2024 Range Announcement - 9am 2nd April

29 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

I think Mike’s skills are behind the camera and that somehow his role has escalated (whether his choice or not) and that doesn’t come across well. Any public presentations should be managed by a senior (and skilled) PR/Marketing manager. Broadcasts should be hosted by a professional with good subject knowledge. These things are not hard to get right and they are so important. 

They really need one railway guru on their marketing team. Someone like the Hornby Magazine guys who are passionate about railway history and can hold their own with those they come into contact with. The guys actually designing the locomotives know their stuff, but they need to be represented by someone with the same knowledge of the subject matter. 

Part of the problem is that Hornby is both a toy company and a modeling company. Both customer bases need to be catered to. Discussing the correct livery for an early-nationalization LNER pacific express locomotive is exciting for one fanbase (probably the people here... 😂), but boring for another. By contrast, most of the modelers probably don't care about the cool Play Trains video that is released, but it's essential to get parents to buy toys for their kids. Each customer base needs a steady stream of content. Hornby can't succeed without honoring both halves of its business. 

• Like 6

Personally I liked the new style presentation.

I thought it was great & interesting to hear about some of the new models from the designers themselves - rather than simply a glorified PowerPoint presentation.

I also enjoyed the Q&A (once I’d increased the volume.) I felt the 3 of them tried hard to cover all bases:
• Mike is obviously there to act as the audience representative, asking questions & ensuring jargon/tech info is explained for all ages & knowledge levels of viewer. 
• Martyn did his best (in a thankless role) to answer product choices & business decisions (as much as can legitimately be expected.)
• Karl also did a good job to answer as many design/tech questions as he could - however this info will always be too much for some & too little for others!

So aside from sound improvements (agree tie-clip mics please!)  I very much hope the format for TT:120 is similar - undoubtedly with less products, possibly allowing for more time/info per product? 🤞

Edited by LTSR_NSE
  • Like 1

@LTSR_NSE I totally agree re the Q&A. That’s a very good format, and shows excellent customer engagement. Yes the audio gremlins have struck sometimes but that can be sorted. It’s more the range launches and other PR videos that I was referring to. Not at all trying to have a go, just would love to see them not do themselves any dis-service when we know plenty folk are just waiting to snipe from the sidelines

• Like 4

On 12/03/2024 at 13:17, Dave the Busker said:

Posts have just started going up on Hornby's official social media platforms confirming that the TT:120 range announcement for this year will be live on their YouTube channel at 9am on the 2nd of April.

Just after april fools how nice lol

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this before, sorry in advance if they have, but maybe there is a bit of a clue about what will be announced , if you look in the available sound files on the HM Tutorials which updated on the 19/03/24, the class 50, class 66 and Duchess sound files are listed but not yet available but it is also showing for TT , sound files for Class 37 (SD057) available Q2 2025 , just a thought 

Hi @Bobbing Bob welcome to the forum!

The Class 37 was included in the Phase 3 plans at launch and as you say, presumably intentionally and not an error that they missed at the time, the sound profile for Class 37 suggests that will be coming. Just 10 days until we find out!

Welcome Bob, yes the Cl37 entry on the sound profile schedule was picked up a while back, it hopefully gives an indication of when the model may physically appear. As that document hasn’t been changed in that time, it’s pointing to it being genuine rather than an error in the listing 😁

I’ve just noticed that the four out of stock Pullman coaches have been removed from the web shop. Just the remaining Pullman brake is showing.

Announcement next week of new Pullmans incoming maybe? Or will the Scotsman and mooted British Pullman set be the only way of buying such coaches?

Incidentally, a consequence of their removal is that, probably for the first time since launch of TT120 I think, there are currently more items in stock (92) than there are out of stock/on pre-order (91). 

3 hours ago, Moccasin said:

I’ve just noticed that the four out of stock Pullman coaches have been removed from the web shop. Just the remaining Pullman brake is showing.

Announcement next week of new Pullmans incoming maybe? Or will the Scotsman and mooted British Pullman set be the only way of buying such coaches?

Incidentally, a consequence of their removal is that, probably for the first time since launch of TT120 I think, there are currently more items in stock (92) than there are out of stock/on pre-order (91). 

This is something that annoys me about Hornby. I do understand that they have to allocate new stock to production runs but they need to keep basic things in the catalogue. I restarted the hobby again in January after about 35+ years and found that the lack of coaches and loco's for different era's frustrating. This was one of the many reasons I chose TT, they had the popular models and corresponding coaches either in stock or released soon. To me as a new starter the OO range feels like a mess because of this.

I can see why you can't pre-order an item out of stock, you don't have to pay anything and Hornby can see what to prioritise  when it comes to the production runs.

1 minute ago, Tim Allen said:

This is something that annoys me about Hornby. I do understand that they have to allocate new stock to production runs but they need to keep basic things in the catalogue. I restarted the hobby again in January after about 35+ years and found that the lack of coaches and loco's for different era's frustrating. This was one of the many reasons I chose TT, they had the popular models and corresponding coaches either in stock or released soon. To me as a new starter the OO range feels like a mess because of this.

I can see why you can't pre-order an item out of stock, you don't have to pay anything and Hornby can see what to prioritise  when it comes to the production runs.

The expectation amongst many is that new Pullman coaches will be released as there is a new Pullman train set due. We'll find out on Tuesday!

It’s a difficult task to judge ongoing demand, so although Pullmans will appear again (I’m sure) it will probably be with different running numbers/names to ensure demand. At the moment with the range the limited production slots will be prioritised to potential sales volumes, non moving stock on shelves is what killed Hornby in the Meccano days and Triang, it’s frustrating for customers at times but the business model has to work too 😁

• Like 1

I suspect the current pullman coaches have long been discontinued however they where left in the shop to make it look busy. With Tuesday being the announcement day they are being removed to make way for their replacements.

• Like 1