What is everyone doing this weekend with their model railways?

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right now I have my 4 month old granddaughter sleeping on me, who (to keep it on topic) will be initiated into Hornby as soon as possible.

Make sure you buy her her own train set - you don't want her playing with Grand Pa's Choo Choos just yet!

Not playing but going to Southampton MRE at Eastleigh on Sunday and hopefully meeting Postman Prat and Bulleidboy. Looking forward to it.  Bet they make me spend some money.  

It's ok WTD. I'll save you from yourself. I do recall you said on this very forum, only a few weeks ago, that you were going to buy the Double-Tender Bittern at Eastleigh. I'll try to stop you!!!

Ok, so I failed.

He dodn't buy Bittern with the 2 tenders - he bought an NRM Midland Compound. What made it worse was he persuaded me to buy one as well.

Will give my Thomas' new traction tyres a poke to see if I can make them sit flatter so that the rear driving wheels make decent contact.

Rechecked Thomas' new traction tyres and as they were indeed fitted correctly I fitted a temp. shim between the rear axle and the springs and that took the whole of my Australia Day long weekend as other unnecessary things took priority :)

Happy to report that Thomas runs again under DCC control as she did before fitting the new tyres.

Fitting some drawer runners under my layout for a keyboard and mouse retractable board, then fitting & wiring 2 x ADS-8fx Decoders. Connect up the Computer/Monitor & assign points to decoders & RM. A few scenic areas need attention then when all that's done I've just got to clean all the track before running some trains. Might get it done by the end of February!

Done the runners and prepared the board. Put on the first coat of varnish which was supposed to dry in 20 minutes and recoatable after 1 hr but it was still wet 2 hrs later, too cold! So moved it somewhere warm! Tomorrow hopefully I'll get the camp bed under the layout and start on the ADS-8fx but I've got "man-flu" so might just stay in bed with a few hot-toddies!

Downloaded the 1.60 update for RM, seems okay for now.

Fitted two accessory decoders and very impressed with the ease to program. Got a couple of sticky points to sort out but pleased so far. Unfortunately RM means my little used mimic panel is redundant so it had to come down. Some photos showing the decoder, another shot showing the cable bundles that went up to the mimic and last shots showing the RM display/monitor with and without the mimic. Getting close to running trains again!/media/tinymce_upload/SAM_0818.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/SAM_0820.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/SAM_0822.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/SAM_0823.JPG

Have a R.051S GWR 0-6-0 to be partially stripped down and cleaned.

May even unsolder the brown wire from the baseplate pick up to replace with new and put in new brushes.

I don't know whether this is a keeper or passer-on (Is there such a word?) but it was next on the list.

I shall probably be working on the SEF SR U1 2-6-0 kit. The loco and tender superstructures are nearly completed, just detail to add, the loco chassis is also nearly complete and runs under power, but I need to make a new pony truck and a tender chassis.

Hope this helps choralc. Rebuilt an old boxed R.051S a while ago. New wiring is a good idea.

I was thinking about removing the smoke unit.  I see it there in the press-seal bag. I must have a look at the Service Sheet to see how that sucker is secured to the chassis so that it lessens the work required by the motor or at least see how to temporarily remove the unit's gear wheel so that the unit can still act as mass inside the body.

When I saw all your temp. stored boxes on another thread I wished I could buy it all and become SOT II ! :)

R.051S/R.51S GWR 0-6-0PT '8751' gloss finish, clean and rewire completed.

Much gunk cleaned out. Wire came away from pickup when I opened the baseplate so the decision to rewire was easy to make :)

Screw holding the smoke unit gear wheel was found. Gear and arm removed to parts box and screw returned to its place for another purpose later. All other wiring removed. Capacitor/suppressor retained as were the brushes.

Brass surfaces cleaned. Commutator, pickups, brushes and brush clip.

I only have the one coloured wire and lengths were soldered to pick up tab, smoke unit and brush clip. The smoke unit wire was turned a couple  of times over the gear screw and heat shrink put over the end and laid loose on the top plate. The wire I used is pretty stiff so I don't think it will ever tangle round the worm gear. The brush clip and pick up wires were resoldered to the capacitor. A bit of insulation tape was added there.

A few drops of oil and she is a remarkably quiet runner (the body really adds ... atmosphere to the X.03/04 0-6-0s) and I am very pleased. A candidate for chipping if I decide to keep her.

Now what shall I do for the rest of the weekend? What was that sweetheart?

Found another R.051S in the Spares/Repair drawer that's a non-runner in an excellent box. Got it almost 3 yrs ago. The yellow plastic tray is in good condition. Swapped the bodies and today's effort is now boxed in the 'chipping' cupboard.

So looks like tomorrow is this one's turn. Took the base plate off gently and lo and behold the pick up wire has come off. Fingers crossed that this is all that was wrong unless of course  the owner pulled it off when trying to fault-find.

