mitchell. Still on default “ schools class “ profile so need to change. B12 seems closest at moment but no rush looking at up fitting to 2-6-4 tank L1 67777 next

Fitted the 21TXS to a Bachmann Class 47 (2014) and all is well. I used the existing speaker recess to locate a Power Bank and largest speaker housing in the remaining space. I saw the JK video where she said the Power Bank would fit at the opposite end of the loco but there was not enough clearance for the body to fit.

Have just bought my first 8 pin sound decoder for my S15. Loco runs well, but will not take the S15 sound profile, now on my 5th attempt. I like the idea very much but find the installation of a profile not that intuitive.

Update -

The sound had installed, but the speaker wire socket was faulty and the sound appeared when the socket was pressed gently onto the circuit board. Local model shop happy to exchange so will look forward to trying again. Still impressed with the concept and will probably buy more!