Average Age

2e0dtoeric

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This of course, is exactly the point i made, in Escalating prices, and General Rant.  10/11 year olds pocket money, wont make a dent in todays model railways. Patience never was a virtue with children, nor was saving up to buy an item, which now has taken on a whole new perspective. Taint so bad, with DC, but this hobby is fast moving towards those senior members, who have more disposable income. Its a real shame, but our demands for more detail etc, of course , come at a price. john

65 in two weeks!  This is a great excercise to give Hornby the incentive to raise prices again to get their hands on your pension pots even more. It appears that toy trains are no longer for children because it would take weeks of pocket money to get a wagon now. This has also proved my thoughts were correct in thinking that this "hobby" is an old mans hobby. I am not aware of any youngsters near me with any interest in trains other than when they are very young and mummy and daddy get them a Thomas set. Interest may last about 3 months and then it's cheap plastic toys of monsters, leading to computers.

His surname would need to be  that of a wealthy person. There is a big model club here, but ite 90% cars, 5% boats, and 5% trains. They have a big exhibition at xmas, with one tiny rail track.. Children from the village come to see/ play with my layout, but None, have any trains of their own. john

I only know one youngster with a passion for model railways, but then again as I'm not in a club how would I know who likes what. The lad three doors away might have a huge layout. 

Two of my 7 grandkids (9 and 8) are crackers about trains. Both have Hornby sets.