Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

• 6 months later...

Just taken delivery of an Electrotren Great Western 0-6-0 saddle tank, based on an ex Taff Vale loco. see http://www.modelrailforum.com/images/OnTracks/GV2005.jpg

It is a really smooth runner and I hope will be easy to convert to DCC. The only trouble

is I couldn't see if it was DCC ready. However, when I took the body off there is a six pin plug that pulls out at the front of the chassis which I assume is for the decoders usually used in n gauge. Looking at the chassis I wonder if Hornby could use it to

make proper British outline models - The small outside cylindered panniers for example or even a Pecket 0-6-0ST

poliss said:

Don't use the 6 pin decoder from the B Team.

Hi Poliss

What's wrong with it? I very recently fitted one into a blue box N Class (weathered) - and everything ran well on the rolling road. Should I be looking

at an alternative? I'd rather know now than later.

poliss said:

Have you got time to un-order it? There are a lot of things you can't do with it.

Ordered it new on ebay so I don't think I can un-order it. However, I only want it to go backwards and forwards, program it with

the locos number and hopefully switch off any acceleration settings, so I hope it will be OK. It is also of the direct plug in type.

Latest acquisition for me - not exactly rolling stock or a loco - I got the Oxford diecast Ridgway Scania low-loader with the multi-wheel telescopic trailer. It is now parked in the 'yard', with a bit of old track tacked to the trailer with silicon sealant,

and an equally tatty old 060 and tender (running number 44074) perched on it. The loco will eventually be liberally rusted up.

The trailer does telescope, I didn't measure it, but it's around a foot long, fully extended.

My trip to York Toy Fair the other weekend got me a Wrenn BR 4MT 2-6-4T, and a load of Bayko. Also a Hornby E2 in SR lined black. A subsequent visit to the model shop in York got me a Midland 4F and a black diesel shunter.

Latest personal aquistions are a tired 1974 Margate made Hornby Britannia, bought as a rainy day restoration project along with 6 Maroon MK1's and an LMS brake Van, and two of those cheapo part work magazine Mk1's.

The Britannia was on a model shops

"graveyard" shelf in Sheringham, and I took pity on it. It's slowly coming back to life, I airbrushed a spare set of smoke deflectors gloss black yesterday as one of the oiginal gloss black ones had been bodge repaired at sometime and looked terrible. New

nameplates and a full paintwork overhaul await, along with a full chassis and motor rebuild. It had one side of broken valve gear and the cylinders were tired, the motor is in good fettle but will be fully overhauled, still have to hunt out from the stock

of parts I keep a tneder ladder. Going to be a nice loco.

I rather like these 'sad' restoration jobs myself. The advantage with Triang / Hornby is many of the interior parts were interchangeable or could be modified. Local toy fairs still have those wonderful stalls that have crates containing packets of 'bits'

for very little, always worth a rummage. I am gathering up the Triang SR EMU which seems to be coming down in price since the 2Bil appeared. The Triang motor bogie is a wonderfully solid bit of design.

The son of Triangman said:

Latest

personal aquistions are a tired 1974 Margate made Hornby Britannia, bought as a rainy day restoration project along with 6 Maroon MK1's and an LMS brake Van, and two of those cheapo part work magazine Mk1's.

The Britannia was on a model shops "graveyard"

shelf in Sheringham, and I took pity on it. It's slowly coming back to life, I airbrushed a spare set of smoke deflectors gloss black yesterday as one of the oiginal gloss black ones had been bodge repaired at sometime and looked terrible. New nameplates and

a full paintwork overhaul await, along with a full chassis and motor rebuild. It had one side of broken valve gear and the cylinders were tired, the motor is in good fettle but will be fully overhauled, still have to hunt out from the stock of parts I keep

a tneder ladder. Going to be a nice loco.

Totally agree LC&DR. It's so rewarding to see a former wreck come back to life, the loco looked so sad sitting in a pile of locos and dross on the chaps shelf and I was there on holiday with some spare cash so I bought it, it just had to be saved, it will

be a beauty when it's done. I found a box last week at Holt toy and train fair, we had a small stall there selling new and s/h loco bodies and new Hornby and D.pol and whilst we were setting up I went rummaging on another traders stall and found a good box

with sleeve. Just need a box plastic liner tray now.