TT:120…..It’s Numbers Game 🤣

So this week TT:120 has had a bit of another bashing by ‘You Tube Clown Club’ Key members; Charlie 🤡Bishop, Sam’s 🤡 Trains, Locomotion 🤡Motion, et 🤡 all. 

This afternoon some numbers were passed on to me and I won’t reveal the source (it’s authenticated) and I won’t quote numbers but all I can say is we (TT:120 modellers) backed the right scale. Good times roll, I think we can expect Hornby to be in TT:120 for a long time to come. As they say, it’s all in the numbers, they never lie. I’m still laughing 🤣

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I think when the reality hits many in the industry will be left wondering how they missed this one. Agreed Dave reality is what is actually selling and that obviously starts with interest and enthusiasm 😁

• Like 1

Good grief man, don’t be bringing real data and logic into it. Whatever next?

This week’s HST arrival has brought a real boost, with more models now due throughout the summer. Those waiting for modern era models have lots to look forward to this year and steam era modellers are not forgotten either.

Whatever April brings will just add to another great year for the scale. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The large number of retailers and exhibitors getting into TT:120 at Doncaster a few weeks back was a real eye opener. Just a few weeks before at the NEC, hardly anybody, away from Hornby & Peco, really knew much about it. I’m certain we’re the ones that have backed the right horse.

• Like 4

I'm glad I went for TT, I used to have OO back in 82 when the APT first came out. The board was a simple oval with a few sidings. 

In Jan this year I found some of my old bits and decided I was going to get back into it again. What really made me go for TT was the size of track I could get on a 6 x 4 board and the locos & coaches available / due out.

Seeing and hearing the HST doing loops around my Mallard has really made it for me tonight.

OO vs TT 6 by 4.jpg

• Like 3

I think those 00 modeling TT120 doubters are just upset because their models are too big for their rails !

But seriously someone needs to call these you tubers out for presenting speculation as facts and  misinformation. I would wager TT120 is probably the best thing that has happened to Hornby's finances for some time.

Sure, there are some shortcomings, but that is true in all scales. TBH I think in the short time since Hornby launched British Outline TT120, its has come along faster than most.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

One thing I do notice with OO modellers is that a lot of them complain about the cost of buying new. They then go on to proudly state how they buy their gear from Ebay for not much money. This indicates to me that whilst the installed base may be a lot larger than for TT120 a lot of them don't actually spend much money and basically live of the fruits of the past in a saturated market.

This could explain why TT120 is so profitable for Hornby. There may be less of us but at least we buy things!

• Like 3

Very good observation and this is probably why in some circles it’s got the old guard worried. While Hornby have firmly stated they will continue to support OO, the business case is very strongly in favour of concentrating resources where the company achieves best ROI; they are a PLC and have responsibilities. 
Perhaps the Poll that would really be worth seeing results of would be, what scale do you model and what is your annual spend on brand new Locos, Rolling stock, track, scale specific scenery products, general modelling products, categories itemised. I think the results would surprise many. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

Perhaps the Poll that would really be worth seeing results of would be, what scale do you model and what is your annual spend on [...] products, categories itemised. I think the results would surprise many. 

LIKE (because I ran out)

And reading all the stuff about bias, probably best conducted by the likes of a publisher that covers all gauges and scales.

As well as second-hand I also buy my brand new stuff mostly on ebay 🙂    I appreciate the much wider market to find things I want, including from abroad.  I do some "due diligence" checks for pricing first of course, but I can't remember the last time I bought directly from a model shop other than maybe something found at an exhibition.  I used the Hornby online shop for TT:120 obviously.

Edited by ntpntpntp
  • Like 1

In my experience Hattons used to have better prices for secondhand than Ebay.  Of course they've gone now but I'm sure that it would have taken quite a lot of money out of circulation due to people (like me) buying stuff in their sale.

1 hour ago, PeterM67 said:

One thing I do notice with OO modellers is that a lot of them complain about the cost of buying new.

Generalisations are always a bad thing. Judging by my youtube "recommendations" over the last couple of weeks there are plenty of people who've plonked down >£1000 for 4x Cavalex Class 56 and are now proudly showing them off, especially the sound.

3 hours ago, mr2002 said:

Generalisations are always a bad thing. Judging by my youtube "recommendations" over the last couple of weeks there are plenty of people who've plonked down >£1000 for 4x Cavalex Class 56 and are now proudly showing them off, especially the sound.

And the Roads and Rails felt it necessary to post instructions on how to set the dip switches for different decoders to get the lights to work.

18 minutes ago, mr2002 said:

Indeed, there will be big spenders in OO land however there are those who talk about the 2nd hand market and how they can get everything they need there. Additionally you will get the long time modellers who have basically got what they want and just don't need or have the inclination to buy so much and when they do there is a lot more competition for their cash. The average spend per modeller on Hornby kit x the number of modellers might give an indication of their value to Hornby.

4 hours ago, Rallymatt said:

Perhaps the Poll that would really be worth seeing results of would be, what scale do you model and what is your annual spend on brand new Locos, Rolling stock, track, scale specific scenery products, general modelling products, categories itemised…

Whilst I naturally see the advantage of such a hypothetical poll…

Am unsure I would want to be too aware of such a total - I would also have a strong aversion to sharing such a figure! 😬

I can’t imagine participating in such a poll would be a comfortable experience for many modellers! 😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3