Stanier coaches

A little grinding/cutting has sorted the issues out and they both run fine now.  Another little issue to inform Hornby about.

There were 4 areas I modified and cannot say if all or a combination of them were needed but did not have enough coaches to keep doing just one of them.

Might look rough but I don't waste time and it works.

Screenshot_2024-04-05-18-10-29-26_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

Screenshot_2024-04-05-18-11-15-25_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

• Thanks 1

That’s a shame that this is still an issue on new releases. Would’ve thought the experience from Mk1s would’ve been improved on.

They look great though. Looking forward to my maroon one.

Just a thought,  why are people bothering to alter these instead of returning them to Hornby or or retailer they purchased them from?   Not only have  you invalidated the warranty/ guarantee, but by sending back to Hornby they will be more aware of the issue and 'hopefully' make alterations to the tooling for future production runs.

They seem to have been responsive to issues people have had with various locos being returned, so why not rolling stock? 

Letting them know, sure.

Returning, i assume you want your money back or wait for the tooling change? But that doesn't help you play or enjoy (nothings ever perfect and a bit of discreet fettling fixes it) or the scale grow. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Irishmail said:

Just a thought,  why are people bothering to alter these instead of returning them to Hornby or or retailer they purchased them from?   Not only have  you invalidated the warranty/ guarantee, but by sending back to Hornby they will be more aware of the issue and 'hopefully' make alterations to the tooling for future production runs.

They seem to have been responsive to issues people have had with various locos being returned, so why not rolling stock? 

Because if we returned them then all the others and 57's would have to have new underframes made how long do you think that would take? We probably would not see them for 12 months or more.

At least it is easy to do (for most people anyway) and last time I reported it to Hornby, as did others, they altered the moulds.

Edited by Silver Fox 17
  • Like 1

@Irishmail I returned the three Pullman coaches in my Scotsman set as I was concerned about invalidating the warranty.

However, all they did was oil the axles - no modifications were made to the underframes. They still run poorly - Blink Bonny only just manages to drag them around.

25 minutes ago, Martin-369195 said:

@Irishmail I returned the three Pullman coaches in my Scotsman set as I was concerned about invalidating the warranty.

However, all they did was oil the axles - no modifications were made to the underframes. They still run poorly - Blink Bonny only just manages to drag them around.

If they are lit Pullmans and struggling on the straight then that is a totally different issue to this.

This is about coaches running well on the straight but problematic on the curves. Both early Mk1's and Pullmans had different issues and Hornby sorted the Mk1 by altering the moulds but no idea if the Pullmans were done. 

I am looking forward to what Hornby say on Monday after looking at the videos and photos.

Out of interest,  what radius curves does this issue stop being a problem?   I have a rake of 5 MK1's but only run them on straight track so far, and will be planning to build my TT:120 layout with larger radius curves all being well.

2 minutes ago, Irishmail said:

Out of interest,  what radius curves does this issue stop being a problem?   I have a rake of 5 MK1's but only run them on straight track so far, and will be planning to build my TT:120 layout with larger radius curves all being well.

I only tried this Stanier on R3, the Mk1's did it on R4 but cannot remember if they did on my main layout with larger curves.

• Thanks 1

The Stanier 50' is listed on the website as a minimum of radius 3., which I find surprising. Does it say anything on the packaging?

The far longer Mk.1 and Mk.3 coaches have radius 1 as the minimum.

But I think we've already established that the Hornby website descriptions can not always be relied upon.

Edited by mr2002

I am due some full brakes, including the one that’s just arrived. They look superb. Will look into the ‘catching’ and make tweaks as I’d rather have the coach and I’m not concerned about warranty, they will get lights etc anyway. I did wonder if was due to Gary running the coach ‘across the grain’ on his very nice counter top 🤣

Edited by Rallymatt
Spilling herra
  • Haha 1

These look great.  I’ve got a couple of BR ones on order.  I might pick up some extras to repaint into newspaper vans (these are the right coaches for that BR blue livery?)

19 minutes ago, John-L said:

These look great.  I’ve got a couple of BR ones on order.  I might pick up some extras to repaint into newspaper vans (these are the right coaches for that BR blue livery?)

I don't think they are the same, I thought the Newspaper vans were flat sided like GUV's whereas these have a tumbleholme.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mr2002 said:

The Stanier 50' is listed on the website as a minimum of radius 3., which I find surprising. Does it say anything on the packaging?

I could not see anything about radius on the boxes. I am surprised R3 is mentioned especially as these are shorter than the Mk1 and Pullmans. Coaches, especially parcels, can be shunted like wagons so R1 should be suitable.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rallymatt said:

I am due some full brakes, including the one that’s just arrived. They look superb. Will look into the ‘catching’ and make tweaks as I’d rather have the coach and I’m not concerned about warranty, they will get lights etc anyway. I did wonder if was due to Gary running the coach ‘across the grain’ on his very nice counter top 🤣

They can’t handel the grain 😝 

• Like 1

I think the 50' parcels van wheel issue is mainly (probably only) related to the underframe moulding near where the coupling spring attaches.

One photo shows the moulding as bought, another shows slight "glazing" where the wheels rub and the other after grinding the edge down.

The coach seems to run okay after just doing this.

Hornby must have known there was an issue as they have used a washer between the bogie and underframe which they don't normally have.

IMG_20240408_132637.jpg

IMG_20240408_132610.jpg

IMG_20240408_132715.jpg

• Like 1