What is everyone doing this weekend with their model railways?

Been busy installing platform lights and a dimmer control, just wonder if anyone else has tried this. My reason is to enable carriage lighting to show up more...pics attached.../media/tinymce_upload/FEB_1_001RES.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/FEB_1_002_RES.jpg

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...only to remember that I hadn't put the lift out section back - slammed the elite int reverse, hit the emergency stop and the loco skidded to a halt with the coupling overhanging a 1 metre drop onto a hard floor - Much too close for comfort!

My next layout has a planned lift out section for access to the inner sanctum and after reading about the number of people who have had near misses over the chasm, I will be trying to devise an automatic barrier that raises when the lift out section is 'er lifted out'.

Simple manual barriers have been suggested like a couple of bits of 2"x1" across the rails at the gap, but that relies on the hand of dog, which can be a bit forgetful at critical times.

I do have a sort of fail safe when I operate my layout properly in that my layout (although DCC) is devided into blocks with each mainline being fed downstram of the bridge. This leaves a dead section on approach to the bridge so in theory nothing should reach it. Trouble was I was running wrong line!

/media/tinymce_upload/P1000815.JPG

The U1 is nearly finished. I broke the whitemetal whistle so I have sent for a turned brass one, and I still need to add handrails to the cab and tender. The lead from pickup to motor needs to be re-soldered too. I will then paint it in BR mixed traffic lined black.

It doesn't care much for second or third radius curves as the front footsteps are just foul of the pony wheels, but as my layout will have a minimum 30" radius on the main line that should not be a problem. (it is sitting on third radius here).

U1 update. Whistle now fitted, hand rails to smoke deflector ditto, also front 'dummy' coupling and vacuum hose added. Will not get painted until the repairs to the conservatory have been completed next month, and when weather is warmer, as I usually spray outdoors.

I installed an Express Models lighting kit to my Railroad (ex Lima) Class 56 and rigged it for DCC sound. Just waiting for a replacement dummy bogie as the old one has a broken clip in the pivot thingy.

Nice body detail on this model with a detailed cab at each end and a Driver and his Mate at the pointy end as well as wire hand rails and tinted windscreen, etc.

If it's your next layout, i.e. still to be built, could you perhaps consider having the bus [or elite/RM] connection to the layout at the lift out section so it is disconnected when the section is removed?

@37L

I've been scheming up your suggestion and it makes good sense and is easy to implement.

If at either side of the 'drop' I make an isolated section long enough for any loco at max chat to safe stop, then I wire the liftout section back to the live bus via locking pins, this will do 2 jobs:

1. electrical connectivity of both isolated sections with the liftout section and the live main bus, 

and

2. physical alignment of the liftout section tracks with the main board.

So if I take out the lifting section I break the electrical circuit to the isolated sections thus safeguarding the 'hole'.  

U1 update. Whistle now fitted, hand rails to smoke deflector ditto, also front 'dummy' coupling and vacuum hose added. Will not get painted until the repairs to the conservatory have been completed next month, and when weather is warmer, as I usually spray outdoors.

Don't you have an indoor toilet then, LC?

I have decided to have a play with layout building again, as I wait for HRMS to make signals work correctly.

So this weekend I have made and fixed some Metcalfe's underpasses for 4 platforms.

I have also done first fix for station lighting on the first of my station platforms, I need to let them set in position before I wire them in. Fortunately, it will be an easy job because as all wiring from the switch to the cable connector beneath the platform is already in postion.  ;o)

I then need to think about station name signs, seats, flower boxes and plants, etc

With the completion on Saturday of the R.051S project I pulled out an R.855N LNER 4-6-2 Class A3 Flying Scotsman with corridor tender, firebox glow and (as James May would say) "realistic chuffing sound' with loco mounted X.04 motor. Very much a prod, prod to move model. It looks like it had a tumble with really bent front hook and one of the valve gear rods 'popped' out.

Stripped down to the wheels and the inverted plastic u-shape that holds the valve gear piece is broken on one side and cracked on the other. Have cleaned the motor and will think about how to glue the brackets back to gether or look through Peter's Spares for a replacement cylinder head.

I really like like how the motor (to me) is back to front and the diecast chamber for the firebox glow bulb is massive. Definitely no chance of a cracked plastic enclosure like in the old Hornby Halls.

/media/tinymce_upload/DSC00282_copy.jpgHi all

It has been just to hot to do much high 30's to 45c so all I have managed is a rough hedge that is long overdue  and a keep out sign.

Before any one asks about the green fixed distant signal in the picture its home made based on early signals and signal practices and is the thing that makes this layout mine.

regards John

Will be glueing together a valve gear assembly support and a drop of glue on the other on the old Flying Scotsman R.855N. Have already cleaned the motor and it runs quite well sans valve gear assemblies. Very quiet apart from the 'realistic chuffing sound'.

What is everyone doing this weekend with their model railways?

I've got two Hornby 1970's made R.866S B12's to restore, a Lima class 09 to rebuild and a pile of empty Tri-ang and Hornby boxes to burn. Should could keep me busy.

What sort of triang and hornby boxes have you got please

Have reassembled the valve gear on the R.855N Flying Scotsman but alas the attempted repair to the broken bracket that holds the top of the valve gear slide (I'm sure that's not the correct name) did not work as hoped. The rear part of the bracket is firmly in place but the front part is very thin and parts of its edges are missing. My attempt at bonding failed as soon as I placed the valve gear part into it. A drop of glue was all I could do to make it look complete.

As I said before the clean and oil have revived the motor but I still have a wobble when running the loco like a duck with its tail wagging back and forth.

A rear wheel on the pony truck has been damaged and the front driving wheel axle has a lot of play so I'm thinking more and more that she's been dropped. Perhaps it's the play that's causing the wobble and I have no idea how to fix that. A donor may be the future for this one.

Last week I put 5 pairs of platform station lights on one of my island platforms. All doubles.

This weekend I am wiring in 4 single lamps to the station at the other side of the rails.

I am also preparing some station seats from a Metcalfe kit

I have looked on the internet for station name signs, not the print outs but the uprights and board to put the station name on.  If I can't get them I think I might make them. Has anyone see any of these for sale?

PJ

Having recently purchased sound engines and set up a DCC track I have somehow stpooed them working by trying to change the locomotive addresses from the default seting of 03. So I will be reading all the info that came with the engines and the Select unit to get them operating. If not I will be putting an e-mail for the staff at Hornby technical dept. asking for assistance.

Archived