Looking at the weather, freezing rain on top of snow, I shan't be going far from home this weekend so I guess I shall still plod on with building the U1. I have sent a couple of mail orders to Markits and East Kent Models for spares, I managed to break the whitemetal whistle with an elastic band when I was gluing the ejector pipe along the boiler, so hopefully Markits will have a turned brass one. I still have the splasher tops and handrails to add. I also still need to build the tender chassis as I will be using Hornby inside bearing  wheelsets, and not the recommended Romford ones.

As soon as I am happy it is nearly ready I will post a picture.

This has jumped because my post is waiting approval of some pictures!

37L, that's a nice footbridge. Scratch-built, kit-bashed or ...?

Thanks; it's two hornby R.481's. I bought one second hand and managed to take it to pieces and salvage most bits, then bashed together with a second new kit. I've been looking for another to extend across to the backscene but very scarce so I might have to scratch build, a retirement project? [7 years to go!]

Testing signals in programs.

Rewiring power to layout. Adding a fused, switched spur with red neon light, to one of the upright supports then running feed to other side of support leg and adding a slim strip, 4 gang socket, which wll give me power sockets for elink, loco detection, lighting and one spare socket. I will be able to switch on and off from the fused spur, it will be much easier, much tidier and safer.

Hopefully if I still have time I will be adding speed limit signs to other side of the layout.

Well I would have been fitting lights to my Class 56 (the Class 90 which is in UK will have to wait a few weeks until I get there), but our once a week postman didn't have a parcel from Express Models, so I will have to fine tune my SCARM layout for my planned build 14 ft x 8 ft shed in UK.

My Class 37 TTS diesel works well with Express Models directional lights kit operating on F0 and Maplins side looking yellow led cab lights operating on F25.

The steamers won't get lights as my podgy fingers and ageing eyes couldn't hope to install those super but incredibly tiny oil lanterns available from DCC Concepts.

I would also have been fitting bespoke nameplates to my Class 37 after its repaint, but I am waiting a final quote before I can order them up. When its finished I'll post a picture of it in its RAF livery. I was going to replicate the Police Car Class 37 (Google Class 37 Police Car TV advert) but decided in favour of my unique Heritage Railway scheme instead..

Still Tidying!

Sorting locos into variopus draws in saome new plastic units I've bought and grouping them into various Priorities for chipping.

I've also been re-wheeling some Airfix Wagons (blue box and GMR) with hornby Metal Wheels.

Finally got the main-line on my model totally clear of stock so I thought I'd test my P2. It managed to pull 13 Gresley's (4 sleepers, 4 Brakes and 5 Composites). All being of the older or railroad type.

Test run my Railroad Hunt at full speed only to remember that I hadn't put the lift out section back - slammed the elite int reverse, hit the emergency stop and the loco skidded to a halt with the coupling overhanging a 1 metre drop onto a hard floor - Much too close for comfort!

...only to remember that I hadn't put the lift out section back - slammed the elite int reverse, hit the emergency stop and the loco skidded to a halt with the coupling overhanging a 1 metre drop onto a hard floor - Much too close for comfort!

My next layout has a planned lift out section for access to the inner sanctum and after reading about the number of people who have had near misses over the chasm, I will be trying to devise an automatic barrier that raises when the lift out section is 'er lifted out'.

Simple manual barriers have been suggested like a couple of bits of 2"x1" across the rails at the gap, but that relies on the hand of dog, which can be a bit forgetful at critical times.

Found another R.051S in the Spares/Repair drawer that's a non-runner ...

So looks like tomorrow is this one's turn. Took the base plate off gently and lo and behold the pick up wire had come off. Fingers crossed that this is all that was wrong unless of course  the owner pulled it off when trying to fault-find.

Pulled it apart and as I was cleaning the pickup the soldering tab came away. :(

Put the motor into the first one that I fixed yesterday and at least the motor is okay so I was thinking it was the connection to the pick up afterall but...

After I rewired the second one as I did yesterday it still does not go. :(

My good lady said to say that I am as crook as an old mongrel dog this weekend and I am going to take a three day break. I'll then get the multimeter and check for continuity. If no joy I will start a new thread. Now how does the power get from the left side to the motor? What's that sweetheart?

...only to remember that I hadn't put the lift out section back - slammed the elite int reverse, hit the emergency stop and the loco skidded to a halt with the coupling overhanging a 1 metre drop onto a hard floor - Much too close for comfort!

My next layout has a planned lift out section for access to the inner sanctum and after reading about the number of people who have had near misses over the chasm, I will be trying to devise an automatic barrier that raises when the lift out section is 'er lifted out'.

Simple manual barriers have been suggested like a couple of bits of 2"x1" across the rails at the gap, but that relies on the hand of dog, which can be a bit forgetful at critical times.

If it's your next layout, i.e. still to be built, could you perhaps consider having the bus [or elite/RM] connection to the layout at the lift out section so it is disconnected when the section is removed?

Archived