What is everyone doing this weekend with their model railways?

I was kidding about Casualty, just to see what reaction it drew. As for me, though, I was extremely ill 6-7 years ago with what, apparently the my visitng GP told my wife he suspected to be pancreatic cancer. When he saw me in bed I told him I thought I ought to go into Casualty, and said that was not advisable because I might catch something, so it was better to stay at home to be looked after there. My wife eventually rang a BHF heart support nurse we knew at the hospital. She turned up to work early to see me the next morning. As soon as she saw me she immediately had me admitted. It turned out I was suffering from severe congestiive heart failure. They thought I could well die that night but, fortunately, I was back home again after 7 weeks treatment, culminating in a ventricular resynchronising wire being added to my implanted cardiac device (ICD) which stabilised my heart beats. I recovered to be what I am today (no comment, please,PP).

Now, that was a personal experience case for seriously considering Casualty at times you don't think it's necessary. Coronary heart disease angina can easily be assumed to seem like indigestion, for instance.

Just a salutory lesson for people who think their condition might not be sufficiently important. In your case, LC, I could have suggested a 7 finger keyboard!

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Graskie, you summed up what is wrong with GP's, possibly due to the way the NHS is funded. There seems to be a general reluctance to refer patients for proper diagnostic tests, and, even when people are referred, the waiting lists and appointment booking systems are a joke. And don't even get me started on the lack of proactive tetsing / assessment. Everyone should have a health MOT at least once a year, aligned to their gender, lifestyle, family history etc. The NHS can't seem to get it's head around the fact that prevention is better (and probably cheaper) than cure. Legislation ensures our cars get looked after better than we do!

I'm gald you finally recieved the proper diagnosis and treatment. Good luck with continued good health.

I was kidding about Casualty, just to see what reaction it drew. As for me, though, I was extremely ill 6-7 years ago with what, apparently the my visitng GP told my wife he suspected to be pancreatic cancer. When he saw me in bed I told him I thought I ought to go into Casualty, and said that was not advisable because I might catch something, so it was better to stay at home to be looked after there. My wife eventually rang a BHF heart support nurse we knew at the hospital. She turned up to work early to see me the next morning. As soon as she saw me she immediately had me admitted. It turned out I was suffering from severe congestiive heart failure. They thought I could well die that night but, fortunately, I was back home again after 7 weeks treatment, culminating in a ventricular resynchronising wire being added to my implanted cardiac device (ICD) which stabilised my heart beats. I recovered to be what I am today (no comment, please,PP).

Now, that was a personal experience case for seriously considering Casualty at times you don't think it's necessary. Coronary heart disease angina can easily be assumed to seem like indigestion, for instance.

Just a salutory lesson for people who think their condition might not be sufficiently important. In your case, LC, I could have suggested a 7 finger keyboard!

Although not for myself, but for my wife, I too have very good reason to be grateful to hospital A&E departments.

You may not believe this, but a two finger keyboard is about all I can manage in daily use! Many years ago I  did a typing speed test as part of a job interview, and achieved a speed with one finger and a thumb almost equivalent to touch typist using all eight fingers and both thumbs. And this was on a mechanical typewriter too. I couldn't do it today of course.

When I worked in the Traffic Control Office at Newcastle we had to keep a daily log. This was typed on an old typewriter into which we put six sheets of paper separated by five sheets of carbon paper. After each incident had been dealt with I had to write a report on the typewriter so that the bosses when they came in at 09:30 could have a copy each. The bottom copy was almost unreadable, but I had to really thump the keys even to get that smudge. That and the train graph were the sole record of what had taken place in the 24 hours.

The train graph was a remarkable ribbon of tracing paper, about 15 inches high, drawn in real time from telephoned passing times from the signal boxes from Northallerton to Berwick upon Tweed, It was used by the 'Main Line' controller to direct signalmen to 'regulate' trains so that goods trains were shunted into loops to avoid delaying passenger trains, and slow passenger trains, if running late,  got sidelined for expresses. If a train was delayed the horizontal line was drawn in red pencil. From my position at the back of the office I dreaded the appearance of the red pencil, it meant that (a) my telephone was going to get red hot over the next hour or so, and (b) I would be thumping the typewriter keys for an hour after I should have been off duty!

It is a little sad we have moved to NHS, I am wondering what question I should raise. I dare not ask which region as that is a postcode lottery, I must not ask if it is steam as some are definitely hot under the collar.

I have a lot of praise for the NHS, having experienced A&E many times and many beds in many wards. 18 months ago I had a double hernia operation with complications; they did a good job through risky situations. Last year I was referred for 2x camera upwards and seen in two weeks, next week I have a camera down, referral to actual investigation again two weeks.

The NHS would be fine but, there are two main reasons I think. One is managers without managerial and economical experience, the other is government interfering. Having said that, I think one of the main problems is not the hospitals themselves but, to many people in beds not allowed to go home because there is no back up service when they do go home. This could be why the government will not put too much money in, and I am certainly not sticking up for the government. They need to sort after care and get people fit to go home out of the beds in doing so it will free up beds and help resolve the problem to a level it can be reassessed.

Back to my trains and painting of my speed limit signs  ;o)

PJ

I am almost at the end of my GWR Railmotor and would like to thank all the people in the forum that gave me the information for logos and colours there is so much info out there with you guys and for ever grateful for your help. Just the chassis to paint and blow up the sound system last night so need new chips but that the type of luck I have I once had a plastic flower that died?

/media/tinymce_upload/image44.jpg

Hi Graskie

You've learned a lot of big words during your time as a customer of the NHS. You also know I would not extract the yellow liquid on such a serious matter!!!

Hi LC&DR

Your typing sounds similar to mine. Six sheets of paper, five sheets of carbon, on a manual machine (I liked Adler)was 'par for the course' for customs entries and although I was pretty fast it was two fingers and maybe a thumb!! I never learned to touch type and even today I have to look at the keyboard

HI PP

Your typing sounds similar to mine. Six sheets of paper, five sheets of carbon, on a manual machine (I liked Adler)was 'par for the course' for customs entries and although I was pretty fast it was two fingers and maybe a thumb!! I never learned to touch type and even today I have to look at the keyboard.

Well that says it all, sums me up with two fingers per hand and the odd thumb press here and there. My wife was a touch typist, admin officer at Poole Council, she could rattle away typed documents at amazing speeds, not looking at the screen, and discuss other matters at the same time. It amazed me. My big fingers need the good old spell check, but with poor eye sight due to double vision (corrected with prism lenses in glasses) I often need a little more than that now. So apologies for smelling mitakes  ;o)

PJ

we are coming up to norfolk in september for our holiday,could do with some empty boxes.

Hi Ruston, go into town and buy a couple of suit- cases, always look better than cardboard boxes, there again , I might have it wrong and you don,t have a tent, Enjoy the holiday.( I wonder if the model village withe rail layout is still open in Gt.Yarmouth ? )

Hi all

Find the H M & S Ty wagon

So I can remove the duplicate M S L R wagon from the layout the layout is to small to have duplicates on it

Once thats done then its try and find a scource for Track diagrams for Fort William so I can re start the planning process  for the large layout to built in the shed.

regards John

Hi all,

The conversation is definitely starting to move off topic. I'm happy for these kind of discussions to take place but just in the right place. I really would like to avoid having to hide or move posts.

If a thread triggers a certain discussion just create another thread (in the correct sub-forum). For example, a new topic could have been created in the Off Topic sub-forum about LC&DR's cut finger and NHS experiences.

Sorry, old habits die hard.

I have been told I am going into the basement to sort out some of the boxes still packed up from moving house. Whilst the incentive is SWMBO wants it done it's also the first step in clearing the way for starting to build the layout in new home. 

Nice one cooped 

Let them think they are in command but, always have a plan B for thee self  ;o)

Replied already, but got moderated. Seems you can't put two ts on but. Anyway, change of plan. After seeing a squirrel's you know what disappearing into a hole behind the gutters on the house today is now devoted to thwarting said squirrel and evicting them.

I am in the middle of clearing out the space below part of my layout so I can move other bits and pieces  from another part of the layout to create more rolling stock storage. At the moment my stock is sored on the bits of board that I need to work on so it's a necessary chore if I am ever to link the 009 to it's mainline interchange.

I've also been spraying an 8 ton outside framed closed van made from a shapeways 3D print and a proprietry chassis.

Fitting some drawer runners under my layout for a keyboard and mouse retractable board, then fitting & wiring 2 x ADS-8fx Decoders. Connect up the Computer/Monitor & assign points to decoders & RM. A few scenic areas need attention then when all that's done I've just got to clean all the track before running some trains. Might get it done by the end of February!

Done the runners and prepared the board. Put on the first coat of varnish which was supposed to dry in 20 minutes and recoatable after 1 hr but it was still wet 2 hrs later, too cold! So moved it somewhere warm! Tomorrow hopefully I'll get the camp bed under the layout and start on the ADS-8fx but I've got "man-flu" so might just stay in bed with a few hot-toddies!

Downloaded the 1.60 update for RM, seems okay for now.

Rain had stopped play on the anti squirrel manoeuvres (sp?) And SWMBO has declared her presence is required during all basement activities to make sure I 'do it right'. SWMBO has also decided today is not a good day to get up so my activity has reverted to watching a WW1 DVD I've had for a while but haven't between able to watch. Tough times!

Archived